September 2015 - What fantasy books are you reading?

Sotiris

Knows the real name of Lower Corte
So I just finished Warbreaker and I enjoyed it immensely. I find myself drawn more and more in the Cosmere cosmology despite my initial reaction (after I discovered its existence after reading Mistborn).

So the next logical step was to grab my copy of Elantris! :D About a 100 pages in and I am enjoying it a lot, although I find it a bit more difficult that Warbreaker to get into.

ReguIa

Journeyed there and back again
I agree that it wasn't as easy to get into as Warbreaker, but in the end I liked Elantris more. I guess you have Stormlight Archive left after Elantris?

ofer

Finished The Stress of Her Regard by Tim Powers. In a word: Weird. In two words: Really weird.

That's not to say I didn't like it, though - The book had some excellent features as well as some hurdles. The main drawback for me was that some parts of the plot just didn't make sense -for example, you have one of the MC which one minute he's a total wuss, the in the next chapter he's suddenly goes all James Bond. Another was some sort of inconsistency between the chapters - some I really liked and were page-turners, and some were less interesting.

Probably the best part of the book for me was the writing, which created a sort of goth atmosphere throughout the book which was really well-done.

As a side-note, people who showed interest here in 19th century poets (@Silvion Night ?) will probably find a lot inside the book to connect with.

Jakyro

Ok. I'm starting the Malazan books. Hopefully - all of them in a roll, but most probably, with some small standalones in between. Either way - it'll be a fun year. I did the same with WoT, while I was writing When They Shine Brightest and I intend to do it again now. Wish me luck!
Enjoy! I'll be starting the series in 2016 ;)
or better, I'll pick it back up as I started GoTM some months ago but put it on hold at a certain moment. Not because I didn't like it, but because I wanted to give priority to some smaller series before delving into such a massive series

Sotiris

Knows the real name of Lower Corte
I agree that it wasn't as easy to get into as Warbreaker, but in the end I liked Elantris more. I guess you have Stormlight Archive left after Elantris?
Actually, I have read Way of Kings but not Words of Radiance. I got distracted with a few other reads and didn't get my (e-)copy and now it's kind of difficult to buy for my kindle (the economic situation in Greece, and the capital controls prevents us from buying from amazon :( ). So after Elantris I am going to read Emperor's Soul (have the paperback copy for that one) which, if I remember correctly, takes place in the same planet as Elantris.

About Elantris now, I am about 20% in the book and I am starting to really enjoy the characters and the mystery encompassing the city. By the end of the book, I think I will completely agree with you!

Last edited:

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
Started Uprooted by Naomi Novik.
Hope you like it!

Ok. I'm starting the Malazan books. Hopefully - all of them in a roll, but most probably with some small standalones in between. Either way - it'll be a fun year. I did the same with WoT, while I was writing When They Shine Brightest and I intend to do it again now. Wish me luck!
Enjoy! Don't let the first book dissuade you from continuing if you don't like it. Malazan readership is pretty much divided into a group which loved the first book, but didn't like the second so much and the other group which is vice versa. I didn't click with series until the 2nd book (Deadhouse Gates).

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
Started and finished Dragon Heart by Cecelia Holland (another ~300 page book in less than 24 hours but it was a very easy read on a holiday weekend). It reminded me a bit of Sea Change by S.M. Wheeler with a little bit of Patricia McKillip worked in. Am supposed to be writing a review for the BFB blog so I will get on that.

Started Tower Lord as well. Better wow me for a $14 ebook.

MrMarbles

Fought a battle in the name of the old gods
Started Tower Lord as well. Better wow me for a $14 ebook.
One of my favorite debuts of the last few years :D

For me: continuing to mostly read science fiction right now for new books, but re-reading Paladin of Souls as an aside. Such a great book, and Ista is one of my favorite characters. The dowager royina makes for a great protagonist, and hers is a wonderful story of personal redemption, and love.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just reached the 70% mark of To Green Angel Tower. JEEZ this is a long book. It's bloody brilliant though; I'm really enjoying it.

Also around 150 pages into Assail. It's ok - but not a lot has happened yet; we're still being introduced to the gazillions of characters which form part of any Malazan story.

Jakyro

Still reading "Before they are hanged"; 90% done now

It's a lot better than the first one. To start with I'm liking the characters a lot more than in the first book. The characters development is very nicely done. Jezal and Glokta for instance are much more likable and it still remains believable. West is also very nice. Already thought he was one of the better characters in the first book and I'm liking him even more now. I now understand much better why JA is hailed for his characters.
I'm liking the story also much more. It has a lot more direction. Also much more is happening now. I still feel it is all very straight forward, nothing very remarkable but I'm more drawn to it than before. It should end up 7.5-8/10 depending on how good it will end

rajwible

Helped Logen count his fingers
Finished The Crippled God during the car ride to and from South Dakota. I hate to admit it, but I kind of thought the ending was a bit lackluster.

I started Assassin's Apprentice. At first I thought it was interesting. After a while the scenarios just seem redundant. Or maybe it's the emotion of the characters or the feeling of the scenarios? Not sure. I'm about two thirds of the way through. I mean, I like it. I just expected something mind blowing. Possibly I'm not quite to that point yet? The writing is smooth though. Very easy to read.

deuslachesis

Told lies with Locke
Just reached the 70% mark of To Green Angel Tower. JEEZ this is a long book. It's bloody brilliant though; I'm really enjoying it.

Also around 150 pages into Assail. It's ok - but not a lot has happened yet; we're still being introduced to the gazillions of characters which form part of any Malazan story.
Just how pretty much everything meaningful happened at the end of Gardens of the Moon, it is exactly the same with Assail.

Sent from my Moto G using Tapatalk