Residential Libraries

wakarimasen

Journeyed there and back again
I recently found in the UK a very famous library that also has rooms for you to stay in and am determined to go there for a few days reading and writing. I was chatting about it to one of my cronies and we couldn't think of any other libraries that were similar. There seems to be a lot of folk on the boards from around the world so I wondered if anyone knew of similar places or ideas to this...
http://www.gladstoneslibrary.org/

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
Nothing like that around these parts I'm afraid. I did practically live in the reading room of my university's library during my bachelor studies and I don't have much desire to replicate that experience. :D
I'd rather be at home enjoying a cup of whichever hot beverage I fancy at the time and reading something I like ;)

As a side note Hawarden looks like a beautiful place, so you should go anyway. I would if I could :)

Boreas

Staff member
I love the idea of a library-cum-residence and would love to go there for little getaways. Never heard of anything like that before.

atheling

A Poet of the Khaiem
I recently found in the UK a very famous library that also has rooms for you to stay in and am determined to go there for a few days reading and writing. I was chatting about it to one of my cronies and we couldn't think of any other libraries that were similar. There seems to be a lot of folk on the boards from around the world so I wondered if anyone knew of similar places or ideas to this...
http://www.gladstoneslibrary.org/
groovy...

...never heard of anything like that before

Sir Arthur

Lots of folks seem to spend the night in bushes outside my local library, then sit inside and use the computers during business hours . From their smell, I'd say showers would be a nice addition.:stinkyfeet:

Derk of Derkholm

Lots of folks seem to spend the night in bushes outside my local library, then sit inside and use the computers during business hours . From their smell, I'd say showers would be a nice addition.:stinkyfeet:
I bet they would agree with that improvement.

The idea of a live-in library sounds very appealing to me, as well.

I fondly remember a place in Berlin called "Cafe Wintergarten" in the "Literature house Berlin" that I frequented sometimes some 20 years ago that was - if I remember it correctly - basically a combination of a bookshop and a coffeehouse, where you could enjoy a fabulous Sunday brunch and at the same time browse books, situated in an old villa with a nice garden. I am not sure if you are still able to browse books now or if the bookshop is now separated from the coffeehouse, but that is the way that I remember it.

Best regards,
Andy