September 2015 - What fantasy books are you reading?

wakarimasen

Journeyed there and back again
I'd say that's quite a good score. The nest one gets better still. I think the it's the quality of the overall body of work that keeps Joe being talked about.

Finished Final Empire by Sanderson. Enjoyed it.
Have no problem with the lack of sex, didn't even notice it. Would have been a bit weird for people in those situations to suddenly start getting their groove on.
See what people mean about the magic system. It's extremely detailed and in a way the whole book was ABOUT the magic system, which I only occasionally found a bit tiresome.
7/10

On to Ben Aarararaaarronnaoanovitch's Rivers of London. As a former resident of the big smoke I'm enjoying the whole Laandan tone of it.

Sotiris

Knows the real name of Lower Corte
Just finished Elantris. I loved the setting and the magic system. The only problem I got was with the pace of the book, growing more and more impatient after the second half and before the climax. Aside from that, I am eagerly waiting for the next installment in Sel. So, the next logical step is to dive into Emperor's Soul. Or should I take a break and finally start Codex Alera? What do you guys think? :D

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
Just finished Elantris. I loved the setting and the magic system. The only problem I got was with the pace of the book, growing more and more impatient after the second half and before the climax. Aside from that, I am eagerly waiting for the next installment in Sel. So, the next logical step is to dive into Emperor's Soul. Or should I take a break and finally start Codex Alera? What do you guys think? :D
Codex Alera is pretty fast, if you're looking for a change of pace. As in, I finished reading the whole series in a week...

Ryan W. Mueller

Those are both great options. The Emperor's Soul isn't much of a time investment, and it's a great story. Codex Alera is one of my favorite series ever. If you like action and magic, it's a great book for you. The pacing is relentless at times. I found myself frantically turning the pages.

bailebr

Got in a fistfight with Dresden
Best Served Cold is definitely the JA book that I enjoyed the most, closely followed my Red Country.

I've finally started the final part of Memory Sorrow Thorn. 6 pages in, 850 or so to go! I also finished When They Shine Brightest by @YordanZh, which I enjoyed on the whole, I'll start a new thread in the 2015 ratings section.
I'm about 70% through The Dragonbone Chair. I've enjoyed it, but it's been pretty slow going. How is it been that far in? Would you recommend sticking with it?

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm about 70% through The Dragonbone Chair. I've enjoyed it, but it's been pretty slow going. How is it been that far in? Would you recommend sticking with it?
Yes, definitely. The series has gotten better and better as it's progressed. I'll miss these characters! *sniffs*

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
Listening to Shattered. It's working out much better for me than the previous one. I like the multiple POVs, the audiobook works very well for that. The voice of the archdruid is well done. His character is quite funny.

fbones24

Finished The Crippled God during the car ride to and from South Dakota. I hate to admit it, but I kind of thought the ending was a bit lackluster.

I started Assassin's Apprentice. At first I thought it was interesting. After a while the scenarios just seem redundant. Or maybe it's the emotion of the characters or the feeling of the scenarios? Not sure. I'm about two thirds of the way through. I mean, I like it. I just expected something mind blowing. Possibly I'm not quite to that point yet? The writing is smooth though. Very easy to read.
Farseer is one of my favorite series and I think that if you are not enjoying it yet, you never will. I remember enjoying it from the very first paragraph. I will say that I think the second book is much better with the third book being quite disappointing.

Personally, I believe Liveship Traders is a better book than Farseer, however, the characters in Farseer will forever be in my heart. ...and not just the characters, the complexity of their relationships.

rajwible

Helped Logen count his fingers
Farseer is one of my favorite series...and not just the characters, the complexity of their relationships.
human people as opposed to a generic ye olde medieval kingdom
I just finished the first book. I really do like it and plan to continue on. I guess it was just different from what I am used to, yanno? I do like juxtaposition of the characters who actually have dimension to their emotions and personalities and of the characters who are basically static. I suppose that is the only complexity I've figured out so far. If there is any socio-political subcurrent, I'm sure to miss it unless it is incredibly basic. I'm just not wired to pick up on that stuff easily. Otherwise, I am really glad to have been suggested this author/trilogy/series! I love it when you try something new and it actually works out. Hooray and thank you to those that encouraged this leap of faith. :D

Unfortunately, the second book will not be available at the bookstore until mid next week. D: So for now I will be reading, while not fantasy, Carl Sagan's "Cosmos".

...is Lord of the Rings done correctly
Ouch. ;)

bailebr

Got in a fistfight with Dresden
Yes, definitely. The series has gotten better and better as it's progressed. I'll miss these characters! *sniffs*
Thanks! I'll keep at it. Like I said, I've enjoyed it. However it seems like it's taking me forever. Of course we've had a lot going on at home.

deuslachesis

Told lies with Locke
I just started Wayne Barlowe's inferno trilogy. I have finished Barlowe's inferno and am currently half way thru book 2 Brushfire. Reminds me a lot of Barker but not as creepy and wierd, however its delightfully and utterly dark AF!

Sent from my Moto G using Tapatalk

Darwin

@wakarimasen A lot of people feel that way at the point you're at, then greatly revise their opinion of the whole series at the very end. The fact that you're enjoying the characters is a very good sign. Let me know how you like Last Argument!

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks! I'll keep at it. Like I said, I've enjoyed it. However it seems like it's taking me forever. Of course we've had a lot going on at home.
It will have taken me over a year to finally finish the series. I've read around 40 other books along the way, but still, it's not been something I could focus solely on, despite enjoying it for the most part. Plus it's really bloody long for a trilogy!

LexieS17

Fought a battle in the name of the old gods
I'm reading the Dragons of Requiem series by Daniel Arenson. It's about were-dragons, people who have the ability to turn into dragons at will. They are persecuted for it and hunted to extinction as they're seen as diseased and not human. They constantly fight for their right to live and try to build a kingdom of their own. Lots of extremely graphic gore, violence, and blood. It is not for children. It has some sex in it too. There are 15 books broken down into 5 trilogies that each occur at different points in the history of Requiem. You can read any trilogy in whatever order you want or do as I do and read each trilogy in chronological order. I've read the first two trilogies and I enjoy them when I'm not shocked at the blood and gore. I did put that on hold for a bit and started Fireblood from the Whispers of Mirrowen by Jeff Wheeler. Im not far into it yet tho.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm reading the Dragons of Requiem series by Daniel Arenson. It's about were-dragons, people who have the ability to turn into dragons at will. They are persecuted for it and hunted to extinction as they're seen as diseased and not human. They constantly fight for their right to live and try to build a kingdom of their own. Lots of extremely graphic gore, violence, and blood. It is not for children. It has some sex in it too. There are 15 books broken down into 5 trilogies that each occur at different points in the history of Requiem. You can read any trilogy in whatever order you want or do as I do and read each trilogy in chronological order. I've read the first two trilogies and I enjoy them when I'm not shocked at the blood and gore. I did put that on hold for a bit and started Fireblood from the Whispers of Mirrowen by Jeff Wheeler. Im not far into it yet tho.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk
Welcome to the forum!

I just looked at the blurb for the first book, and it started with "if you like Game of Thrones, you'll love this". That really puts me off, it's lazy marketing and is just relying on another books success to try and boost sales. Plus I'm not a 'dragon fan'. I don't mind inclusion of dragons in stories, but it's never a deciding factor for me. Other than that it sounds great =)