Sequel - to kill a mockingbird

Axcellence

A farm boy with a sword
http://edition.cnn.com/2015/02/03/...x.html?sr=tw020315harperlee230pStoryGalPhoto (CNN)Fifty-five years after "To Kill a Mockingbird," Harper Lee is publishing a second book, her publisher said Tuesday.

"Go Set a Watchman," which Lee completed in the 1950s and then set aside in favor of "Mockingbird," will be published July 14. It follows Scout, the little girl of "Mockingbird," as an adult.

The manuscript was rediscovered last year, Lee, 88, said in a statement from her publisher, Harper.

"In the mid-1950s, I completed a novel called 'Go Set a Watchman,' " she said. "It features the character known as Scout as an adult woman, and I thought it a pretty decent effort. My editor, who was taken by the flashbacks to Scout's childhood, persuaded me to write a novel (what became 'To Kill a Mockingbird') from the point of view of the young Scout.

"I was a first-time writer, so I did as I was told. I hadn't realized it (the original book) had survived, so was surprised and delighted when my dear friend and lawyer Tonja Carter discovered it.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
I've seen all sorts of speculation. For example: the ebook version of Mockingbird only came out last year, suggesting the author needs $$$. This release falls in line with that. Or, there have been some rumors that Harper Lee suffers from a form of dementia, and the ebook and now this are efforts to take advantage of her.

I don't know that I believe either of those or not, as I really haven't bothered to look up much in the way of evidence, but there's already been a huge amount of talk online and this was only announced today. It's just weird, how quiet and private she's been, and then all of a sudden, two things in a relatively short time.

Axcellence

A farm boy with a sword
I've seen all sorts of speculation. For example: the ebook version of Mockingbird only came out last year, suggesting the author needs $$$. This release falls in line with that. Or, there have been some rumors that Harper Lee suffers from a form of dementia, and the ebook and now this are efforts to take advantage of her.

I don't know that I believe either of those or not, as I really haven't bothered to look up much in the way of evidence, but there's already been a huge amount of talk online and this was only announced today. It's just weird, how quiet and private she's been, and then all of a sudden, two things in a relatively short time.
I get what you are saying. But, she's over 100 years old. If money was an object high on her desire list, she had ample opportunity to come out with a sequel. The article clearly states the book was written prior to "to kill a mockingbird" - and the original book will be published unchanged. Surely, an editor would have been used, to polish, if she was so concerned about success. Harper Lee hasn't also done any public interviews since 1964 - so, to even provide some quotes to authenticate the logic behind the book, shows some level of genuineness.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
But, she's over 100 years old
She's only 88. Will be 89 in April. I'm thinking if money was the issue, maybe it was poor estate planning or a need for long term care of some sort. Although surely she is still getting royalties from Mockingbird.