Recommend some graphic novels...

Bill Door

Killed a Balrog
I was thinking I'd start to get into them and am looking for recommendations to check out. My plan is to start with Neil Gaiman's Sandman.

Anti_Quated

Journeyed there and back again
Saga. @khrm was asking about it, so I'll post my response here for your edification:

Brian K. Vaughan's seminal meisterwork (IMO). They're graphic novels/comics, informed as much by Star Wars as Liquid TV and other semi-obscure animation geared toward a more adult demographic. It's about a young family; Mum and Dad are from opposing sides of an interstellar proxy war, yet fall in love and are on the run with their newborn from both sides because of the danger their romance presents to established cultural narratives and agitprop, as well as myriad bizarre characters, bounty hunters, secessionists, philosophers, disembowelled ghost teenagers, etc.

It's great fun, offers some thoughtful views on armed conflict and politics, but it's very character and relationship driven with some charming and all-too-familiar renditions of what constitutes parenthood. A thoroughly engaging and entertaining world that parallels much of our own, though definitely not for younger readers. A heart-warming, provocative, and endearing adventure thus far, so I'm looking forward to getting the next volume. Recommend it, lighter in some ways though there's still all the moral ambiguity of the real world present and accounted for - but there's a balancing element of hope and perseverance which charmed the hell out of me. A sort of you-and-me against the universe, with Arachnid bounty-hunter wet dreams, talking cats, Robot monarchies, and an organic tree-rocketship. It's that good :D

Derk of Derkholm

I've never been into comic books or superheroes, but I remember being blown away when I discovered Maus.
I agree! Maus is a very strong story and deserves a wide readership.

You might also want to have a look at Barefoot Gen, an anime about the atomic bombing of Hiroshima written and drawn by a survivor.

fbones24

I was thinking I'd start to get into them and am looking for recommendations to check out. My plan is to start with Neil Gaiman's Sandman.
Don't start with Sandman. The reason I say this is once you do, nothing else will really compare. In my humble opinion, everything else pales in comparison to Sandman. It's probably my favorite series ever, graphic or otherwise.

Travis

Has Danced with Dragons
I have to third the recommendation for Maus. It's essential and it's fantastic. Are there any genres within Graphic Novels you're thinking of specifically because I could recommend a very wide range of things. The Walking Dead is amazing (and in my opinion is better than the show). Seconds and Lost at Sea by Bryan O'Malley (also did Scott Pilgrim). Ghost World, Saga, V for Vendetta, Persepolis, Watchmen, and Fun Home are some of my other recommendations.

Placida

Owns a Ring of Power
If you can find Sandkings by G.R.R. Martin, that's a great GN. First appeared as a short story in Omni Magazine.

Book of Lost Souls (TradePaperback actually same as Sandman)

A Trade PaperBack is, by definition a collection of comics whereas a Graphic Novel is a closed end story.
There is overlap and gray areas.

Sparrow

If you can find Sandkings by G.R.R. Martin, that's a great GN. First appeared as a short story in Omni Magazine.

Book of Lost Souls (TradePaperback actually same as Sandman)

A Trade PaperBack is, by definition a collection of comics whereas a Graphic Novel is a closed end story.
There is overlap and gray areas.

OMG, that's a magazine I haven't read a reference to in ages... Omni!
My dad had a subscription to Omni. After he was done with it every month, it belonged to me!
What great covers, a mix of hard science and speculative science, interviews, fiction... with all the crap out there, it's not fair that Omni went under.:(

Vasher

Helped Logen count his fingers
  • The Sandman by Neil Gaiman
  • The Books of Magic by Neil Gaiman
  • Basically anything by Neil Gaiman
  • V for Vendetta
  • Watchmen
  • From Hell
  • Blankets by Craig Thompson

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
I just finished 3 compendiums of the the Walking Dead series. 1000+ pages each. They combine about 40 comics in 1 big book, which makes it resemble a graphic novel. The comics are awesome, way way better than the tv-show. I can definitely recommend it. Oh, one last thing; the art in the panels is all in black and white. Some people might not like this, but in my opinion it adds to the tone.