Sanderson the prolific writing man

João Ribeiro

Journeyed there and back again
Elantris was a torture for me. Boring characters, boring story and god awful and awkward romance. That book was an epitome of preachiness to me.
Yeah I really don't get the fans asking for the sequel.

And it's not about guts and entrails, or painful sex (what kind of books have you been reading Tom? :D),
Peter V. Brett I guess Thank God I'm now "warded" against his books.

I have only read Stormlight and Mistborn but João has Elantris toward the bottom of his list.
And coincidentaly Stormlight and Mistborn at the top.

It sits on my kindle and stares at me. I'm scared.
Really you're missing out, it's Sanderson's best work (the series) so far and Words of Radiance is even better than Way of Kings.

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
Peter V. Brett I guess Thank God I'm now "warded" against his books.
Now that was funny :D
Really you're missing out, it's Sanderson's best work (the series) so far and Words of Radiance is even better than Way of Kings.
Yeah, yeah. You guys don't need to sell it anymore. I'll try it very soon.

Alucard

Staff member
Sorry - I haven't really come across that term before, was just using it to differentiate Young Adult to, well, non-Young Adult.
I didnt even noticed you used it. I just hate using it personally. You can use whatever you want, no need to apologize. And yeah people usually use it to differentiate books that are not young adult fantasy.
But for me it just reminds me of triple x kind of books.

Danica

Queen of the boards!
Staff member
I love WoK and WoR and I loved Mistborn when I read it but probably wouldn't enjoy it much if I read it now. The last thing I read of his was Steelheart and I hated it. I also really liked the rithmatist and that was a WAY better YA novel and because of the crapiness of Steelheart won't pick up the next book in the series.

I will freely admit I lorded Sanderson as the coming king of Fantasy, I don't think of him as that anymore. I think if you pretend like anything outside of the Stormlight Archives doesn't exist you won't miss much.

HeroineOfCanton

Downed a vial of metals
Well, I might as well stake out my side now rather than waiting until I've been here for, oh, two days. ;)

I'm a Sanderson fan, and I would describe his prose as clean, as opposed to bland or simple or the other terms I've seen thrown out. But that can be a fine line, just like the line between complex, polished prose and pretention.

This is not to say that I don't have my issues. Mistoborn: TFE is fantastic. WoA is less good. HoA seriously problematic. But Alloy of Law is as much fun as I've ever had reading a book, and if it weren't for the coming of two Joe Abercrombie books this year, Shadows of Self would easily be my most anticipated new book of the year.

The Stormlight books are near the top of my TBR pile, but I think my husband and I are going to read those together, so it will be a matter of when we have the time to read them. (Yes, we read books out loud to each other. This is how married geeks spend a Friday night.)

And I think The Emperor's Soul is wonderful--a tightly focused character piece that I'd happily read more like.

The rest of Sanderson is further down the TBR pile. As I've mentioned other places on the board, I'm newish to fantasy, so I have lots to catch up on. Also, I'm a librarian and I run a classic lit book club for work, so a lot of my reading time is spent with that. For instance, there's been no fantasy in my life since I finished The Broken Eye back in December, because I'm making my way through Don Quixote.

ETA I lied. I finished up Sleeping Late on Judgement Day earlier this month.

ofer

I command thee, thread, to rise from the dead! Rise, Riiiiise!!!
I think you missed out on this thread for another kind of thread revive. l3gacy post made me laugh out loud.

I'm sort of in the middle regarding Sanserson. Not my favorite author but still a good read every now and then. By sheer accident (or maybe it's a cosmere thing, who knows), the only books I've read by Sanderson are the top 3 on your list - Mistborn (including Alloy of Law), Stormlight, and the Rithmatist. Really liked the Way of Kings and the first book of Mistborn. Probably the least good of them all was the second book of Mistborn, which felt like a disappointment after the first. The rest of them were in what Tom calls "liked but did not love camp". I'm yet to read anything bad by him, but also yet to read anything groudbreaking and unforgettable either.

