Sanderson. Where to start then?

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
I'm still waiting for a suprise Winds of Winter release. :p
Don't we all, mate. Don't we all...

We all like to harp in GRRM and his tardiness, but I think most of us will pounce on that book when it comes out.

Maark Abbott

Journeyed there and back again
I would start with Mistborn, and then from there branch out to Elantris and Warbreaker. I've yet to read any Stormlight (this will soon be rectified) so can't comment there.

On my part I loved Mistborn. Yeah, it was occasionally uneven, and the romance subplots were super cringeworthy, but the setting was excellent and I enjoyed it even on a reread.

That said, I still owe Sanderson an apology for that one death in WOT14 which had me bodily throw the book across the room (in full view of the missus and the cats) and then take to Twitter, full of nerdy angst.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
Speaking of Sanderson...

I'm halfway through The Way of Kings and MAN am I pleasantly surprised. I thought Mistborn was just okay-ish, but this is in a whole other category. All the cringeworthy stuff that had me tearing my hair out whilst reading Mistborn (childish relationship between Elend and Vin for example and depressed Sazed from book 2 on) is nowhere to be seen in this book. If the rest of this book is as good as the first 650 pages, I think I'm going to give it a very favorable rating.

Amaryllis

Speaking of Sanderson...

I'm halfway through The Way of Kings and MAN am I pleasantly surprised. I thought Mistborn was just okay-ish, but this is in a whole other category. All the cringeworthy stuff that had me tearing my hair out whilst reading Mistborn (childish relationship between Elend and Vin for example and depressed Sazed from book 2 on) is nowhere to be seen in this book. If the rest of this book is as good as the first 650 pages, I think I'm going to give it a very favorable rating.
Sanderson definitely does seem to have 'grown up' (if I can use that term) a bit with Stormlight, but he does preserve a number of the same annoying tendencies (such as overstating a character's mood until it seems to define them). Although I thought the first half of WoK was actually kind of spotty, and the second half + WoR were a lot better, so maybe we're just seeing it entirely differently.

I honestly don't know if I'd even recommend reading Mistborn anymore. I definitely wouldn't ever recommend it as the introduction. More like a 'well, if you like this author, see what he did during his crack smoking twenties!' It has a great concept and everything, and would make a great television series or something (not to mention videogame), but everything he does bad seems to be amplified in it.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
Although I thought the first half of WoK was actually kind of spotty, and the second half + WoR were a lot better, so maybe we're just seeing it entirely differently.
That's reassuring actually. I already liked this part a lot, so I imagine I will like the second part even better. You're not alone in saying that as the series progresses it gets better, so I have high hopes.

I get what you're saying about Mistborn. The theme/setting was really cool, but the story itself mediocre at best. The introspective self-loathing monologues of Sazed and Vin were the worst in my opinion.

Ryan W. Mueller

Speaking of Sanderson...

And you're just about to get to the really good part.

Now I'm feeling the itch to reread that book. One of these days, I think I might do a huge Sanderson reread. With all the Cosmere stuff, I'm sure there's a bunch of stuff I missed the first time through.

Sirl19

Mixes poisons and sharpens knives with Kylar
Okey, you've convinced me. I actually started with the last three WoT books and wanted to try Sanderson on his own. I got the Mistborn series as an audiobook (first audiobook ever, surprising experience). And I've been trying to find something interesting to read. I've had some more Sanderson in my Kindle for a while but i didn't want to start yet, but reading this, I'm starting Elantris this second. I'll let you know how I like it.

Enviado desde mi XT1039 mediante Tapatalk

YordanZh

A Poet of the Khaiem
Okey, you've convinced me. I actually started with the last three WoT books and wanted to try Sanderson on his own.
Uh, just to clarify - when I said that I "Started with the last three WoT books", I meant that those were my first Sanderson books, not that I skipped the previous 11 WoT books. They are a series so I don't know you'd enjoy them if you start from book 12. ;)

Sirl19

Mixes poisons and sharpens knives with Kylar
Uh, just to clarify - when I said that I "Started with the last three WoT books", I meant that those were my first Sanderson books, not that I skipped the previous 11 WoT books. They are a series so I don't know you'd enjoy them if you start from book 12. ;)
I understood. I did read the whole series and wanted to see if I liked the end so much because of the author or because it was well planned and Sanderson was able to follow that plan.

I've actually liked what I've read from him so far