Royal Road

Darwin

Journeyed there and back again
Has anybody else tried Royal Road? The entries in the site are mostly litrpg, wuxia/xianxia, etc. themed, sometimes with distressing anime tropes like harem-building. Some of the stories on there are pretty good. I liked Mother of Learning, Savage Divinity, and The Wandering Inn a lot! The writers add chapters usually 1-3 times a week and have been doing so for years, so in some cases the writing is a lot rougher in the first few chapters than the rest.

Darwin

I'm reading The Wandering Inn right now, and it's terrific. I was pretty disappointed by the first few chapters, because a lot of the main character's behavior didn't seem sensible (taking into account her circumstances). There were other flaws in the writing that pulled me out of the story; you'll know what I mean when you read through them. However, I was soon pleasantly surprised, and now almost every chapter is great. In fact, the worst chapter I've encountered was merely a setup for the next chapter, which was one of the best.

It's an interesting format. Hundreds of sprawling chapters. In some ways this is bad; forget about tight narrative arcs. It's like watching a series designed for maximum number of episodes, rather than something like a movie. However, this lets authors dedicate one or more chapters to whatever minutiae they'd like. So you get wonderful, elaborate magic systems like Sanderson's without the dense info dumps.

Make sure you look at not only the overall voted stats for a story, but also the reviews at the bottom of the page. Some of the stories have apparently evolved into trash as they've developed, but their vote scores are dominated by older votes. In the reviews, however, you'll get a breakdown of the problems in the story that have appeared.

afa

Thanks, appreciate the feedback. The only problem is that I don't know if I want to read such a long story on a laptop screen. I'm fine with short bursts, but for long narratives I prefer a book or Kindle. I'm now debating whether I should put down C$10+ for the 2 volumes currently available.

On the one hand, they are 2 massive volumes (almost 3,000 pages as per Amazon) and, from what you said, are really good and probably worth it. On the other hand, the fact that I'm paying for something that I can read for free (legally, I mean) will probably bug me... :D

ReguIa

they are 2 massive volumes (almost 3,000 pages as per Amazon) and, from what you said, are really good and probably worth it
Is this The Wandering Inn you're talking about? I've also heard a lot of great stuff about it but just like you I don't want to read it on my computer screen.