Shadows of Self by Brandon Sanderon

Jon Snow

No Power in the Verse can stop me
Staff member
Book 1 of the new Trilogy

Would have been a 4.5 if the last 1/4 hadn't picked up.

It's not a bad book but I'm used to Sanderson awesomeness (at least from Mistborn and Stormlight).

I am looking forward to the rest of the series and at the end he does show us something dramatic.

João Ribeiro

Journeyed there and back again
@Jon Snow you sir are a tease. I've been waiting for this one for some time now. Reread Alloy of Law recently and now I have to wait and consider your rating for days before getting my hands on the ebook.

SuperDuper

Knows how to pronounce Kvothe
I liked Alloy of Law but thought the Wax and Wayne name joke was silly. Not really excited for this trilogy because I want the other mistborn trilogy he promised set in modern times. Oh well eventually I will get to it.

Jon Snow

Staff member
I liked Alloy of Law but thought the Wax and Wayne name joke was silly. Not really excited for this trilogy because I want the other mistborn trilogy he promised set in modern times. Oh well eventually I will get to it.
Well if you look at the characters and what they do and how they are represented. Then Wax and Wayne analogy works quite well in my opinion.

You're going to be waiting for a few years yet if you are waiting for Mistborn Era 3.

Ryan W. Mueller

Well if you look at the characters and what they do and how they are represented. Then Wax and Wayne analogy works quite well in my opinion.

You're going to be waiting for a few years yet if you are waiting for Mistborn Era 3.
Didn't Sanderson say that would come sometime after the first five Stormlight books are done. I also know that he's going to try to fit the Elantris and Warbreaker sequels somewhere in there. I guess it sucks for people who are fans of one particular series, but it doesn't bother me. I'm a fan of everything I've read by Sanderson, so I'm always excited to see him coming out with something new, whatever it is.

It seems like Sanderson can write ten books in the time it takes GRRM to write one.

João Ribeiro

I'm a fan of everything I've read by Sanderson, so I'm always excited to see him coming out with something new, whatever it is.
I'm pretty close to being a Sanderson fanboy but he did have a couple of misses among his many many many hits :)

Personally I would rather read 1 book by Martin then 10 books by Sanderson.
Blasphemy :)

Anyway back on topic. @Jon Snow I read the blog post where you say that this is the first book of the next trilogy. So Alloy of Law was just a prelude? I was under the impression that this was book two of a "spin-off" trilogy.

Jon Snow

Staff member
I'm pretty close to being a Sanderson fanboy but he did have a couple of misses among his many many many hits :)

Blasphemy :)

Anyway back on topic. @Jon Snow I read the blog post where you say that this is the first book of the next trilogy. So Alloy of Law was just a prelude? I was under the impression that this was book two of a "spin-off" trilogy.
Yes. Mistborn is suppose to be a trilogy of trilogies. Alloy of Law is sort of like an intermission book. Shadows of Self is the first book in the new trilogy.

João Ribeiro

Yes. Mistborn is suppose to be a trilogy of trilogies. Alloy of Law is sort of like an intermission book. Shadows of Self is the first book in the new trilogy.
Oh cool, I actually thought the Wax and Wayne adventures would be a self-contained spin-off series.

Thanks for the info.

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
Oh cool, I actually thought the Wax and Wayne adventures would be a self-contained spin-off series.
Thanks for the info.
You might like this then. There is already a cover and a pub date for the next one

Jan 28th 2016
The third one is expected somewhere in Oct 2016, and for now it's called The Lost Metal

João Ribeiro

The third one is expected somewhere in Oct 2016, and for now it's called The Lost Metal
@Alucard You just made my Monday. I knew about Bands of Mourning but not The Lost Metal. So that makes the second trilogy complete in a one year span.

Now this is podracing! :bag:

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member

Jon Snow

Staff member
This is what I came here to say. This is why I got bored with the original Mistborn trilogy.
I'm not sure what the book will be about, however, I think there is always going to be another lost metal.

