Sanderson versus Martians versus Dresden

João Ribeiro

Journeyed there and back again
You are not the only one, I thought Warbreaker was better as well. That being said,I find both of those books of less high quality than his other work.
Well, I think they're in the middle of the pack, definitely below Mistborn and Stormlight mas still better than Steelheart. I haven't tried the Alcatraz series so I can't really say anything about those.

I'm the opposite, I would love for BS to at a little grittiness in his writing, or at least let his writing evolve a bit more. I've got the feeling his kind of stuck in the same, safe writing style and doesn't want to stray from it.
I actually find it refreshing that it's not the grey gritty type of books. I see what you mean and I agree that he is sitting in his comfort zone, but on the other hand, I think he is producing such high quality books while inside that comfort zone that there is no reason to leave. If it starts getting stale then by all means change. In the grand scheme of the 30 something cosmere books though he still needs to maintain some sort of consistency.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
If it starts getting stale then by all means change.
See, I feel like he's been stale for awhile. I haven't read a lot of his more recent stuff, though -- it's kind of slipped down my priority list because there were so many similar elements/characters/themes in Mistborn, Elantris, Warbreaker, and even some characters from Way of Kings. I felt like he was writing the same book over and over again, just switching out the details.

On the other hand, I liked his contribution to Wheel of Time. While I still haven't read the final volume, he tied up some loose ends in other books. But maybe I liked it because he was aping someone else's style instead of doing the same old stuff he normally does.

João Ribeiro

See, I feel like he's been stale for awhile. I haven't read a lot of his more recent stuff, though -- it's kind of slipped down my priority list because there were so many similar elements/characters/themes in Mistborn, Elantris, Warbreaker, and even some characters from Way of Kings. I felt like he was writing the same book over and over again, just switching out the details.
You are, essentially right. He does follow the same formula a lot, the perky female character is always there, the heavy religious aspect as well. I personally don't mind and I am hoping that by the end of the Cosmere mega series (when I'm in my 70's) he can tie it all up with an argument along the lines of, there are patterns in the universe that repeat no matter the world. It's still a cop out argument but it can be made. He does however come up with such unique and original magic systems that actually do keep it fresh. But this is a fanboy's opinion.

On the other hand, I liked his contribution to Wheel of Time. While I still haven't read the final volume, he tied up some loose ends in other books. But maybe I liked it because he was aping someone else's style instead of doing the same old stuff he normally does.
Never got past the halfway point of Eye of the Storm so I never got to read his stuff. But from that first book I can imagine what you mean.

Hand of Fear

See, I feel like he's been stale for awhile.
I think he is overrated, I'm reading part 2 of The Way of Kings and all I can think of it is that it's ok. I wish he would take more of a risk with his books, and maybe go a little darker in tone, as you have said there are way to many similarities between his books. The spren just remind me of the Seons (I think that's the name of them in Elantris) as they can talk and float around, and also seem to have self awareness, especially Sly.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
there are patterns in the universe that repeat no matter the world.
Oh, goodness. Even WoT has that. If that's true, Sanderson can't get away from the theme when he's writing someone else's books.

João Ribeiro

Oh, goodness. Even WoT has that. If that's true, Sanderson can't get away from the theme when he's writing someone else's books.
I'm just speculating here, maybe even he doesn't know how it will end, but it does make sense. It's either that or admitting that his speed in publishing books is just due to the fact the he is repetitive. One thing that's pointing this way is that he will re-write and publish Hoid's story has the last (or close to) novels in the Cosmere universe. So it could be, this is how it started and how it ends... and it will happen again.