Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard

Jon Snow

No Power in the Verse can stop me
Staff member
An interesting book and melds a lot of different fantasy/sci-fi/comic book themes together in one book.

Character growth is very weak in my opinion and it seems not many people are able to do it well these days.

Maybe 6.5-7

Ser Pounce

Journeyed there and back again
Just finished Red Queen. It reminded me too much of Red Rising, but not nearly as good. None of the characters really struck a chord in me and the teenage romance and angst was a bit thick at times. The ending was interesting enough that I'll read the next book in the series but it won't be a book I can't wait to get my hands on. I rated it three stars on Goodreads but here I would give it 6.2/10.

Ser Pounce

Journeyed there and back again
@MorteTorment
I would like to at the end of the year, to use your ratings for our Best of 2015. This rating is out of 100, so you can do things like 8.6/10 or 4.3/10. Please only rate or create a thread for a book that was first published in 2015. Addition comments as well if you like. Feel Free to start a thread like I have.
6.2/10 is just another way of saying I give Red Queen a 62 out of 100 rating.

Jon Snow

No Power in the Verse can stop me
Staff member
Alright, but it just makes it seem so arbitrary.
I don't get why you would be in the post talking smack. a) you haven't read the book b) be constructive and say what you think it should be rather than saying what we are doing is redundant or useless.

Rotten Tomatoes does out of a 100, why don't you go and write them a complaint. Heck, you might be really busy with other websites that do the same thing too.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
Some feel a 10 point scale isn't nuanced enough. You can still give a score of 6.0-7.0-8.0 etc if you want, but it leaves room for those wanting to give a more specific score. Win-win for both types of people.
I agree. A 10 point scale is not nuanced enough in my opinion. There's a big difference between getting a 76/100 or a 84/100 (almost a full point difference), yet without decimals you would round both of to 8. I really like how big websites like Rotten Tomatoes, IMDb and GoodReads use a decimal system.

MorteTorment

Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune
I don't get why you would be in the post talking smack. a) you haven't read the book b) be constructive and say what you think it should be rather than saying what we are doing is redundant or useless.

Rotten Tomatoes does out of a 100, why don't you go and write them a complaint. Heck, you might be really busy with other websites that do the same thing too.
Whoah! Easy man. I see your point, but you're taking this far too personally.

Come on man, I never went after the book. and I never went after anyone specifically, just the idea, which again, I understand now. I've never even heard of the book until this topic, and was hopign to learn something about it..

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
Forum fight! <gets popcorn>