1) the ruler hid a lot of things from the general populous. many things got lost
2) the new trilogy is hundreds of years later. There are no longer any mistborn. Things got lost or were never found in the first place.
3) I never felt that any of the lost metals were a deus ex machina, so I'm fine with it.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
I wasn't even thinking about deus ex machina (I don't remember the original series well enough to comment on that). I just got bored with new metals conferring new abilities. (And the whole telegraphing that Vin's earring is going to be IMPORTANT at some point so let's be sure to mention it 20 or 30 times.) That would still be an issue regardless of the plot. (Granted, a really good plot could overcome that.)

In general, I think it is a problem with Sanderson. He recycles ideas and writes the same book over and over again and uses the same ideas over and over again. (Stormlight, being more expansive, may be an exception, although a lot of his favorite features were in Way of Kings, too.)

I was excited by his work, too, when I first encountered it. But now I'm kind of like "meh" and I look for other things to read. Someone (not a member of this board) recently told me regarding Stormlight: "The primary goal of this new series is not so much writing a long epic with great characters and plot (Sanderson plans on writing ten -- 10 -- books in this series) but writing a loooooooooo000ng series to sell lots of books to fans." Having only read the first book, I can't comment on the overall characters and plot, but I don't disagree with the rest.

João Ribeiro

"The primary goal of this new series is not so much writing a long epic with great characters and plot (Sanderson plans on writing ten -- 10 -- books in this series) but writing a loooooooooo000ng series to sell lots of books to fans."
It does seem that Sanderson is trying to push the envelope with this new trilogy. I mean the original plan was to have 3 trilogies. I think he wasn't counting on Alloy of Law being as well received as it was and now changed the plan to include this fourth trilogy in there and milk the Wild West setting.

Still love his work but this seems a bit of a cash grab. That being said I'll still fall for it and give him my money :)

João Ribeiro

Sucker! ;)
I probably will too .. eventually!
I'm just that close to being a fanboy.

Still don't like the Reckoners and not a big fan of Elantris though.

João Ribeiro

I thought the person who said that was referring to The Stormlight Archive series. Not the Mistborn series. That's what I got from Sneakey's post.
You are probably right, it's just a coincidence that I was thinking the same thing but regarding the "new" trilogy in the Mistborn series. One thing led to the other and I jumped to the conclusion that Sneaky was also referring to Mistborn.

Also, Stormlight is basically my all-time favorite (even though we're only 2 out of 10 books in) so I can't make myself type anything against it. :D

ReguIa

I'm done with this one now and I think I have the same opinion as Jon. It's not bad, but it's not anything special either when you compare it to his other stuff. Shadows of Self (and Alloy of Law) each barely feel like HALF a book when you think about Stormlight Archive or the original Mistborn trilogy.

These just feel too episodic, while the other books feel like a story with beginning, middle and end. IMO these Wax & Wayne books should have been 2 books instead of 4. Hell, maybe even just a big stand alone considering the 2nd BIG trilogy will take place in the same era.

3/5 stars from me. I can't give it any higher even though I enjoyed it.

Worth mentioning is that the characters are great in this, especially Wayne. His parts were a superb contrast to the other more serious Wax and Marasi chapters.

Griffin

The first actual book in the second mistborn trilogy, The Alloy of Law being a sort of intermission kind of book.

I don't remember all that much from TAoL, but I can safely say I like Wax and Wayne way more in this book. I was a bit sad Wayne didn't feature as prominent as before, because he's without a doubt the most intriguing character. Waxillium is clearly is the main protagonist though. Marasi balances out the otherwise mostly male cast. Unfortunately she exemplifies the main treats Sanderson attributes to his female characters. I'm not the biggest fan.

Plot was coherent and succint. No meandering additives in Sanderson's work. This book could have used it in my opinion. There wasn't all that much worldbuilding, although a bit of referencing to the first trilogy. The story moved along at a steady pace and culminated in a foreseeable ending. I did like where the story arc of Wax ended at the end. It makes a lot possible for the sequel and threequel.

I liked to read the book, like many of Sanderson's book, but in all fairness (to myself) I rate this book 7,3/10.