Sanderson the prolific writing man

Danica

Queen of the boards!
Staff member
http://www.brandonsanderson.com/blog/1186/State-of-the-Sanderson

Jon posted this in the chat and as i have been away a few days very busy with life outside of reading, i just saw it.

HOLY SHIT that man has a plan ... what is like .. a million books/novellas on his to do list???

"But part of the reason I'm so productive is because I allow myself freedom to work on different projects, instead of being beholden to one series"

This when I think about it makes sense, when I have a head of work to do i work that this ^^ also, bits of everything else I go insane. I just can't fathom how he even gets anytime to be with his family? Think he may burn out one day??

Amaryllis

Journeyed there and back again
Just because he has something on his to do list doesn't mean he'll actually ever get around to doing it, or that it won't be 8+ years before some of those come out if he does. I have like 40 ideas, and how many do you think are written? Obviously, the fact that writing is actually his job, whereas for me it's just my dream job, means he's more likely to hit more points off his list than I am given current circumstances. But still.

Arya Stark

Philosophizes with Kellhus
Well then, he is quite prolific. He must drink 5 cups of espresso with a shot of Redbull every morning!

Laurentius

Super Moderator
Staff member
Think he may burn out one day??
I haven't actually met Brandon, but I read most of his facebook/twitter updates and his blog every so often. He comes off as one of the most caring authors I've read stuff of off. He's very consistent in his updates to fans through facebook/twitter and his blog.
He does random "Brandalyzing" whenever he gets a chance and posts it to any lucky people (on facebook) who might be in the area. He invites people to come play magic the gathering with him whenever he's on a tour in a new city too.

I'd like to think that if he ever feels like it, he will just take the time off. The Stormfather knows he deserves it. If not, I'm sure his better half will make sure to make him take some time off! :D

I don't think there's a chance he'll burn himself out. He has posted a blogupdate like this a few times since he was first published, and he sticks pretty well to it, time permitting. As Amaryllis said, we might not see some of these in the near future, but I have faith in Brandon and think we'll see almost all of the books published. Has he written a book with bad sales yet? (must be a publishers dream to work with this guy right here!)

To me it seems like he has a masterplan with his Cosmere universe and has most (if not all) of the basic ideas for other world/stories down already. He just has to get around to writing em.

João Ribeiro

Danica, thanks for the link!
Sanderson is my favorite author and I'm quite fascinated with his cross series Cosmere plan. Regarding his writing speed, I think the man probably has a high work ethic and pattern and I think he doesn't suffer from writer's block very often. I hope he doesn't burn out because as far as I can tell he is getting better each book and even dabbling in YA he can still put out great quality.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
Well then, he is quite prolific. He must drink 5 cups of espresso with a shot of Redbull every morning!
You'd think. But a lot of Mormons (at least all the ones I've met, which is a fair number) avoid caffeine entirely.

sarumaniac

Knows how to pronounce Kvothe
"But part of the reason I'm so productive is because I allow myself freedom to work on different projects, instead of being beholden to one series"
I agree with this completely. Abercrombie wrote this on his blog when he announced the YA trilogy that he is writing.

Though I’m very happy with and proud of the result, Red Country was a difficult book to write. I felt at times somewhat uninspired. Somewhat burned out. I really didn’t want, as I had every time in the past, to go straight on to working on the next book in the First Law world right after finishing one. I felt the need to step back, recharge the batteries, try something at least a little bit different

Maybe we should make GRRM write a random solo book so he can get on with the rest of ASOIAF.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
I agree with this completely. Abercrombie wrote this on his blog when he announced the YA trilogy that he is writing.

Though I’m very happy with and proud of the result, Red Country was a difficult book to write. I felt at times somewhat uninspired. Somewhat burned out. I really didn’t want, as I had every time in the past, to go straight on to working on the next book in the First Law world right after finishing one. I felt the need to step back, recharge the batteries, try something at least a little bit different

Maybe we should make GRRM write a random solo book so he can get on with the rest of ASOIAF.
He spends so much time editing those Wild Card books, it amounts to the same thing.

Arya Stark

Philosophizes with Kellhus
I was in BAM the other day and saw wild card volume one. I considered grabbing it but I wasn't sure if it would be worth the time. I also saw a book by GRRM that had freaky or freaks in the name. If I hadn't had red country and heroes in my hand I'd have bought them.

Laurentius

Super Moderator
Staff member
So what exactly are the "Cosmere" books? I've never heard about it until now.
All his books, Mistborn, Way of Kings, Warbreaker and soon (except a few books) are set in the same universe, Cosmere. Sanderson has written some mmythology and what few scraps he has released to us can be found at a wiki page.

But it goes something like this. Once there was one god. Some event makes the god split into 16 shards. These shards are thrown into the universe of Cosmere, where they land on different planets/worlds. Sometimes it will be two opposing shards, like Ruin and Preservation (Mistborn), and sometimes it'll be a single shard.
These shards are picked up by a humanoid "wielder" which becomes somewhat of a god themselves, with the power and abilities of said shard.

Youcan find much more here: http://coppermind.net/wiki/Cosmere

It's all connected man!

moonspawn

HOLY SHIT that man has a plan ... what is like .. a million books/novellas on his to do list???
His plan is to keep on writing and get as much done as he can. So far he has exceeded exponentially at that. I just wish he would focus more on Stormlight Archives since I'm really excited to see the awesome places he takes that story. I agree with Amaryllis that it'll take way over 20 years to complete all that. Some of it will likely never be written, but with the speed he writes I'm not so sure. You don't need to write a sequel to everything. That's ridiculous.

Hand of Fear

Elantris is the first book of his that I'm reading, really like his writing style and the first chapter with Raoden really sets up the mood and the tone of the book I could almost feel myself walking through the streets of Elantris myself.

Will be good to see how everything ties up with the three protagonists and how it all fits together later on.

moonspawn

Elantris was the first book I read by him too. I read it on a road trip to the grand canyon. Great memories. Wait until you read Mistborn.... it blows Elantris right out of the water.

Frizzo0133

Is a wondrous friend of modest Kruppe
Elantris was the first book I read by him too. I read it on a road trip to the grand canyon. Great memories. Wait until you read Mistborn.... it blows Elantris right out of the water.
Mistborn blows allot of modern fantasy out of the water, lol.

I did the same thing as well, I heard about him finishing the WoT and wanted to know who in the hell had the nerve to try and do that so I grabbed Elantris, which I liked just fine but I wasn't convinced that he was the man for the job.

Then I read Mistborn, followed quickly by Well of Ascension, finally followed by a massive reader hissy fit that I had to wait a couple of months for Hero of Ages, lol.

Now anytime I hear he's got a book coming out I just go and buy it blindly the day it comes out just because I know that Sanderson wrote it and there is about a zero percent chance that I won't enjoy it immensely. Of course that habit can get a bit costly, lol, what's he up to at this point this year? Four books with Steelheart and the new Infinity Blade novella, the man is a Smurfing machine! If he decided to take a couple of years off at some point I'm not sure I'd hold it against him, well at least until I did the math on the delay of the next Stormlight book release...