September 2015 - What fantasy books are you reading?

Amaryllis

Journeyed there and back again
Trying to read the second book of A Man of His Word. Dunno if I'm just not in the right mind-state or what, but I cannot focus on it. I kind of zone out after a few minutes. Which is weird, because I was reasonably entertained by the first book (not going to top any lists, but it was pretty good as far as things go), and wanted to start the second. I've still got 2 Alera books to go, but I read those books in like 2-3 days, and I don't want to run myself out. Trying to read 2-4 books in between to help motivate me to get through my ridiculous TBR pile.

Would also like to get more Shadow Campaigns books, but as with most series I develop an interest in, the local bookstore doesn't carry anything but the first, and I demand to find my books without the involvement of computers (this also would not help with the TBR problem AT ALL).

kenubrion

Hi Kenubrion. No, I think the characters are the twin girls from the first chapter of The Dying Earth, Tsais and Tsain.

Tsais was the girl that hated everything, and is holding a black sword in readiness to strike her twin Tsain, whom fortunately persuaded her not to. I think that Tsais became a heart-breaking character with her flaw until....;)
Thanks Fantam. Nicely done on the spoiler too.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
Trying to read the second book of A Man of His Word. Dunno if I'm just not in the right mind-state or what, but I cannot focus on it. I kind of zone out after a few minutes. Which is weird, because I was reasonably entertained by the first book (not going to top any lists, but it was pretty good as far as things go), and wanted to start the second. I've still got 2 Alera books to go, but I read those books in like 2-3 days, and I don't want to run myself out. Trying to read 2-4 books in between to help motivate me to get through my ridiculous TBR pile.
I struggled with this one, too. That was probably last year, and I haven't bothered to pick up #3 yet. I have felt like I could see where that series was going from the moment the two primary characters were introduced. I think that is what is causing me to lose interest.

mizztara71

Mixes poisons and sharpens knives with Kylar
I just stared The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. Judging by reviews, people either really love it or really hate it. Since I always finish a book once I start it, i'm hoping it's good. It would be a reading nightmare trudging through 672 pages.

Cyphon

I just stared The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. Judging by reviews, people either really love it or really hate it. Since I always finish a book once I start it, i'm hoping it's good. It would be a reading nightmare trudging through 672 pages.
I think even if you don't like it, it won't be such a nightmare because he really does write so well. Such a smooth read even if you don't enjoy anything else about it.

Cyphon

Finished up The Liar's Key by Mark Lawrence. A little slow at times but the 2 main characters are good enough to help carry the weight when those times hit. Definitely got better in the last 3rd of the book and the ending was funny. Now to figure out what to read next....

atheling

A Poet of the Khaiem
I am still reading Best Served Cold. Virtually no reading time during the week, except for a few minutes late in the evening--but that's usually when a certain someone wants to chatter away (or else just start saying foul words out loud for no good reason, as she's doing right now)

kenubrion

I'm finishing David Gemmell's The Swords of Night and Day, the last of his 11-book Drenai/Druss the Legend series. But I counted and there are 19 books of his I haven't read yet so that's good.

ReguIa

Finished with Leviathan Wakes. Great book, I gave it 5/5 on goodreads.

I loved the characters, especially Miller. During the first half of the novel I preferred Holden's chapters but after a while Miller just eclipsed him. At first I thought Miller was going to be the cop that always follows the law and would get in the way of everything, with Holden and crew being the ones with balls to do what needed to be done. Big surprise when it turned out it was the complete opposite.

Buffy V Slayer

Knows Who John Uskglass Is
I love all things Buffy and finding out Spike is narrating books is amazing.
Lol. Me too (if you couldn't already tell). I searched my local library's audiobook collection for James Marsden's readings of Dresden, but they don't have them. I think I even requested they get a copy but haven't heard anything yet. Would love to listen to his books this way.

Just finished Fool's Assassin, A War in Autumn, and now trying to get to Providence of Fire. I'm having trouble though, because I read The Emperor's Blades over a year ago and at least 30 books ago, and my memory isn't what it used to be. I remember that I loved the first book but can't remember exactly how each of the story lines ended. Can anyone point me to a good synopsis of the story? Even just a list of characters would probably help.

fbones24

Finished with Leviathan Wakes. Great book, I gave it 5/5 on goodreads.

I loved the characters, especially Miller. During the first half of the novel I preferred Holden's chapters but after a while Miller just eclipsed him. At first I thought Miller was going to be the cop that always follows the law and would get in the way of everything, with Holden and crew being the ones with balls to do what needed to be done. Big surprise when it turned out it was the complete opposite.
I loved Leviathan Wakes. I feel there was a slight drop off in the next book that was ever so slightly disappointing and enough for me not to continue with the series. I also feel that his writing has changed as of late and even noticed a new style in the most recent Dagger & the Coin novel. Not sure if he was over extended with his writing?

MrMarbles

Fought a battle in the name of the old gods
I loved Leviathan Wakes. I feel there was a slight drop off in the next book that was ever so slightly disappointing and enough for me not to continue with the series.
I felt kind of slightly like this, but after Book 3. Really wanted to get some more information on the galactic threat, perhaps meet some alien races, but it didn't seem to be ramping up in that direction (mostly human drama oriented).

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
I just finished the Last Argument of Kings by Joe Abercrombie. Reading the First Law trilogy was a fun ride. I'm a bit sad now that it's over. My review of the series will follow later (I'm in Prague for the weekend).

After some cool down time from finishing the First Law I'm going to start on the Name of the Wind later today. Heard a lot of good things about it on this forum, so I'm curious as to what I'll think about it.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just finished the Last Argument of Kings by Joe Abercrombie. Reading the First Law trilogy was a fun ride. I'm a bit sad now that it's over. My review of the series will follow later (I'm in Prague for the weekend).

After some cool down time from finishing the First Law I'm going to start on the Name of the Wind later today. Heard a lot of good things about it on this forum, so I'm curious as to what I'll think about it.
I went on a stag do to Prague a few years ago. .. It was messy, to say the least :)!

And I'm still holding off starting Name of the Wind. I demand at least confirmation of an approximate release date for the last book in the trilogy before sinking into it! It is a trilogy, right?

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
I went on a stag do to Prague a few years ago. .. It was messy, to say the least :)!

And I'm still holding off starting Name of the Wind. I demand at least confirmation of an approximate release date for the last book in the trilogy before sinking into it! It is a trilogy, right?
I think it's meant to be a trilogy, but so was a Song of Ice and Fire at first...

Haven

Became a Faceless Man
I recently read a copy of The Aeronaut's Windlass by Jim Butcher, which is his first foray into steampunk, unless I'm horribly mistaken.

It's a decent enough book, but it does feel kinda like YA and not something for a more mature audience.

However, the plot is sorta flat, but the worldbuilding makes up for it, and there are some really well written aerial battles.

Also, for cat lovers out there (*cough* @Sneaky Burrito *cough*) this book features a lot of cats ( the talking kind), which I'm ambivalent about, since most of the internet is already overrun by these beasts :p

ReguIa

I recently read a copy of The Aeronaut's Windlass by Jim Butcher
How would you say it is compared to Codex and Dresden? As good as, not as good or better?

Short responses please as I don't want to know anything about it before I read it:)

Haven

Became a Faceless Man
How would you say it is compared to Codex and Dresden?
Its like Codex, but under the author's own worldbuilding, but probably not as good ( it's too early to say anyway )