Ready Player One movie (spoilers!)

Darwin

Journeyed there and back again
If you do not want the movie or book spoiled for you, please refrain from reading further.

So they just rewrote the entire story? lol! I liked the movie a lot, but I'm feeling this deep sense of disappointment that I didn't get to see the movie I expected. I liked the new I-ROK. Art3mis's new role is amazing, but Wade was left contributing very little. The new Og is a travesty. Book IOI was threatening, movie IOI was cartoonish. Book contest: focus was strongly on spreading Halliday's love for 80s nerd culture; movie contest: focus was strongly on understanding Halliday's friendship with Og.

That's what I thought. What did you think about the movie?

Khartun

I agree.

I thought the movie had much more of a YA feel to it than the book. I can understand them changing some of the pop culture references to newer stuff but everything? I guess if you don't take the book into consideration the movie is OK.

Darwin

Glad these are in spoilers. Haven't seen it yet but poked in because I thought the previews looked somewhat interesting but odd. Did you guys like the movie?
I really liked it! There are a ton of changes from the book, and it's not a masterpiece, but it's worth seeing imo.

Khartun

Glad these are in spoilers. Haven't seen it yet but poked in because I thought the previews looked somewhat interesting but odd. Did you guys like the movie?
Yes, it's a good movie. Just don't go in expecting it to be like the book. To me it has much more of a YA feel to it.

btkong

Staff member
Been a few months since I hopped in. Going to be seeing this one in a few days. Looking forward to it! Love love the book.