Recommend me some Anime series/movies?

Discussion in 'Anime & Manga' started by ExTended, Nov 29, 2016.

1. ExTended

ExTended Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune

My first post in this sub-forum, yey!

So I am in a need of some anime recommendations. I know of the sister site full of them, but I am not as well-versed in animes as I should be in order to find exactly what I want I suppose.

What do I want in an anime series - interesting characters, the closer it is to fantasy, the better. Not that I am against stranger worlds and plots, but I am trying to slowly ease myself into this medium of entertaiment and as a person who reads mainly fantasy from all the genres, I feel in my element with such kind of stories.

What I have experienced so far:

Fullmetal Alchemist as a teenager - I've liked it enough to go through all of it. Not sure if it was The Brotherhood version.

Bleach - the first 100 - 150 episodes or so. I've liked it well enough, but it started to get a little bit... repetitive by that point.

Spice and Wolf - I've actually picked this one up, because of the site. The first season was very good. It was similar to The Dagger and the Coin book series experience, where something more grounded and slow actually brings you immense enjoyment. I don't know how I've felt about the second season though, the nakedness was quite more than in the first and I am not sure this is my cup of tea in an anime. Not that I shy away from it or that I am against it, however, it's just strange.

Shinsekai Yori - I've actually liked this very much, especially how the story ended and it all made sense in the end. I have found this one in the sister site also.

So yeah, that's pretty much it. If it's fantasy or close to it, if it's having some entertaining story and especially if the characters are interesting, then I'd probably be interested in it. I enjoy Matrim Cauthon, Kvothe, Locke Lamora, Royce and Hadrien( bromance and esquisite banter) characters in my books, so if there are characters like that in some animes - I am your man!

EDIT: I have almost forgot - I am not interested in the manga editions going with the animes, just the series/movies. So any recommendation should be able to be entertaining by themselves and the stories would be preferably standings on their own.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Nov 29, 2016
  2. Matticus Primal

Matticus Primal Journeyed there and back again

This was/ is a very timely post since last night I spent a half hour scrolling through hulu's anime section searching for something new to watch (preferably dubbed since I am not a purist). I actually ran across Spice and Wolf and passed it by, so it looks like I need to go back and give it a shot.

On Netflix for fantasy I enjoyed Moribito and to a lesser extent Murder Princess (Hulu). It's been a few years, but I enjoyed Berserk at the time. Can't say I remember anything else other than that I have fond memories though, which might not be a good sign.

They're sci-fi, but I also enjoyed Parasyte and Psycho-pass.

3. Rebelliott

Rebelliott Stood on the wall with Druss

Howls moving castle, Princess Mononoke, Nausicaa and the valley of the wind, all great Studio Ghibli movies

4. Matticus Primal

Matticus Primal Journeyed there and back again

If memory serves, Neil Gaiman did the English dialogue for Princess Mononoke.

5. Anti_Quated

Anti_Quated Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune

Princess Mononoke is my favourite Ghibli/Miyazaki film. Still a great watch all these years later, one of the corpus of great anime that feels poignant, relevant, and immersive without drowning under the morasses of fan-service and chibi antics.

I'd also recommend Ghost in the Shell (the films), as well as Stand Alone Complex but they're very digital age/sci-fi focused on questions of determining sentience and the value of organic cells when everything can be codified or replicated synthetically.

As far as a Fantasy feel, Ninja Scroll is a classic that's very watchable, though not with little ones around, but it's full of wacky demons, ninjas, magic, great action scenes and a lightly-historical background (Tokugawa shogunate era), and the coolest vagabond swordsman I've ever encountered in anime. Different vein to Howl's... et al, but still a great flick. Replete with a slew of choice quotes when sharing a horn or two of liquor around an open fire ;)

6. Rebelliott

Rebelliott Stood on the wall with Druss

Yep, Mononoke is a favourite of mine, I love watching it a couple of times every year, and it only seems to improve with age. :)

7. Lyric Blade

Lyric Blade Philosophizes with Kellhus

Have you tried Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit? It is my single favorite anime of all time. It is not merely like fantasy, it is full fledged fantasy anime based on a series of Japanese fantasy novels. Sadly, they only ever made a first season, but I believe there may be a manga that adapts more of the books.

To describe Moribito in very general terms so as to spoil nothing: in terms of quality, the atmosphere and feel of the world and story, it is an oriental Lord of the Rings with Eowyn as the main character, protecting a young boy from the emperor. The scope and cast of characters is smaller, only humans (mostly) but otherwise it really is that good. At least that was my experience.
    The only other cartoon show of any kind I've seen in its league is The Last Air Bender or any of the better Hayao Miyazaki movies when it comes to anime in particular.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
  8. Maark Abbott

Maark Abbott Journeyed there and back again

Izetta: The Last Witch

Top pick of the year for me

9. Noor Al-Shanti

Noor Al-Shanti Philosophizes with Kellhus

Definitely try the Miyazaki Movies, especially Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind and Princess Mononoke.

Also, Conan the Future Boy is a pretty awesome anime - not strictly fantasy, but it's kind of post-apocalyptic, so the world is pretty low-tech. Not sure if you can find a good English version, but it is out there in French and a couple of other languages, no official English translations, but I've seen dubs pop up from time to time.

Again, not strictly fantasy, but give HunterxHunter a try. I watched the 2011 version and while there were a couple of points where I had to work at sticking with it got really, really good.

10. Maark Abbott

Maark Abbott Journeyed there and back again

Some more:

Fantasy: Re:Zero (Strong psych horror elements), DanMachi (Is It Wrong to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon?) including Sword Oratorio, KonoSuba (very much a comedy fantasy), Chain Chronicle, Berserk

Comedy: Noucome (My Mental Choices are Completely Affecting my School Romantic Comedy), KonoSuba, Monster Musume (if you're warped like me, anyway), Gabriel DropOut

Action/adventure (non fantasy setting): Youjo Senki, Izetta (as before), Asterisk War, Lostorage Incited WIXOSS, AOT

Other (slice of life, psychological): Kuzu no Honkai, Flying Witch, Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon

I may have more but that's it off the top of my head for now.

11. Bierschneeman

Bierschneeman Journeyed there and back again

For anime, fantasy, I avoid like the plague, where as I usually am drawn to it in other media.

I tend to prefer sci-fi, or modernist animes. So if you want suggestions of that sort I can give you. (I'd also put full metal alchemists in that genre quicker than fantasy, maybe sci-fantasy)

12. Jaden_Diamondknight

Jaden_Diamondknight A farm boy with a sword

If you want to keep it up in terms of being Fantasy Anime, you could watch Yona of the Dawn and/or Shirayuki Hime.

If you just want anything, watch the Akira movie. Or the Memories short films. :p

13. Vasher

Vasher Helped Logen count his fingers

You like fantasy you say? You liked how grounded and slow Spice and Wolf was, you say? Well then have I got the mother of all recommendations for you. Mushishi.

14. GreyMouser

GreyMouser Journeyed there and back again

Series:
    Attack on Titan -- (EXTREME VIOLENCE) not pure fantasy but close IMO
    Berserk

Movie:
    Vampire Hunter D -- also not pure fantasy but from what I remember there were plenty of fantasy elements