Sanderson the prolific writing man

kenubrion

Journeyed there and back again
Tried three times now to read Elantris, won't take. Once for Warbreaker, will give it another shot. Think WOK is a masterpiece of epic fantasy.

Danica

Queen of the boards!
Staff member
there is an even cheaper alternative to ebooks and paperbacks--the public library.
I read most of a series using my public library's ebooks. But they don't seem to get in the new releases that I want and/or the have books all jumbled and out of series. It is just easier for me to sit at home and order the, on my phone from ammy. I do love my library and have my card and everything though!!! so i'm not all bad

HeroineOfCanton

Downed a vial of metals
I read most of a series using my public library's ebooks. But they don't seem to get in the new releases that I want and/or the have books all jumbled and out of series. It is just easier for me to sit at home and order the, on my phone from ammy. I do love my library and have my card and everything though!!! so i'm not all bad
Your library almost certainly has a way for you to request a purchase. Tell them what you want! (Seriously, my library always tries to buy what people ask for.)

Danica

Queen of the boards!
Staff member
They do, but instead of waiting for amazon to bring it right to me, i have to wait for the library to purchase it, log it and then get it to my. I would have finished it by the time it even got closed to the library. For example I bought and read The Providence or Fire in less than 24 hours. I'm too impatient!

HeroineOfCanton

Downed a vial of metals
They do, but instead of waiting for amazon to bring it right to me, i have to wait for the library to purchase it, log it and then get it to my. I would have finished it by the time it even got closed to the library. For example I bought and read The Providence or Fire in less than 24 hours. I'm too impatient!
Oh, I understand. Trust me, there's no way I'm waiting a second longer than necessary for Half the World.

Hand of Fear

Sanderson has done it again to me, I finished WoK today (I had to read the book in two parts because the book was split in to two parts).

After pretty much of a lot of nothing happening throughout part 2, he threw more than a few things around and managed to leave me slacked jawed in a few places within the last hundred pages or so.

The story itself seemed really simplistic and straight forward, he however surprised me a lot by some of the revelations none of which I actually saw coming.

Over all I did enjoy the book, despite some of the earlier frustrations I had with it especially as some of the main characters seeming to be cardboard cutouts from his other books.

Rating 3.25 out of 5.

João Ribeiro

I think you missed out on this thread for another kind of thread revive. l3gacy post made me laugh out loud.
You sir just brightened my Monday. Don't they ever learn?

As for the cosmere thing, if it wasn't for this forum I never would have noticed it.
I'll grant you it's a very research and find out or be baffled by some things.

At the moment I feel that Mistborn and Elantris are better than Wok.
I'll grant you that the Final Empire goes toe to toe with Stormlight. I guess we'll never see eye to eye on Elantris.

After pretty much of a lot of nothing happening throughout part 2, he threw more than a few things around and managed to leave me slacked jawed in a few places within the last hundred pages or so.
Yup, WoR leave you salivating for #3 :D

Axcellence

A farm boy with a sword
I like Sanderson's books. But, they do have a pop corn feel to them. I read mistborn 1 and 3, and could never read book 2 after that. What was the point when I knew the awesome ending at book 3.

Alloy of law was pretty ordinary.

Loved the emperor's soul. Even legion was good.

Stormlight Archive is good, but Sanderson does have long sections when nothing happens,eg the interludes.

Rithamist is average.

Steelheart is above average. The next book, firefight, though is pretty ordinary and a very skinny plot.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
I like Sanderson's books. But, they do have a pop corn feel to them. I read mistborn 1 and 3, and could never read book 2 after that.
I'm struggling to think of a logical reason why you would do this?

Did you read book 3 by accident thinking it was book 2?

Axcellence

A farm boy with a sword
I'm struggling to think of a logical reason why you would do this?

Did you read book 3 by accident thinking it was book 2?
I just got bored of "the ash is falling" line being repeated 200 times. :mad:

I think the main issue was that when I went and got the books, part 1 and 3 were available, but not part 2. So, I thought I can finish the series without more of the ash is falling routine!