Points in his favor are mainly the accessibility of his books, the attention to details and his storytelling. Against him - writing is too clean and neat, and some of his character types tends to repeat themselves in different books. Regarding his detailed magic systems, I don't find it that much of an advantage - in fact, I like a little bit of mystery regarding magic. Too much explanation can make magic sounds like a lab experiment. I'm not saying that there doesn't have to be an explanation at all - it sort of have to be somewhere in the middle.

As for the cosmere thing, if it wasn't for this forum I never would have noticed it.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
As for the cosmere thing, if it wasn't for this forum I never would have noticed it.
Yeah. Instead of "repetitive elements with an overarching plan" I would've just thought "repetitive elements due to lack of creativity." I'm still not sold on the concept of the Cosmere. I'm finding myself less and less enthusiastic about reading Sanderson as time goes on. I balked at the purchase price for WoR today. I'll wait until it's out in paperback (I will gladly mix hardcovers and paperbacks but will not mix ebooks and regular books within a series).

Hand of Fear

and I would describe his prose as clean, as opposed to bland or simple or the other terms I've seen thrown out.
Clean is very true, but I would also use the words simple and bland to describe some of his writing. I find that he can lack flair, there are a lot of other writers that can do this and excite me. Sanderson falls short in this department.

Yeah I really don't get the fans asking for the sequel.
It's one of his books that I would love to see a sequel out, I even sent him an Email asking for one !

You really need to at least try The Way of Kings, Amazon tends to have the Kindle version for $2 quite often. I have only read Stormlight and Mistborn but Joãohas Elantris toward the bottom of his list.
At the moment I feel that Mistborn and Elantris are better than Wok. I also really think WoK could have been reduced in page count by atleast 200-300 pages, there was a lot of stuff that could have been taken out.

My first experience with Sanderson was a negative one. Elantris was a torture for me
That book for me is still the best Sanderson book I have read.

Boring characters, boring story and god awful and awkward romance.
If you found Elantris like that, then I'm not sure how much or even if you will enjoy some of his other books. For me Elantris compared to his other works had a grimmer side to it, a better atmosphere, and story.

Alucard

Staff member
That book for me is still the best Sanderson book I have read.
If you found Elantris like that, then I'm not sure how much or even if you will enjoy some of his other books. For me Elantris compared to his other works had a grimmer side to it, a better atmosphere, and story.
I don't know, I'm willing to give WoK a chance as I said. As far as Elantris is concerned I think your opinion on it as an awesome book is in minority here from the people who read it. That's the impression I got anyway.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wouldn't go as far as disagreeing with you @Alucard (I'm far too much of a gentleman) but I've always been under the impression that the general consensus is that Warbreaker is most folks least favourite Sanderson book.

Alucard

Staff member
I wouldn't go as far as disagreeing with you @Alucard (I'm far too much of a gentleman) but I've always been under the impression that the general consensus is that Warbreaker is most folks least favourite Sanderson book.
You could be completely right. I was just going of this thread an my impression. I'm not that invested in Sanderson to argue anyway :D
I don't know why disagreeing would be non-gentlemen behavior but you do you boo. You do you :D

Hand of Fear

I don't know, I'm willing to give WoK a chance as I said.
No harm in that, I did find that WoK took me awhile to get in to so you may have to read past the 300 page mark. This was just me though you may like it a lot sooner, I don't dislike Sanderson but he is not one of my go to authors either.

I find if you won't an easier read and something not to heavy then he is the one to go to.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
Sadly if ebooks continue to be cheaper and I don't get a personality switch. My bank account and my impatience will conspire against my best wishes for this mix and match to be my (now) public hell.
I guess in the US it's not hard for me to wait for a used paperback to show up on Ammy. Most of the time they're in pretty good condition. And I have such a backlog, I am usually good waiting a year or more for new volumes.

HeroineOfCanton

Downed a vial of metals
I guess in the US it's not hard for me to wait for a used paperback to show up on Ammy. Most of the time they're in pretty good condition. And I have such a backlog, I am usually good waiting a year or more for new volumes.
And because I am contractually obligated, I should mention at this point for those of you who have to worry about the price of books, there is an even cheaper alternative to ebooks and paperbacks--the public library. ;)

/Librarian mode