September 2015 - What fantasy books are you reading?

ReguIa

Journeyed there and back again
I'm done waiting for books (Thanks, Patrick!).
I know what you mean. I began The Dresden Files thinking #15 was coming out soon and that had to be near the end of the series. Only when I had almost caught up did I find out that he's planning 20 books or something with a trilogy after that to end it..

Sanderson churns out books like crazy but considering he's juggling like 6 different series at the same time it's still going to take a hell of a long time before anything gets finished. I'm happy at least the 1st Mistborn trilogy is complete.

I've put a lot of stuff on hold because it isn't finished yet, like Kingkiller, Lynch's Gentleman Bastards, Brent Weeks Lightbringer.

Even though I don't really want to get stuck reading one series I'm probably going to start with Robin Hobbs Assassin's Apprentice soon and then continue on with her other series. That will most likely take a while and hopefully at least Kingkiller and Lightbringer will be finished by the time I finish her stuff.

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
Finished Hunted. I was disappointed by the storyline. The whole book is basically a run from the bad guys, so things that happen are very repetitive. There were a couple of nice moments but overall very weak. I hope the next book Shattered is better. I really enjoy IDC so this was my version of a bad apple in a basket of good ones.

Going to finish The Eyes of the Overworld and see how Cugel the Clever fares.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
Finished Hunted. I was disappointed by the storyline. The whole book is basically a run from the bad guys, so things that happen are very repetitive. There were a couple of nice moments but overall very weak. I hope the next book Shattered is better. I really enjoy IDC so this was my version of a bad apple in a basket of good ones.

Going to finish The Eyes of the Overworld and see how Cugel the Clever fares.
Shattered is very different from Hunted. I just read those two last week or the week before. (Sorry about the formatting weirdness. I don't know how I ended up in subscript in the first place so I don't know how to get out of it.)

Edit: OK, no formatting weirdness is showing up when it posts. But it sure looked weird in the box on my screen.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
@Sneaky Burrito
Good to hear. What did you think about Hunted? Maybe you enjoyed it more?
Ever got to new Belcher's book Nightwise? I'm curios what you thought about that too.
There should be a review on the BFB blog on Nightwise.

I liked Hunted OK (it wasn't my favorite by any means), but I actually do like Kevin Hearne's little worldbuilding details and there didn't seem to be so many of them in Hunted because they were constantly on the run. Also certain events had a bit less of an impact because you know there are further volumes in the series. The thing that threw me about Shattered was the POV changes. It was sometimes hard to tell which character was the POV character for the scene. If you are doing audiobooks (I think I remember that), you will probably not have that issue, though.

fbones24

Finished Uprooted and enjoyed it. Would not put it in "the best book I've ever read category" like some reviews, but it was a solid read.

I'm currently reading "The Windup Girl" and loving it. Interesting and unique atmosphere here with a story that is fed to you in bits and pieces. No force feeding and I like that in an author.

Khartun

Just finished The Black Company: Books of the South. I really love this series. I know some didn't like the one where Lady is the annalist but I did. All three books were good.

Normally, I would go right to the next book in the series but I bought The Black Lung Captain the other day and I really want to read it next.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
I just need to share something with you guys. Today I've read two scenes of Last Argument of Kings (JA) that I believe to be among the very best action scenes I've ever read in the fantasy genre.

the scene where the Bloody-freaking-Nine destroys the Feared and casts down Bethod from the walls of Carleon. "The King of the North Men!" Holy shit! This is one of the most intense scenes I've ever had the pleasure of reading.

The Gurkish breach the walls of Adua and none other than Jezal the Pussy, first of his name, charges into the fray. At first I hated Jezal, but slowly he grew on me and with this redeeming charge I absolutely love him. What does Alduin say in Skyrim? "Who is better: the man who was born good or the man who has become good through toil?"

Thoughts guys?

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
Mine were pretty much the same. I also enjoyed the epicness of the scene
involving magic. I never read such a great scene with that magic wing/hurricane. I was blown away by it :cat:

kenubrion

Recently finished The Unremembered by Peter O'Rullian, the 1st book in his new Vault of Heaven series.

I enjoyed this book a lot, because it felt easy to relate to the characters, and found myself constantly rooting for and disappointed if anything happened to them. There were similarities to other medieval fantasies, where coming of age heroes/heroines were struggling against mysterious evil end-world seeking forces. However, I thought that there were still plenty of new fantasy ideas in the story to make it feel original, and am looking forward to the sequel.

I have now just started The City & The City by China Mieville, and am enjoying it so far. The story is about a detective trying to solve a murder in a seedy part of town, with the twist that another town somehow or other occupies the same space. The writing seems to be a bit easier to read than the one other Mieville book, Perdido Street Station, which I have read and I am interested to see how the story will develop.

In addition, I am continuing to read about Cugel's entertaining travels in Jack Vance's The Eyes of the Overworld.
Hi Fantam. I've been meaning to ask, what's going on in the image of the Jack Vance title page. Is that guy getting ready to backhand the kneeling girl with a stick? Is he Cudgel? I've only ready about 50 pages of the first book in that series.

Sotiris

Knows the real name of Lower Corte
I just finished my reading of Skin Game (and the Dresdenverse marathon I started back in July) and it was awesome! I loved the new status quo set in the Dresdenverse after Changes and I am really REALLY anticipating the next book in the series! Yesterday, I started Warbreaker. It was time I got my self some Sanderson again :D So far I am really enjoying it and I think the Breath magic is weirdly beautiful!

kenubrion

Yeah, my thought is you're in for such a treat when someone gets around to reading these. And you ain't seen nothing yet. Wait till you get to Red Country.

kenubrion

I just finished my reading of Skin Game (and the Dresdenverse marathon I started back in July) and it was awesome! I loved the new status quo set in the Dresdenverse after Changes and I am really REALLY anticipating the next book in the series! Yesterday, I started Warbreaker. It was time I got my self some Sanderson again :D So far I am really enjoying it and I think the Breath magic is weirdly beautiful!
Good to see you posting again !

Darwin

I was surprised by how much I liked Warbreaker. Something so good rarely costs so little =D

@Silvion Night those are great scenes! We often mention Abercrombie's special talents with characterization, but the action is incredible as well. I love all of Logen's fights in particular. They're extremely chaotic, and he sort of just goes with the chaos rather than trying to establish any sort of order, if that makes any sense. The perfect barbarian berserker!

Derk of Derkholm

Derk of Derkholm

BTW, still on "Blood, Steel and Fire"