Show us your library

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
Hi everyone,

I'm an avid collector of books. Mostly Fantasy, Sci-Fi, alternative history and philosophy, but also other genres (especially non-fiction history). I am not really fond of e-books. I like to be able to touch, smell and throw the book across the room, and physical books are still best suited for these purposes. This is also the reason why I prefer physical maps (in for example a historical atlas) to digital maps. Also, I like to think of a physical book as a piece of art. This makes cover art so important in my opinion. It just looks amazing to have a book closet filled with great titles.

Over the years I have collected quite a lot of books. What started of with 1 book closet when I was 14 years old has now grown to 7 closets (with 2 empty shelves left). I've managed to convince my wife that the cellar is an excellent place for a library (don't tell her I consider this to be my man-cave). Below you can find two pictures of it.

Now, I am very curious as to your collections. Do you have a library? If not, how many book closets do you have? Can I see pictures? Can I show them to my wife so that she sees there are people as crazy (or crazier) than I am?

Attachments

Last edited:

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
Does this count?

3 years of living on the other side of the world teaches you to not accumulate or grow attached to physical books. So yeah pretty much all my fantasy/sci-fi library is there aside from dozen titles which are not ebook available.
And if they are not on my favorite gadget in the world, then they are on my second favorite thing

Alucard

Staff member
Btw, I really like your library and the "guard" in the corner ;) I would like to have something like that, but I'm not done moving around this planet of ours just yet. Maybe I settle down when I'm 5o, so I can start collecting.

Also chess table! I love playing chess.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
Btw, I really like your library and the "guard" in the corner
In my old house the guard was positioned behind the front door, near the coat hanger. It really freaked people out (which was my intent), but in my new house there's no room for him at the front door anymore, so now he guards my library.

Also chess table! I love playing chess.
Cool, me too! I've got this great set of chess pieces based on the Lewis chessmen. Check it out here.

sopranosfan

Journeyed there and back again
A lot of mine are boxed up now because we changed the flooring and I moved the small bookshelf to my son's room. I will try to get pictures of everything soon.

Alucard

Staff member
It really freaked people out (which was my intent),
Well aren't you devious. How tall is that thing? If it's under 5'10 I'm good. I don't get scared of shorties. Even in the dark.
I've got this great set of chess pieces based on the Lewis chessmen. Check it out here.
That's a cool looking chess. Wouldn't mind having that myself :D
I moved the small bookshelf to my son's room.
So it's your son's library now? :D Did you manage to convince your son to read any fantasy? Or maybe he didn't need convincing?

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
I'll get back to you in a month after I move...right now my place is a mess.

Sir Arthur

I don't own a lot of books. I've built up quite an ebook library though. When we build up too many books, we bring them to a used book store. We've moved around alot, so we're always getting rid of stuff. We enjoy a simple life in a small house without alot of possessions. Life is about experiences not stuff. However, I do appreciate a nice collection like @Silvion Night has. Someday I may put together a small bookshelf with a few of my favorites.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
But for now I'm using these spaces:
Awesome collection, Griffin. I didn't know you were Belgian. Studying in Ghent I see. What subject? (I'm Dutch, History major)

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
National Politics ;) I actually have my thesis hearing wednesday and then school is over! :nailbiting:
Wow, that's exciting. Good luck with defending your thesis!

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
Thanks! What's your main time period for study?
I studied general history so as to become a history teacher. My thesis was about Dutch historiography. Ironically I didn't end up becoming a history teacher, but instead I'm now a system administrator at a big Dutch brewer. I love this job though. Funny how these things go.

Griffin

I actually have a bachelor's degree in history (and geography). I attained it before mastering in political sciences, but finding work as a teacher in such secondary courses is really hard in Flanders.

I love this job though.
I'm not sure what I will do - I'm still very much job hunting - but if I find a job I can love, that would be tremendous!

sopranosfan

This is my main bookshelf that I just built. IMG_20150629_153816_kindlephoto-444679422.jpg This is my secondary one also full and I built this o n e too. IMG_20150629_153849_kindlephoto-444747797.jpg This is where I have been putting more overflow at. IMG_20150629_154024.jpg
Ok here is mine. I haven't organised the secondary ones yet because I am going to build another one like my main one for more hardback and big paperbacks soon. I also have an under the bed storage bin with mass market paperbacks I have read like Wheel of Time, Malazan and a few others. And my wife is a big reader as well and some of these books are hers.

Last edited: