Sanderson vs GRRM

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
It seems like Sanderson can write ten books in the time it takes GRRM to write one.
Is there really any need to compare these two every time? Yes we all get it, Martin is slow as a snail, but nobody cracks books out like Sanderson. Not Rothfuss, not Lynch, not Erikson, none of the top dogs.
Personally I would rather read 1 book by Martin then 10 books by Sanderson. As far as I'm concerned Sanderson doesnt come close to Martin in terms of quality of writing. But hey that's just me. Time will tell which of them will leave a legacy.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Is there really any need to compare these two every time?
I don't see a problem with comparing them. They're opposite ends of the spectrum with regards to output, so it's only natural to use them as measuring sticks.
Personally I would rather read 1 book by Martin then 10 books by Sanderson
It's a shame that Martin won't write any books in the time it takes Sanderson to write 10 ...

There's always his back catalogue I guess.

Alucard

Staff member
I don't see a problem with comparing them.
It's not that it is a problem. But, it's been done so many times it became a cliche. Meaningless comment. Because you know every time Sanderson comes out, people always come up with these kinda lines...it doesn't don't bring anything meaningful to the discussion imo. It's been said 1000 times already.

It's a shame that Martin won't write any books in the time it takes Sanderson to write 10 ...
You don't know that. I don't know that. Nobody knows that.
And honestly I don't get this obsession with quantity and new books. There is so much backlog in fantasy that I don't really have the same perspective I guess. So much good stuff that's been published that I barely squeeze new books here and there.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
Personally I would rather read 1 book by Martin then 10 books by Sanderson.
Speaking of which... How far along in Feast are you at the moment? Or is it on hold for the LOTR read?

Alucard

Staff member
Speaking of which... How far along in Feast are you at the moment? Or is it on hold for the LOTR read?
I'm almost half way through it. It's not on hold, I've got it on audio. Roy Dotrice is amazing.

Jon Snow

No Power in the Verse can stop me
Staff member
Yeah, it is hard to compare anyone to Sanderson in terms of speed of writing.

@Alucard I find it intriguing that you berate others for comparing the speed of writing then talk about rather reading 1 GRRM book to 10 Sanderson Books.

Coming from someone who loves both authors and have read many of their works, I can safely say that 1 v 10 is a bit extreme. Stormlight Archives is amazing. Mistborn's universe is so intriguing and the magic system so much more diverse and thought out than any other books that I know out there. Yeah sure his romance sucks and other authors do a better job in other aspects (Erikson for worldbuilding for example) but 1 v 10? Really?

Alucard

Staff member
but 1 v 10? Really?
Yeah really. I don't know what you find weird about it. If any of you said you'd rather read 10 books by Sanderson than 1 by Martin, I wouldn't find it weird. My reaction would be...hmmm..ok, he/she is a Sanderson fan. And I'd move along.

I never criticized anyone's taste. I'm just tired of seeing the two of them compared in terms of speed of writing, precisely because it's done ALL the time. It means nothing and it's tiresome.

Also I don't know how many books you read in a year Jon, but I manage around 30-40. If I go over that number, it's novellas and novelettes. Personally I have no reason to harp on why some folks write 1 book in 10 years and praise others for churning out 10 books in 10 years. Even if Martin was churning out books in Sanderson speed I wouldn't be able to read them all. Second, I don't have an author where I read all of his current and past series. Even if I was head over heals for Sanderson, I probably wouldn't read everything he writes. His superhero YA stuff doesn't interest me at all. Same goes for Martin. I'll probably never read his Tuf Voyaging or his other space stuff. And I have close to 650 titles on my PTR list. Such a huge reading list makes me not worry at all about reading new books and pouting why some folks don't write fast enough for my taste.

Jon Snow

Staff member
Oh sure, I get that you won't want to read everything they do, as you say some just don't appeal.

However, if you are willing to read 1 martin book over 10 sanderson books, you clearly don't rate sanderson at all and perhaps why you take umbrage at those who compare their speeds?

Alucard

Staff member
However, if you are willing to read 1 martin book over 10 sanderson books, you clearly don't rate sanderson at all and perhaps why you take umbrage at those who compare their speeds?
I had to google what umbrage means :D You learn something new every day.
And no I don't take umbrage because I rate Martin more than Sanderson. Or because somebody else rates Sanderson better than Martin. These are reading tastes and I'm not gonna discuss them.
I thought I was pretty clear why this annoyed me. I'm not gonna repeat it again. It would mean nothing.

Sparrow

Journeyed there and back again
Yeah, it is hard to compare anyone to Sanderson in terms of speed of writing.

@Alucard I find it intriguing that you berate others for comparing the speed of writing then talk about rather reading 1 GRRM book to 10 Sanderson Books.

