Six Of Crows by Leigh Bardugo

R.E.M. Verberg

A farm boy with a sword
9/10 (published 07/28/2015)

Is it just me or did anyone else really enjoy 'Six Of Crows'? I read a lot of YA, but in this particular case I thought the characters and their backgrounds were not only original, but also very well balanced with solid world building and an enthralling heist plot. If I had to sum it up in one sentence, I'd say this book's mechanism is so well put together that everything just...ticks.

The six main characters are original, stand-alone and differ enough from each other to justify each of them being in the story. Even if they'd been more cliched or flat, the plot (twists) alone would have been enough to keep me going throughout the book. The combination of the two made it a very satisfying read for me.

Additionally, I appreciated the 'edgier' themes sprinkled throughout the book: mental illness is taken seriously, gender roles are revisited, and there are characters with different sexual orientations and races without it being an issue. However, I don't think these elements are prevalent enough to hamper your enjoyment of this book if you don't appreciate them. Like I said: Bardugo strikes a really great balance. ;)

kenubrion

Journeyed there and back again
Usually I can't get enough of different sexual orientations and racial issues in fantasy (btw, why is this book considered fantasy?) but at least the characters don't make you regret stopping at about 60% through.

R.E.M. Verberg

A farm boy with a sword
Ah, bummer! What was it you disliked so much about them?

I agree it's pretty low fantasy, but there is enough riding on the Grisha magic, plot-wise, to categorize this as fantasy in my opinion. Also - combination of elements taken from different continents/cultures: Russia, Golden Age Amsterdam, etc etc. I enjoyed the ecclectic mix.