Sanderson the prolific writing man

moonspawn

Journeyed there and back again
The only other modern fantasy writer that I can think of that I honestly think is better than Brandon Sanderson is Steven Erikson, but that's mainly because Malazan is such an overly-ambitious and complex series. Very few writers can even hold a candle to these guys. By modern I mean 21st century.

Sir Arthur

The only other modern fantasy writer that I can think of that I honestly think is better than Brandon Sanderson is Steven Erikson, but that's mainly because Malazan is such an overly-ambitious and complex series. Very few writers can even hold a candle to these guys. By modern I mean 21st century.
I agree. I think Sanderson is a better writer, but Malazan is a master piece. Stormlight could put Sanderson out front IMO. We'll see.

João Ribeiro

Now anytime I hear he's got a book coming out I just go and buy it blindly the day it comes out just because I know that Sanderson wrote it and there is about a zero percent chance that I won't enjoy it immensely.
Amen brother, Amen!

moonspawn

I agree. I think Sanderson is a better writer, but Malazan is a master piece. Stormlight could put Sanderson out front IMO. We'll see.

Like Malazan, Stormlight Archives is supposed to be a 10 book series. I hate to say it, but I'm hoping Stormlight Archives ends up better than Malazan. Gardens of the Moon is terrible compared to The Way of Kings, but we also have to look at this objectively, realizing that Brandon Sanderson started his epic series a much more experienced writer than when Steven Erikson started his. Thinking back to past Malazan books and thinking about how much Steven Erikson grew as a writer since the first book. Brandon Sanderson has grown a lot as a writer too, but I'm pretty sure he's reached his peak. I don't expect to get better, but I do expect him to stay consistent.

Hand of Fear

Elantris was the first book I read by him too. I read it on a road trip to the grand canyon. Great memories. Wait until you read Mistborn.... it blows Elantris right out of the water.
Sounds like I'm in for a right treat when I get around to reading Misborn then, and I have to say Elantris is in my top 5 of the best books I have read this year and I have read some outstanding books.

I like the way each chapter is assigned to the main protagonists I'm assuming it carries on like this throughout the rest of the book. Raoden chapters are my favourite so far and I think this is because he is in the city, and the way it is described is foreboding. The book has so many layers to it and it's great to see them building up from different perspectives, and I'm looking forward to finding out what happened to Elantris that made it such a depressing place.

moonspawn

A lot of reader were critical of Elantris because of shallow characterization which is true, but besides this it was an awesome book. I couldn't put it down. The magic system, the city of Elantris, and the plot are so intriguing.

Hand of Fear

I'm on page 83 of Mistborn The Final Empire which isn't a lot, but the book feels as if it was written by a completely different person. I didn't know until now that Elantris was written after TFE, so this would perhaps explain the weaker writing here and perhaps I build the book up a bit to much in my head after I was blown away by Elantris.

The characterization seems even weaker here and I'm also not feeling immersed in the environment, I didn't mind the lack of characterization in Elantris because I felt apart of that world. The plot so far seems to be based of simple revenge, but the way things are falling into place seems a little bit to easy. Kelsier seems to be a jumped up little brat and a smug know it all, and Vin is so preoccupied with being betrayed it leaves little room for anything else.

Hopefully this book will be slow burner, as it's very early days but I'm feeling a little dishearten by what I have read so far.

Laughing Mime

Mixes poisons and sharpens knives with Kylar
Not going to lie, i have a bit of a man crush on Sanderson.

He's got me so used to regular, quality releases that I'm getting annoyed at other mortal authors who are not writing series in their sleep.

Laughing Mime

Honestly its at the bottom of my list. I never connected with the main characters and found the fight scenes a bit boring due to how strong the Mistborn were.
I would have liked it better i think if she was one of the regular metal users with a lot more weaknesses than a Mistborn but used her talents & brains to work around it.

That said, the standalone book he wrote in the same world but at later date really hit the right chord with me. I really recommend 'The Alloy of Law" if you can't get through the Mistborn series.

Sorry bout the edit if you beat me to it, for some reason i thought you were on book 3! :).

moonspawn

I'm on page 83 of Mistborn The Final Empire which isn't a lot, but the book feels as if it was written by a completely different person. I didn't know until now that Elantris was written after TFE, so this would perhaps explain the weaker writing here and perhaps I build the book up a bit to much in my head after I was blown away by Elantris.

The characterization seems even weaker here and I'm also not feeling immersed in the environment, I didn't mind the lack of characterization in Elantris because I felt apart of that world. The plot so far seems to be based of simple revenge, but the way things are falling into place seems a little bit to easy. Kelsier seems to be a jumped up little brat and a smug know it all, and Vin is so preoccupied with being betrayed it leaves little room for anything else.

Hopefully this book will be slow burner, as it's very early days but I'm feeling a little dishearten by what I have read so far.