Coming from someone who loves both authors and have read many of their works, I can safely say that 1 v 10 is a bit extreme. Stormlight Archives is amazing. Mistborn's universe is so intriguing and the magic system so much more diverse and thought out than any other books that I know out there. Yeah sure his romance sucks and other authors do a better job in other aspects (Erikson for worldbuilding for example) but 1 v 10? Really?
The Mistborn universe is so intriguing?.. how so?.. it might have been if I could only get past Sanderson's lack of depth and nuance.
I've only read book one and two of the series, but intrigued I was not and no further will I go with the story. Characters rendered in two-dimension for a YA audience, and that I could overlook, it's the faux suspense and long drawn out parts of the story waiting for what Sanderson has already telegraphed is going to happen. In fact if I had to sum up Sanderson's prose, I could only come up with 'amateurish'. The Mistborn universe isn't imaginative, it's derivative; an incoherent mashup of many well trodden fantasy tropes. And what if anything is Sanderson attempting to do thematically with Mistborn?.. an epic struggle between good and evil. Criminy, I can get that reading Harry Potter!

And I'm not comparing Sanderson to Martin... Martin has become the Truman Capote of Fantasy Lit; fat, lazy, and decadent.
It would be just too ridiculous if Martin died before completing A Song of Ice and Fire... and Sanderson was hired to write the last two books.

SuperDuper

Knows how to pronounce Kvothe
Agreed, there are decades of history to be caught up on and I don't expect to be finished with my crash course even in the next two decades. Then when the crash course is complete, when I've read the stuff some of our older members will remember from the 80s, then maybe I can start going really in-depth...
Isn't older fantasy considered not as good? I mean LOTR is a classic but then there was a copycat period for a long time I thought, and then a few good books sprinkled in until now we are in a fantasy golden age starting with Wheel of Time and ASOIAF and Malazan and all the rest now.

fbones24

Journeyed there and back again
Since we're on this, I love both Martin and Sanderson but they are quite different. In my opinion, Sanderson's writing cannot compare to Martin's. I think Sanderson's writing is fast paced, fun and easy to digest. There is no challenge and his stories sort of come to life in your mind without having to even consider what you're reading. Martin's writing seems to be deeper and more of a challenge.

Sanderson has the gift of being able to captivate me, the reader, almost immediately and that is why his short stories are so good. Sanderson is that sexy one night stand for me and Martin is Wifey material. Since Martin is typically unavailable, I adulterate and turn to Sanderson.

Alucard

Staff member
I mean LOTR is a classic but then there was a copycat period for a long time I thought, and then a few good books sprinkled in
LotR isn't the only formative classic. It was most copied for sure, but far from being the only influential work. You have a huge amount of writers who wrote such different books to LotR. And in our time you have writers who go more along the same way.
Take for example Howard and Burroughs. Where Tolkien should be given credit for basically starting up the epic fantasy subgenre as we know it today, these two basically started up heroic fantasy. And today Abercrombie draws more on heroic tradition than epic one. His second book in First Law trilogy is basically deconstruction of the epic fantasy trope of quest as we know it from LotR, including the quest itself as well as deconstruction of the First Law 'fellowship'. And imo he does that so wonderfully.
I highly recommend you take a look at Sanderson's lectures on Fantasy Tradition on Youtube. He does a great job of breaking it apart and making it approachable. It's a good video for anyone interested in starting to read fantasy as well as for people who are reading already but haven't really thought about fantasy traditions so much.

Part I
Part II

Jon Snow

Staff member
How can he say Dragonflight is so good? That was one of the most awful books I have ever read.

Love that he correct guy-am to gaiman, and then writes Neil as niel heh.

Surprised he never mentioned Nix or Stroud in the children's sections.

However, I am assuming that besides writing at a stupid speed he consumes a lot of books as well. Someone who has this much knowledge about both fantasy and science fiction...

Alucard

Staff member
How can he say Dragonflight is so good? That was one of the most awful books I have ever read.
Because reading tastes differ? He said it was quite literary for a fantasy work, so maybe you aren't keen on literary works so much? I haven't read it.

Someone who has this much knowledge about both fantasy and science fiction...
To be fair, he did say he isnt so sure about sci-fi as he is about fantasy.
I would personally love if I found somebody who'd do an overview sci-fi tradition in this manner. The closest I found was a YT channel books and pieces. She did a good job, but it's totally different approach. It's not a lecture.

Jon Snow

Staff member
Because reading tastes differ? He said it was quite literary for a fantasy work, so maybe you aren't keen on literary works so much? I haven't read it.
Oh yeah for sure, Twilight, 50 Shades etc sold a lot even though many people said they were terrible.

I didn't the literary part, what bugged me was...

flying, talking, telepathic, time travelling dragons. (they are not separate classes, a dragon can do all of that)

Yeah he isn't so sure about sci-fi but he could still talk a lot about it and say authors and book names etc. I mean I like sci-fi but I can't name you that many authors or books, let alone have read some of the classics. If I got paid to read, maybe I'd get more into sci-fi!!!

I'm going to find a way to port these conversations into a new thread. We've seriously derailed this one haha

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Oh, but look he has ! :D

Expected publication: October 27th 2015 by Bantam
This makes up for EVERYTHING !!! The prospect of colouring in owls in various shades of brown obviously dispels any notions of frustration/anger/etc during the on-going wait for Winds of Winter ...