Recommend me a 2018 published book you've read that is good.

Jon Snow

No Power in the Verse can stop me
Staff member
Recs please. A bit out of the loop. Still reading Oathbringer...it's so damn slow.

Khartun

Journeyed there and back again
I have not read it yet but I've seen several good reviews about Master Assassins by Robert V.S. Redick.

Of course, there is the latest Iron Druid.

It actually came out in 2017 but All Systems Red by Martha Wells is awesome and the next in the series comes out in May.

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
2017, but well worth a read Blackwing by Ed McDonald. 2nd book is coming out in June (Ravencry).
Also 2017, same situation, second book coming out in July (Bloody Rose). Kings of the Wyld by Nicholas Eames.

Both of these are debuts and really awesome.

Reading the last Iron Druid now, and it's ok I guess. It's standard fare, if you like this series in general, you'll like this book as well.

Khartun

2017, but well worth a read Blackwing by Ed McDonald. 2nd book is coming out in June (Ravencry).
Also 2017, same situation, second book coming out in July (Bloody Rose). Kings of the Wyld by Nicholas Eames.

Reading the last Iron Druid now, and it's ok I guess. It's standard fare, if you like this series in general, you'll like this book as well.
Another vote for Kings of the Wyld! It was good fun.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member

I've decided not to carry on with Iron Druid. I was a little bit bored during the last one, and based on what you've said about this one it kind of reinforces my stance. It's one of those where i feel he's just dragging it out now. I'm a seasoned enough reader now to know when a series should stop, and this one has gone past that point.

On topic ... sorry, no recs from me. Hi Jon !

kenubrion

Also late 2017 is Quillifer. I read it when it came out and just loved it. By sci-fi master Walter Jon Williams, his first fantasy, start of a series.

ExTended

Senlin Ascends by Josiah Bancroft is quite good and genre-bending. It got a lot of love from the SPFBO crowd a year or two back. It's a 2018 trad publication of what was previously a self-published series. The first book came out somewhere in January I think, the second was out in late March or early April, and the third book in the series is expected sometimes later this year, in the fall if I am not mistaken, so three books in the same year.

Master Assassins by Robert V.S. Redick is somewhere between very good and great, mostly for having a well-written duo of characters who are brothers and are in big trouble, and hunted by their own army, because they've kind of crossed the wrong people who are leading it. A very strong desert setting also.

Iron Gold by Pierce Brown is... decent. Good even. Almost great. Well, half of it is a complete crap, the other half is awesome. The problem is they are both there.

If you follow Heartstriker series - Last Dragon Standing makes a solid final run for the series. But if you aren't - there are 4 books before that one, so there's that.

Last edited:

kenubrion

The third book of the Twelve Kings of Sharakhai series (Song of Shattered Sands) came out last month and it is as great as the previous two. Bradley Beaulieu has become my favorite author.

GreyMouser

One more vote for Kings of the Wylde.

Maark Abbott

Kings of the Wyld is OK. It hasn't lived up to the hype for me at this stage (around halfway in). I think maybe it's too lighthearted for my tastes, and it has a pacing issue in that it only seems to go at breakneck speed.

Haven't tried Blackwing - the thinness of the book itself is an issue for me (the same reason I've not really delved into The Witcher as of yet).

The only published book of 2018 that I really know is my own but self promo here would be a bit scummy.

GreyMouser

Kings of the Wyld is OK. It hasn't lived up to the hype for me at this stage (around halfway in). I think maybe it's too lighthearted for my tastes, and it has a pacing issue in that it only seems to go at breakneck speed.

Haven't tried Blackwing - the thinness of the book itself is an issue for me (the same reason I've not really delved into The Witcher as of yet).

The only published book of 2018 that I really know is my own but self promo here would be a bit scummy.
If you haven't been listening to the soundtrack as you read I would highly recommend it. https://nicholaseames.com/soundtrack/

He also has a playlist set up on spotify that makes it fairly easy.

Maark Abbott

If you haven't been listening to the soundtrack as you read I would highly recommend it. https://nicholaseames.com/soundtrack/

He also has a playlist set up on spotify that makes it fairly easy.
That'll be a pass here - I don't listen to specific playlists for reading. Seems gimmicky. Also doesn't help that the soundtrack as described sounds like my musical version of a nightmare.