September 2015 - What fantasy books are you reading?

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member

Derk of Derkholm

Journeyed there and back again

Alucard

Staff member
That's exactly how I imagine Dresden's brother looks! Weird.
I love all things Buffy and finding out Spike is narrating books is amazing. I think I'll spend my audible credits on it after I finish the Iron Druid.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
I love all things Buffy and finding out Spike is narrating books is amazing. I think I'll spend my audible credits on it after I finish the Iron Druid.
Alucard, can you give us an update on your thoughts about a Feast for Crows and the Eyes of the Overworld? I've noticed that they've been on your currently reading list for a while. Have you progressed in them at all?

Alucard

Staff member
Alucard, can you give us an update on your thoughts about a Feast for Crows and the Eyes of the Overworld? I've noticed that they've been on your currently reading list for a while. Have you progressed in them at all?
20% for AFFC and 30 pages in EotO. But I didnt have time to read for last month. Anything I've read lately were audiobooks, (Hunted and 14) because that way I can actually DO things. And I have so much to do, I'm moving to a different country again very soon on top of my daily obligations. Martin and Vance are in paper/ebook so I dont have so much time for them.
Besides, it's still a pleasure to read Martin, just because of his writing style, but this book lacks the urgency to read it as previous 3 had.
Vance is archaic so his style is kinda interrupting my reading flow. And I lack sympathies for Cugel the Clever, who can go rot in a hole somewhere and I'd be fine with it.

Edit: Oh yeah I read Queen of Fire as well in August. That's enough for me. Too much even.

Last edited:

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
20% for AFFC and 30 pages in EotO. But I didnt have time to read for last month. Anything I've read lately were audiobooks, (Hunted and 14) because that way I can actually DO things. And I have so much to do, I'm moving to a different country again very soon on top of my daily obligations. Martin and Vance are in paper/ebook so I dont have so much time for them.
Besides, it's still a pleasure to read Martin, just because of his writing style, but this book lacks the urgency to read it as previous 3 had.
Vance is archaic so his style is kinda interrupting my reading flow. And I lack sympathies for Cugel the Clever, who can go rot in a hole somewhere and I'd be fine with it.

Edit: Oh yeah I read Queen of Fire as well in August. That's enough for me. Too much even.
Haha, okay thanks. Where are you moving to if I may ask?

Alucard

Staff member
Haha, okay thanks. Where are you moving to if I may ask?
I rather not say until it's all done and I'm there. I don't wanna jinx anything by saying something too soon. Silly I know, but when I get there and settle in, I'll check in.

Sparrow

Anybody listening to Dresden instead of reading it? I've found out it's this guy who's narrating and people say he's amazeballs at it. :D

I've listened to Skin Game and Side Jobs, and one other book that I can't recall right now... if that's James Marsters, then yes the narration is top notch.
Because of the work I do and the eyestrain that goes with it I pretty much only listen to books these days, so I have really high standards for narrators... Marsters is perfect for the Dresden world... though Jesus fucking Christ does he ever look... like he's had plastic surgery. He looks like a mannequin!

Alucard

Staff member
Well good luck with the move!

(1000 credits says it's Australia :))
Thank you Tom.

Hmm...maybe I should start a betting pool lol

I've listened to Skin Game and Side Jobs, and one other book that I can't recall right now... if that's James Marsters, then yes the narration is top notch.
Because of the work I do and the eyestrain that goes with it I pretty much only listen to books these days, so I have really high standards for narrators... Marsters is perfect for the Dresden world... though Jesus fucking Christ does he ever look... like he's had plastic surgery. He looks like a mannequin!
That's reassuring to hear, although I've been hearing nothing but praises.
Well that is obviously a professional photoshoot. That means two things: makeup and photoshop. He obviously looks much more "normal" in real life.

samalam_91

Mixes poisons and sharpens knives with Kylar
I'm 200 pages into Demon Road by Derek Landy and I can't get into it :( It was advertised as young adult but its closer to young teen. I don't usually give up on books but I think I'm going to with this one. I still want to read something more light hearted before I start The Last Argument of Kings so I think I'm going to start the next Dresden book tonight :)

samalam_91

Anybody listening to Dresden instead of reading it? I've found out it's this guy who's narrating and people say he's amazeballs at it. :D

This is awesome! Spike was my favourite character (alongside Faith) I might have to give the audiobooks a go now :D

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
I'm 200 pages into Demon Road by Derek Landy and I can't get into it :( It was advertised as young adult but its closer to young teen. I don't usually give up on books but I think I'm going to with this one. I still want to read something more light hearted before I start The Last Argument of Kings so I think I'm going to start the next Dresden book tonight :)
Stop struggling. You know you just want to barge ahead and start The Last Argument of Kings. Come to the dark side. :greyalien:

Ryan W. Mueller

Finished Queen of Fire by Anthony Ryan. Overall, I thought it was a disappointing conclusion to the series. I don't think it's as bad as a lot of people are saying. It just doesn't measure up to the first two books (and especially the first book). I should note that I did enjoy it. I just wish I could have enjoyed it as much as I did the first two.

That being said, he proved to me with the first two books that he can write a great story, so I'll definitely check out his new series that starts next year.

samalam_91

Fantam

Hi Fantam. I've been meaning to ask, what's going on in the image of the Jack Vance title page. Is that guy getting ready to backhand the kneeling girl with a stick? Is he Cudgel? I've only ready about 50 pages of the first book in that series.
Hi Kenubrion. No, I think the characters are the twin girls from the first chapter of The Dying Earth, Tsais and Tsain.

Tsais was the girl that hated everything, and is holding a black sword in readiness to strike her twin Tsain, whom fortunately persuaded her not to. I think that Tsais became a heart-breaking character with her flaw until....;)

Cyphon

Me too. A while back I wasn't that interested because I heard too many different opinions about his Broken Empire trilogy. Especially that the first book was not very good.

Since then though it seems he's come a long way. I've heard nothing but fantastic things about his new series, Red Queen's War?
I read the whole Thorns trilogy, The Prince of Fools and and most of the way through The Liar's Key and as seems to always be the case I am the opposite of the majority. To this point I think I like the original trilogy better . His stuff does take some getting used to though. Not really page turners but if you enjoy his style there is some nice elements to be found.

moonspawn

I rather not say until it's all done and I'm there. I don't wanna jinx anything by saying something too soon. Silly I know, but when I get there and settle in, I'll check in.
I'll take a stab at this and guess Sweden.