Recommend me 3 audiobooks!

afa

Journeyed there and back again
Audible Canada just had a promotion going on to celebrate their third anniversary, and they were giving three credits (1 that you get anyway plus 2 bonus credits) for new members.

As a side note, they also give away 1 free Editor's Pick every month, and this month's free pick was Red Rising by Pierce Brown, which I've heard good things about so obviously snapped it up.

Anyway, I need recommendations for my 3 free credits. I suppose I could get 3 books from a massive series I haven't read, like Malazan, but I'd still need to buy more books later. So currently, I'm thinking maybe the best strategy would be to get either 3 standalone books, or 3 books in a completed trilogy. For the former, I'm thinking The Curse of Chalion and Paladin of Souls by Lois McMaster Bujold and maybe something by Guy Gavriel Kay, who I've never read. How about Dune? I know it's technically part of a series, but I believe I've read that the first one can be read on its own? I don't like American Gods or China Mieville. For a trilogy, maybe The Broken Earth trilogy by N.K. Jemisin. Alternatively, books 2-4 of the Acts of Caine (I've read the first one).

What do you guys think? Is my approach right? What audiobooks would you recommend?

P.S. I'm open to SF suggestions, too. I haven't read a ton, but I like Arthur C. Clarke, liked Timothy Zahn's Spinneret, the first Expanse and two-thirds of Seveneves. Read but didn't really like The Moon is a Harsh Mistress.

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
I don't recommend reading Malazan in audiobook form, it's too complex for that. Great for re-reading though.
Dune is an excellent choice. I read it and you can honestly treat it as a standalone.
I also recommend Hyperion Cantos (4 books) by Dan Simmons if you haven't read it. Probably my favorite SF series ever.
Anything by Stephen King if you like him is awesome, especially The Stand. I enjoyed that audiobook a lot.

Steven Pacey, the narrator for Abercrombie's books is amazing, but you probably read Abercrombie.

afa

I don't recommend reading Malazan in audiobook form, it's too complex for that. Great for re-reading though.
Dune is an excellent choice. I read it and you can honestly treat it as a standalone.
I also recommend Hyperion Cantos (4 books) by Dan Simmons if you haven't read it. Probably my favorite SF series ever.
Anything by Stephen King if you like him is awesome, especially The Stand. I enjoyed that audiobook a lot.

Steven Pacey, the narrator for Abercrombie's books is amazing, but you probably read Abercrombie.
Agreed about Malazan. I have Deadhouse Gates on Audible, and have tried listening to it but can't seem to enjoy it. Something about the way Malazan is written doesn't lend itself to audiobooks.

Good to know about Dune. The movie is coming out soon, which is tempting me to read the book before...

I actually have Hyperion (the first book, I mean) but haven't read it, yet. So I guess I could buy the remaining 3 with the credits. Are they all good? I've heard that the first 2 are good but the second two aren't at the same level.

The Stand is actually one of the books on my shortlist. I've read The Dark Tower by King, which I liked, and a short-story collection by him (Four Past Midnight, I think?) many years ago, which I actually also thought was good. But I also read Carrie and Dolores Claiborne years ago and disliked them both, so I'm not even sure if I like Stephen King or not.

I've actually read, rather than heard, all of Abercrombie's novels. But I had the pleasure of experiencing Steven Pacey on Abercrombie's short story collection (Sharp Ends) and, yeah, he's awesome.

Alucard

Staff member
I've heard that the first 2 are good but the second two aren't at the same level.
To be fair to Simmons, he wrote 2 books. The only reason we have 4, is because the publishers back in 80s were scared shitless of big tomes. So they chopped it up. That's why I find it incomprehensible when people read only Hyperion and stop. I got to tell you, the book doesn't really end. It's very abrupt and artificial ending, because it was made by the publishing suits not by the writer.
As far as the ''second two" are concerned I can't say I agree. As I said I love the story he wrote, what he was trying to convey, I love his writing. I think Dan Simmons is one of the best writers as far as that art/craft goes in general (that I had a pleasure of reading anyway).
Something about the way Malazan is written doesn't lend itself to audiobooks.
It's just a lot of characters, plots and dialogues to keep track off. Truly an epitome of epic.
The Stand is actually one of the books on my shortlist. I've read The Dark Tower by King, which I liked,
I think since you like TDT, there's a greater chance you'll like The Stand. The tone of both is similar, and both are apocalyptical in a sense. There's also character crossover of a major character from TDT.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
To be fair to Simmons, he wrote 2 books. The only reason we have 4, is because the publishers back in 80s were scared shitless of big tomes. So they chopped it up. That's why I find it incomprehensible when people read only Hyperion and stop. I got to tell you, the book doesn't really end. It's very abrupt and artificial ending, because it was made by the publishing suits not by the writer.
As far as the ''second two" are concerned I can't say I agree. As I said I love the story he wrote, what he was trying to convey, I love his writing. I think Dan Simmons is one of the best writers as far as that art/craft goes in general (that I had a pleasure of reading anyway).
Agreed, his Hyperion and Endymion books are great. I like Hyperion a bit better though and especially book 1 (with the wholly different viewpoints per chapter. Really well written).

I must say though that I read some other books by him (The Terror, Carrion Comfort, Song of Kali) and these don't match his Hyperion/Endymion books in terms of quality in my view.

afa

I must say though that I read some other books by him (The Terror, Carrion Comfort, Song of Kali) and these don't match his Hyperion/Endymion books in terms of quality in my view.
That's interesting. I've frequently seen some of his books, particularly The Terror, on lists of best horror books.

Alucard

Staff member
I've read Song of Kali and loved it. I don't really look at it in that way, I just think his scope is much smaller, the ambition less. Because Hyperion Cantos is a Leviathan in terms of vision/execution. Plan to read those others you mentioned as well :)

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
Well.... it's not that these books are bad by any means. In fact, I really enjoyed the Terror and I also liked Song of Kali (although I didn't care for Carrion Comfort at all).

It's just that in my view Hyperion/Endymion are in my top 10 series I've ever read and I consider them to be literary master pieces (not overreacting here), hence my remark (which might have sounded a bit unfair).

Alucard

Staff member
Well.... it's not that these books are bad by any means. In fact, I really enjoyed the Terror and I also liked Song of Kali (although I didn't care for Carrion Comfort at all).

It's just that in my view Hyperion/Endymion are in my top 10 series I've ever read and I consider them to be literary master pieces (not overreacting here), hence my remark (which might have sounded a bit unfair).
Yeah I think we mostly agree. I would definitely consider Hyperion Cantos a masterpiece as well. @afa better get on it! :pompus:

afa

Yeah I think we mostly agree. I would definitely consider Hyperion Cantos a masterpiece as well. @afa better get on it! :pompus:
I intend to! I don't think I'll use these audiobook credits on it, since I don't get the opportunity to listen to them much these days, but I'll probably buy the ebooks in the near future once I start reading the first one.