Sept book club?

Danica

Queen of the boards!
Staff member
I want to read a few books i've been dying to get my hands on

1. Blood Song

2. Emperor of Thorns

both of which have been out for ages so i am open to suggestions! Please try to keep them short, we all have other things to do besides read all day (even if we wish it were otherwise)

Book clubs, all thought they normally start on the first of the month, most people (me) start reading on the 1st of that month. It means that you have the whole month to read and discuss as you get to certain places in the book.

The book club is normally split into chapter/pages, so you post in the chapter/pages that apply to what you have read.

The book club always remains open. So post whenever you read the book. Black Prism and The Blinding Knife are great examples of how this works. We all understand that everyone has differing reading and life commitments so some people read much faster/slower. Please don't let this persuade you not to engage. For example if you read the book 2 months after we finish, please, post comments in there, it will show for everyone else and we can revisit the book. It'll help keep my failing memory refreshed, so maybe do it for that reason alone :p

^^ this is from my post in Welcome to the Book Club. I reposted it here for our newer members who are thinking about getting involved (which thrills me to no end! so thanks!!!).

Any questions feel free to ask!

Laurentius

Super Moderator
Staff member
i am open to suggestions
The ambiguous quote aside, I'd like to nominate Left Hand of God book 3 (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/15997975-the-beating-of-his-wings) by Paul Hoffman. I recall we've talked about the other two books in the last few years, so most have probably read those. I'm actually excited for this book, though I don't remember liking book two a whole lot. Not as much as Left Hand of God atleast.

Bring on more Thomas Cale.

If you chose either Blood Song or Emperor of Thorns I'll participate awell, but already read those. Blood Song is awesome and I would recommend it to anyone. Emperor of Thorns is decent and a big step up compared to King of Thorns.

moonspawn

Journeyed there and back again
I've kinda decided the last two books for the club so I'm thinking I should stay out of this discussion, but..... I still have some suggestions.

First off, I second Blood Song. I've been wanting to get my hands on that for a few months.

Both books were published last year and both were recommended to me by Goodreads. I think both are debuts as well and each the first book of a series.

The Red Knight by Miles Cameron

Scourge of the Betrayer by Jeff Salyards

Arya Stark

Philosophizes with Kellhus
I think both are debuts as well and each the first book of a series.

Thought it went Prince King Emperor? If blood song is a stand alone or the first in a series I'm on board.

Antoxx

I've kinda decided the last two books for the club so I'm thinking I should stay out of this discussion, but..... I still have some suggestions.

First off, I second Blood Song. I've been wanting to get my hands on that for a few months.

Both books were published last year and both were recommended to me by Goodreads. I think both are debuts as well and each the first book of a series.

The Red Knight by Miles Cameron

Scourge of the Betrayer by Jeff Salyards
I'll vouch for Blood Song. A really good read. On reflection I'm wondering whether I should've given it 4.5 out of 5 (I initially rated it a strong 4). I definitely liked it more than The Hundred Thousaand Kingdoms. I initially rated that a low 4 but also on reflection more inclined to give it a 3.5 (I wavered a bit on this one).

Danica

Queen of the boards!
Staff member
not that i don't like series but my tbr pile is rather large. want about stand alones? anthologies? YA? lets think outside the box peeps!

Haven

Became a Faceless Man
The Red Knight.

One of THE best medieval fantasy books I've read...its a long read, but its amazing, the author really know's what he's about.

Not that Blood Song isn't good, tho.

Im confused now x_X.

Hand of Fear

The Red Knight.

One of THE best medieval fantasy books I've read...its a long read, but its amazing, the author really know's what he's about.

Not that Blood Song isn't good, tho.

Im confused now x_X.
Who wrote the Red Knight as there are two books on Amazon with the same title but different authors ?

Buffy V Slayer

Knows Who John Uskglass Is
I can't make any promises, but I think I'll try to join in on this month's book club. It is September and the beginning of the fall semester, so I'm not sure how much time I'll have to read, but I really want to try out the book club so I'll just read when I can! The Red Knight sounds good!