Redwall

Zymologist

Has been in the eye of the world
Did any of you guys ever read the Redwall books by Brian Jacques? I loved them when I was younger, and have fond memories of them. I'm even tempted, occasionally, to re-read one of them, but I'm afraid that I'll ruin the nostalgia. They're sure not what I like to read now.

Prometheus

Killed in the battle against the Mad King
I read them and absolutely loved them. Wasn't it Matheus or something? In fact, Ken Follet Pillars of the Earth and World without End put me in mind of adult versions.

Might read it again myself.

blitzburns4

Owns a Ring of Power
Read the first two books awhile back. Great books, and I hear they only get better and better. Going to have to get back to them one day. May Brian Jacques rest in piece.

Zymologist

It's been a long time since I read them, but I had read nearly all of them (minus 3, maybe), and liked them all. If you liked the first 2, check out the rest.

moonspawn

Journeyed there and back again
I have very fond memories of this series. I won't re-read them for the same reason I won't re-read Harry Potter. I don't want to ruin the nostalgia.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
Never read Belgariad.
I found it obnoxious. But I'd read Erikson, Donaldson, Tolkien, and a whole lot more by the time I got around to it. I can totally see where Antoxx is coming from. I'd probably have a very different opinion if I'd read it earlier.

moonspawn

You guy's and gals have given me an idea for a new thread. Popularity versus greatness.

Antoxx

I found it obnoxious. But I'd read Erikson, Donaldson, Tolkien, and a whole lot more by the time I got around to it. I can totally see where Antoxx is coming from. I'd probably have a very different opinion if I'd read it earlier.
Yeah, you've got to think 20 plus years ago. I only read them, like 10 times or something. ;-)

Zymologist

I have very fond memories of this series. I won't re-read them for the same reason I won't re-read Harry Potter. I don't want to ruin the nostalgia.
You'll be hard-pressed to find someone that dislikes Harry Potter more than I do, but I agree about Redwall.

moonspawn

You'll be hard-pressed to find someone that dislikes Harry Potter more than I do, but I agree about Redwall.

What don't you like about Harry Potter? Certainly your age and the time you originally read it plays a crucial in how much you enjoyed or didn't enjoy it but I'm just curious.

Zymologist

What don't you like about Harry Potter? Certainly your age and the time you originally read it plays a crucial in how much you enjoyed or didn't enjoy it but I'm just curious.
I read it when I was in college, probably 5 years ago. So not a real long time ago. Also, I had not yet discovered my favorite authors, i.e., Abercrombie, Martin, Erikson, etc.

I'm going to, in all good humor, put on my elitist jerk hat for a minute. Everything I say from this point on is meant to be read accordingly.

My opinion of Harry Potter can be summed up by a phrase in a news story I read, about a year ago, before Rowling had published her most recent book (the non-Potter mystery one). The article basically said, "J.K. Rowling is releasing another book, and this one is for adults!"

I found the series to be simplistic and juvenile. Interestingly, anytime I mentioned this to a fan, they would never deny it; rather, they would defend the books by saying that they were originally written for kids. And it would be an adult saying this to me.

Which is fine; I don't much care what other people like to read.

I read the books when I was beginning to realize my cynical streak in fiction, and I think it may have been this that irked me to no end. I remember the books as being cliche and goofy.

Also, Harry Potter has been enshrined by pop culture as the ultimate in fantasy books. When I tell someone that I like to read fantasy, and they say, "Oh, then you must like Harry Potter!", I become very sad.

All that said, if I re-read the Redwall books, or Eddings' Belgariad, I'm convinced that I would feel much the same way.

Ok, my elitist jerk hat is off now.

moonspawn

Harry Potter is juvenile and simplistic and it was originally written with a young audience in mind. I can understand why you might be upset if you people assume you must like Harry Potter; Harry has definitely become a cultural icon. It is cliche and I guess it is goofy. I agree with everything you said but I and millions of other people still have very fond memories of it from when they were kids. I read it way before I become a truly avid reader and understood what constitutes greatness in fantasy.

Hand of Fear

I haven't read Harry Potter but even if it was written for children, it can still be enjoyed by adults there's a few books mentioned on this very site that are listed as being for 'kids' but also appeal to adults.

Zymologist

Harry Potter is juvenile and simplistic and it was originally written with a young audience in mind. I can understand why you might be upset if you people assume you must like Harry Potter; Harry has definitely become a cultural icon. It is cliche and I guess it is goofy. I agree with everything you said but I and millions of other people still have very fond memories of it from when they were kids. I read it way before I become a truly avid reader and understood what constitutes greatness in fantasy.
That's cool. Harry Potter is just one of those things that I find very easy to make fun of, for some reason. It can get me into trouble.

Also, because I just can't resist, Rowling's naming convention sounds like something from a bad parody. Dumbledore? Weasley?

But enough of me being a meanyhead.

I remember Jacques' book Matthias as one of my favorite Redwall books. Is that the one where he's taken by the slavers? I don't remember.

Zymologist

I haven't read Harry Potter but even if it was written for children, it can still be enjoyed by adults there's a few books mentioned on this very site that are listed as being for 'kids' but also appeal to adults.
I actually agree with this, I just like making fun of it. Feel free to go ahead and ignore my opinion of Harry Potter. :)

moonspawn

I remember Jacques' book Matthias as one of my favorite Redwall books. Is that the one where he's taken by the slavers? I don't remember.
Mossflower, Matthias, Martin the Warrior, Taggerung, Outcast of Redwall, The Long Patrol - so many favorites and good memories. Most books in this series are very good and different from each other but at some point Brian Jacques started producing the same thing he'd done before over and over again. I don't even know if he's still publishing books. Martin the Warrior is about the hero escaping from slavery. I barely remember Matthias.