Last edited:

João Ribeiro

I think the main issue was that when I went and got the books, part 1 and 3 were available, but not part 3. So, I thought I can finish the series without more of the ash is falling routine!
Weird, and you sure missed out but welcome aboard anyway :)

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member

I think the main issue was that when I went and got the books, part 1 and 3 were available, but not part 2. So, I thought I can finish the series without more of the ash is falling routine!
Ha ha ... glad you found a way around the ash issue :)

Griffin

From his facebook page:

Words of Radiance Tweak

Moving on to Words of Radiance, as we were entering typo fixes for the paperback of this book, I made changes to a few lines near the end. This isn’t anywhere near as extensive as the changes in Elantris, but once again I figure I should be up-front about what I did and why I did it.

This part is going to have some spoilers for the book, so if you haven’t read it, please stop right here. I’ll put a number of blank lines here to prevent accidental spoilers. Scroll down if you’ve finished the book.

So, in Words of Radiance, I think the scene I worked on the longest both in my head and on the page was the final confrontation between Kaladin and Szeth.

There was something I wanted to do, and took a stab at it in the text, then backed off because I couldn’t make it work. It was important to me that Kaladin refuse to kill Szeth at the end. Kaladin is about protection, not vengeance, and once he realized that Szeth really just wanted to be killed, I wanted Kaladin to hesitate.

It didn’t end up working, and I moved on to a new version and submitted it. But this itched at me, and by the time the book was released, I felt I’d made the wrong choice for that scene. So I’ve taken this chance to roll it back to the previous idea, and written it in a new way, which I like much better.

The events are the same, except for that moment. Szeth is now killed by the storm instead of by Kaladin, which I think is more thematically appropriate.

The question this raises is about Szeth being stabbed by a Shardblade, then being resuscitated. I’m sad to lose this sequence, as it’s an important plot point for the series that dead Shardblades cannot heal the soul, while living ones can. I’m going to have to work this into a later book, though I think it’s something we can sacrifice here for the stronger scene of character for Kaladin and Szeth.

Personally I don't really like this, I think this is quite a big difference. But I can get the idea it is the author's work and not the readers. Still, not liking it one bit.

kenubrion

From his facebook page:

Words of Radiance Tweak

Moving on to Words of Radiance, as we were entering typo fixes for the paperback of this book, I made changes to a few lines near the end. This isn’t anywhere near as extensive as the changes in Elantris, but once again I figure I should be up-front about what I did and why I did it.

This part is going to have some spoilers for the book, so if you haven’t read it, please stop right here. I’ll put a number of blank lines here to prevent accidental spoilers. Scroll down if you’ve finished the book.

So, in Words of Radiance, I think the scene I worked on the longest both in my head and on the page was the final confrontation between Kaladin and Szeth.

There was something I wanted to do, and took a stab at it in the text, then backed off because I couldn’t make it work. It was important to me that Kaladin refuse to kill Szeth at the end. Kaladin is about protection, not vengeance, and once he realized that Szeth really just wanted to be killed, I wanted Kaladin to hesitate.

It didn’t end up working, and I moved on to a new version and submitted it. But this itched at me, and by the time the book was released, I felt I’d made the wrong choice for that scene. So I’ve taken this chance to roll it back to the previous idea, and written it in a new way, which I like much better.

The events are the same, except for that moment. Szeth is now killed by the storm instead of by Kaladin, which I think is more thematically appropriate.

The question this raises is about Szeth being stabbed by a Shardblade, then being resuscitated. I’m sad to lose this sequence, as it’s an important plot point for the series that dead Shardblades cannot heal the soul, while living ones can. I’m going to have to work this into a later book, though I think it’s something we can sacrifice here for the stronger scene of character for Kaladin and Szeth.

Personally I don't really like this, I think this is quite a big difference. But I can get the idea it is the author's work and not the readers. Still, not liking it one bit.
Griffin, for those of us who haven't read it yet but bought it as a pre-order (I'm saving it for when I run out of new authors) and don't want to know the spoiler, just advise us please. Is it enough to need to buy it again for the new ending?

Sir Arthur

Is it enough to need to buy it again for the new ending?
I don't think so, but you'll need to be aware of the change for future books. It changes some things.

I'm not sure how I feel about it. Seems odd, but I'm not a big fan of Sanderson anyway. Reading his motives for the change made me roll my eyes. It highlights one of the faults I find with his writing.

BenTheBat

Got in a fistfight with Dresden
So is he going to change it for future hard coer version as well? I would google it myself but I have a fear of spoilers you see.