'Scary' books

Scorpio1990

Has been in the eye of the world
I thought i'd do a thread on a less popular category on this forum

Can anybody list any books that have actually scared them or played with their minds similar to some movies come. I have read a number of horror stories and the only ones which have given me a proper shudder was Hell House by Richard Matheson and Ghost Story by Peter Straub. I have read a number of Stephen Kings classics but I just find them good reads rather than scary. I don't whether because it is on paper or what.

Thoughts?

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
I really enjoyed Hell House, but it didn't scare me or disturb me or anything. I remember reading the amytiville horror when I was in my early teens, and that scared the crap out of me. Doubt it would now. I'd love to read something that really scared me now, i think I'm probably too desensitised to the genre now though.

Scorpio1990

Has been in the eye of the world
I really enjoyed Hell House, but it didn't scare me or disturb me or anything. I remember reading the amytiville horror when I was in my early teens, and that scared the crap out of me. Doubt it would now. I'd love to read something that really scared me now, i think I'm probably too desensitised to the genre now though.
Yeah Hell House gave me a couple shivers. I just find it hard to be scared by something in a book, the only fear I get is when a character I really love is in danger but thats more of a suspense fear. Amytiville Horror is on a to do list, I would just love for someone to come along and say 'this book is very scary, try it'

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well I read it in the full belief it was based on a true story, and so absolutely bobbed myself, and didn't sleep with the lights off for weeks.

I guess the whole scam surrounding the goings on in the house would take the shine off it now. I'm a sucker for a 'based on a true story' story though!

Buffy V Slayer

Knows Who John Uskglass Is
I remember reading the amytiville horror when I was in my early teens, and that scared the crap out of me.
My older brother convinced me to watch this movie with him as a young teenager and I remember having nightmares for like two weeks. I would always use this as my go-to whenever anyone asked me what the scariest movie I had ever seen was. Then I saw it on tv as an adult more recently. It is so old now and the effects are so outdated that I laughed for some of it. I still remember how frightened I was as a teen, though. lol

Amaryllis

Journeyed there and back again
I remember being scared by a scene in Pet Sematary by Stephen King. I don't remember which one.

I also remember being scared by The Colour Out of Space by H.P. Lovecraft (those trees).

Keep in mind, both of these were when I was 12 years old or less. I haven't been scared by a book in forever, and I'm honestly not even sure it's possible anymore.

moonspawn

Journeyed there and back again
I'm trying to think..... and I don't think I've ever been scared by a book. The scariest book I read was probably Summer of Night by Dan Simmons; there were some scenes that really gave me the shudders but it didn't give me nightmares or keep me sleepless at night.

blitzburns4

Owns a Ring of Power
I haven't really any legitimate horror novels myself, honestly. But from what I heard and read Chuck Palahniuk and Bret Easton Ellis are two authors who write stories that come across as legitimately scary to those that read their works.