'Scary' books

Scorpio1990

Has been in the eye of the world
I thought i'd do a thread on a less popular category on this forum

Can anybody list any books that have actually scared them or played with their minds similar to some movies come. I have read a number of horror stories and the only ones which have given me a proper shudder was Hell House by Richard Matheson and Ghost Story by Peter Straub. I have read a number of Stephen Kings classics but I just find them good reads rather than scary. I don't whether because it is on paper or what.

Thoughts?

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
I really enjoyed Hell House, but it didn't scare me or disturb me or anything. I remember reading the amytiville horror when I was in my early teens, and that scared the crap out of me. Doubt it would now. I'd love to read something that really scared me now, i think I'm probably too desensitised to the genre now though.

Scorpio1990

Has been in the eye of the world
I really enjoyed Hell House, but it didn't scare me or disturb me or anything. I remember reading the amytiville horror when I was in my early teens, and that scared the crap out of me. Doubt it would now. I'd love to read something that really scared me now, i think I'm probably too desensitised to the genre now though.
Yeah Hell House gave me a couple shivers. I just find it hard to be scared by something in a book, the only fear I get is when a character I really love is in danger but thats more of a suspense fear. Amytiville Horror is on a to do list, I would just love for someone to come along and say 'this book is very scary, try it'

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well I read it in the full belief it was based on a true story, and so absolutely bobbed myself, and didn't sleep with the lights off for weeks.

I guess the whole scam surrounding the goings on in the house would take the shine off it now. I'm a sucker for a 'based on a true story' story though!

Buffy V Slayer

Knows Who John Uskglass Is
I remember reading the amytiville horror when I was in my early teens, and that scared the crap out of me.
My older brother convinced me to watch this movie with him as a young teenager and I remember having nightmares for like two weeks. I would always use this as my go-to whenever anyone asked me what the scariest movie I had ever seen was. Then I saw it on tv as an adult more recently. It is so old now and the effects are so outdated that I laughed for some of it. I still remember how frightened I was as a teen, though. lol

Amaryllis

Journeyed there and back again
I remember being scared by a scene in Pet Sematary by Stephen King. I don't remember which one.

I also remember being scared by The Colour Out of Space by H.P. Lovecraft (those trees).

Keep in mind, both of these were when I was 12 years old or less. I haven't been scared by a book in forever, and I'm honestly not even sure it's possible anymore.

moonspawn

Journeyed there and back again
I'm trying to think..... and I don't think I've ever been scared by a book. The scariest book I read was probably Summer of Night by Dan Simmons; there were some scenes that really gave me the shudders but it didn't give me nightmares or keep me sleepless at night.

blitzburns4

Owns a Ring of Power
I haven't really any legitimate horror novels myself, honestly. But from what I heard and read Chuck Palahniuk and Bret Easton Ellis are two authors who write stories that come across as legitimately scary to those that read their works.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member