It sounds like you haven't payed much attention to the Mistborn discussion here. These are all common but somewhat misplaced complaints. The plot gets more and more epic as the series continue and the character development improves and is much better than Elantris. I remember I initially really liked the book but when the crew had their first underground meeting I was slightly disheartened because like you said, it all sounded too easy and the dialogue seemed so baaaaaaaaaaddd. For me it didn't take long for any and all complaints to become null and void. Mistborn is a very flawed but great mind blowing series.

Hand of Fear

Thanks for the feedback Moonspawn, will definitely keep on reading through this and I'm starting to get a better feel for the book now.

João Ribeiro

That said, the standalone book he wrote in the same world but at later date really hit the right chord with me. I really recommend 'The Alloy of Law" if you can't get through the Mistborn series.
Yup Alloy of Law is like a light take on Mistborn. Not so epic in scale but it's really really enjoyable. I think Sanderson was testing the waters for the next trilogy in the Mistborn world. As far as I'm concerned, he got it right!

And yes, despite all its flaws the Mistborn series pans out wonderfully!

Amaryllis

I don't even understand some of these complaints about Mistborn. The characterization of tertiary characters definitely isn't stellar (Breeze in particular, seems like Sanderson was just trying really hard to hit a specific personality so he could have it as part of his 'ragtag bunch of misfits' rather than because that character actually needed to exist), and the scenery building is definitely worse than Way of Kings, but like...I'm pretty sure you were supposed to have a mild dislike of Kelsier (the other characters talk about his shortcomings all the time).
And I think it was a big part of the plot as far as the characters were concerned that they were worried that Kelsier wasn't a good enough person to avoid becoming a second Lord Ruler, which is why they kept trying to rein him in.

Vin isn't that much different from Kaladin. They have both gone through an exaggeratedly shitty life. Her 'worried about betrayal' steadily tapers off, and at the beginning, assuming you buy into her story, it's totally understandable as a defense mechanism. Kaladin bellyaches and angsts for like half of the book, and honestly, I found his turnaround slightly less inspiring.

I mean, it's definitely not without its flaws. I didn't read it and go 'Holy diced tomatoes, this is the best thing I have ever read. This tops everything in every way.' But it's extremely easy to read, and I found it far less offensive in its shortcomings than a lot of the stuff I have read in the last year. To each their own, obviously, and I'm not trying to smother anybody else's opinions. This is just my favorite kind of discussion.

Hand of Fear

fight scenes a bit boring due to how strong the Mistborn were.
I have only read one fight scene so far when Kelsier went to House Venture, and I can see where you are coming from there.

I mean, it's definitely not without its flaws. I didn't read it and go 'Holy diced tomatoes, this is the best thing I have ever read. This tops everything in every way.' But it's extremely easy to read
Definitely easy to read and I'm getting into the book the more I read it, will post back here as I go along with my feelings.

Laughing Mime

I mean, it's definitely not without its flaws. I didn't read it and go 'Holy diced tomatoes, this is the best thing I have ever read. This tops everything in every way.' But it's extremely easy to read, and I found it far less offensive in its shortcomings than a lot of the stuff I have read in the last year. To each their own, obviously, and I'm not trying to smother anybody else's opinions. This is just my favorite kind of discussion.

Oh without a doubt i agree with you, compared to even the better authors around it is still a good series. Its not bad, its just his weakest work in my opinion.

I think the only reason I find fault in it is because I've read Sanderson's later work. When you are eating out at Michelin star restaurants regularly, your perspective of what constitutes a good meal might get a tad absurd.

Hand of Fear

Ok I'm about half way through book 1 of Mistborn, and my feelings have changed somewhat. This book seems to draw you in ever so slowly without you realising it, and I would describe the way the book has been written as 'Soft' writing it's really easy to read. I haven't found any part so far where I had to struggled or where I had to reread a paragraph/sentance.

I still think that Brandon's weakness is in his characterisation, and this seems to be a common theme from the books I have read so far. The only person I have found to be interesting is Lord Elrend, and since he doesn't seem to be a big player in the book so far then this speaks volumes.

This doesn't mean that I'm not enjoying it this book does have something, and when you are reading it you don't want to put it down but when you do it doesn't leave you thinking about it like other books I have read.

João Ribeiro

I still think that Brandon's weakness is in his characterisation, and this seems to be a common theme from the books I have read so far. The only person I have found to be interesting is Lord Elrend, and since he doesn't seem to be a big player in the book so far then this speaks volumes.
Well that will change in the second and third books, just give the characters some time to get fleshed out.
PS Thank you spell check, I almost posted flushed out instead of fleshed out.

moonspawn

This. Was. A. Stupid. Thing. For. Me. To. Say. I enjoy Brandon Sanderson's stories and think he has a lot of great ideas but he has such bland prose.