September 2015 - What fantasy books are you reading?

LexieS17

Fought a battle in the name of the old gods
Welcome to the forum!

I just looked at the blurb for the first book, and it started with "if you like Game of Thrones, you'll love this". That really puts me off, it's lazy marketing and is just relying on another books success to try and boost sales. Plus I'm not a 'dragon fan'. I don't mind inclusion of dragons in stories, but it's never a deciding factor for me. Other than that it sounds great =)
I'm a huge dragon fan, love them. I agree, when marketing does that it kinda annoys me too. I for one don't think this series really has much in common with GoT other than the presence of dragons and one really really really REALLY sick twisted sadistic character who is worse than Joffrey and is more Ramsey Bolton.

It's an enjoyable read. Lots of action and I definitely clutched my pearls a few times from all the violence. It caught me off guard the first time when like 5 pages into the first book a woman gets set on fire in front of her daughter and it is very detailed. Shocked the hell outta me! And it gets worse. But you do get connected to the characters and your feels get caught up in what's happening.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

Aliphera

Listens to The Unbeliever whine about life
Started listening to my first audiobook since childhood, Hyperion. It is a nice experience (plus it makes running SO much more fun!), but some words I would have liked to see in writing. For example, it sounds like the are calling people on the "fartline" :rolleyes:

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
For example, it sounds like the are calling people on the "fartline"
That's what it's called.

Just kidding, it's "fatline".

Griffin

Journeyed there and back again
The Shadow of What Was Lost by James Islington

The plot is veined in a more classically themed dichotomy between good and evil the author Islington does it exceptionally well, in particular because of the interesting twists, hints and revelations. Not to say all of these are unexpected, on the contrary. Nonetheless they add to the whole reading experience in a good way.

Next to that a good, steady pace that's accumulating POVs as the book develops its background and mythos is combined with adequately crafted characters. The mythos and history are entwined with far-reaching consequences for several groups in society that halt certain prospects and much needed developments.

All in all I see a lot of promise and I'm looking forward towards the next book in this trilogy.

I rate it 8/10.

samalam_91

Mixes poisons and sharpens knives with Kylar
I have been in a bit of a reading slump these past two weeks but I'm determined to get back on track this week. I'm going to finish Fool Moon by Jim Butcher and then finally read the final book in the First Law Trilogy :D

Jakyro

I have been in a bit of a reading slump these past two weeks but I'm determined to get back on track this week. I'm going to finish Fool Moon by Jim Butcher and then finally read the final book in the First Law Trilogy :D
I'm only 31% in so you can still try to catch up :D
I'm liking the series now better than after the first book, but I'm still not amazed by it. For now the third book is on par with the second. After some reflection I also lowered the scores for the first two books:
The Blade Itself --> 6.5/10
Before They are Hanged --> 7/10
I think these scores give a better representation of my feelings to both books

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
I'm only 31% in so you can still try to catch up :D
I'm liking the series now better than after the first book, but I'm still not amazed by it. For now the third book is on par with the second. After some reflection I also lowered the scores for the first two books:
The Blade Itself --> 6.5/10
Before They are Hanged --> 7/10
I think these scores give a better representation of my feelings to both books
Too bad. I had so hoped you would like the books better than that...

paul james

Drinks Elfbark tea with FitzChivalry
Limping through Gardens of The Moon.

I really enjoy it but the chapters are broken into such smaller sections I feel like I can't get my teeth into it.

Also I constantly find myself checking the map/dramatis personae/glossary. All of which slows me.

A few days ago I have finished The City of Wizards by George Mazurek. It seems to be a start of quite good series. It's a short and high-paced story, ideal for one or two of the long winter evenings. It seems to be only available on Amazon, though.

Nikos4

Told lies with Locke
I finished The Heroes. I enjoyed it a lot, although I wasn't a huge fan of
Bayaz being behind seemingly everything again. That plot twist was already used, and once is more than enough.

I found it a nice touch how His Majesty's name wasn't mentioned in the whole book, so as to not spoil the surprise for those going back to read the previous books.

I started The Last Wish, I am enjoying it so far. I've played the games so nothing is really new yet, but more of Geralt is always good!

samalam_91

Mixes poisons and sharpens knives with Kylar
@Alucard Not this time :( I only enjoy audiobooks on long journeys and I don't travel very much these days.

@Jakyro Hopefully we will finish it at the same time and then we can discuss it in more detail :) I'm glad that you are enjoying them more than book 1 though!

kenubrion

I finally started The Emperor's Blades yesterday and got to
39% before I stopped in frustration due to the interminable exposition

Also
the sending of the sons to such ridiculous places for half of their lives goes beyond suspension of disbelief and into absurdity

The
never ending physical and mental abuse heaped onto them as part of the training is just intolerable to me, as it is also pointless

Death
was too good for the emperor for doing this to them

Please
give me hope this gets better

kenubrion

Nice work, fantam!

moonspawn

I recently read Blue and Gold by K.J. Parker. At 99 pages it was a quick and easy read and very funny, highly entertaining stuff. It's about an alchemist whose trying to turn base metal to gold. I'd recommend it for a first foray into K.J. Parker's work if you're unfamiliar with the author. There is a lot of technical details about alchemy; I think a lot of technical details about how stuff works is common in the majority of his novel, at least from what I've heard. The only other book I've read by him was the Folding Knife and it was excellent.

Today I'm going to start Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell and I'm really excited about it!

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
Finished Shattered. I felt this was a great improvement compared to Hunted. The pacing was better. A big part of the plot of all previous books was finally resolved here and it was generally action packed like all IDC books. I enjoyed addition of Owen O'Kennedy. I think his character gave another dimension to the books, because now we see thing outside of Atticus's POV.
Now I'm reading Three Slices which includes IDC 7.5 novelette, Not My Circus, Not My Monkeys by Delilah S. Dawson whom I have never read, and know nothing about and Interlude: Swallow by Chuck Wendig, novelette from the Miriam Black series which I'm interested in reading. So this is a great chance to sample some of Wendig's writing.

After I finish this I'll be fully caught up with all the novels, novellas and novelettes from Iron Druid series and ready for Staked in January.