So what's new on the fantasy frontier?

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by Griffin, May 31, 2014.

1. Griffin

Griffin Journeyed there and back again

I thought it would be great if we could post about all the new books, anthologies, news snippets, potential movie adaptations etc. concerning the fantasy genre.

Something like this:

Brandon Sanderson to release original graphic novel trilogy set in the Cosmere

Brandon Sanderson has announced that his planned White Sand trilogy of fantasy novels has been re-tooled as three graphic novels, to be published by Dynamite Comics.

[​IMG]

The White Sand series has been percolating for many years. Set on the planet Taldain, it is part of Sanderson's wider Cosmere universe (also including his Mistborn andStormlight Archive series, and his novels Warbreaker and Elantris). Taldain is a tidally-locked planet where one half of the world is under permanent daylight and the other in eternal darkness. The 'Daysiders' and 'Darksiders' each have their own unique abilities, with the Daysiders able to use the sand of the title as part of their magic system.

According to Sanderson, the novel trilogy will now not be published, with the story exclusively set to feature as a graphic novel series. The first volume will be published in 2015.

2. sopranosfan

sopranosfan Journeyed there and back again

As someone who has become somewhat of a Brandon Sanderson fanboy this makes me happy.

3. Griffin

We can be buddies in that category! But I'm both sad and happy because I don't really read graphic novels. But I'll have to make an exception, now don't I? :p

4. Griffin

5. Sneaky Burrito

Sneaky Burrito Crazy Cat Lady Staff Member

Better than the crappy US covers, for sure. (WoT is published by Tor in the US.)

6. Alucard

Alucard In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge! Staff Member

Brits continuing love for minimalism :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Griffin

8. TomTB

TomTB The Master Tweeter Staff Member

I prefer the original UK covers ... they're not a lot different though!

9. Sneaky Burrito

Sneaky Burrito Crazy Cat Lady Staff Member

The "really old" ones. Which are the ones I have (and bought less than 10 years ago in the US).

10. Griffin

True, they don't differ must, but I like the tone and the colour schemes. It all comes down to subjective opinions :)

Yeah, that's still quite unbelievable, it looks so early eighties.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
  11. TomTB

which eighties? :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Journeyed there and back again

I really like them. Now if they would just edit some of the content...

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. Griffin

I'll be honest, I don't get the joke here :oops:

14. Alucard

It could be 1580s, 1080s, 2080s....referring to the knight in the armor...although judging by those covers it's around the first option lol

15. Griffin

Ohhh, now I see :p should have guessed!

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met behulp van Tapatalk

16. Amaryllis

Amaryllis Journeyed there and back again

The eighties that my age was in by the time the series actually got finished.

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Alucard

18. TomTB

Joe A is doing a book signing in my local bookstore in a few weeks ..... very tempted to go (although I don't normally do that sort of thing).

I will read Half a King too at some point; will probably wait for the whole trilogy to be available though!

• Like Like x 1
  19. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Journeyed there and back again

Good idea. I'm reading four series and only one is complete. I hadn't realized Dagger and Coin and Kvothe weren't finished. Stormlight I couldn't resist. *Sigh* I'll just complete Codex Alera and begin Dresden next.

I never read a book with only a few teaser chapters available. That's too frustrating. Likewise the first chapter of the next book following a book I just completed either. Not after finally getting some closure.

20. Griffin

I totally agree with this. I never do this. The same goes for randomly released chapters (GRRM!).

About reading finished and unfinished series: I don't really care series are unfinished, because I can fill up the gap between the last published book and new releases with my giant pile of 'I-have-to-read-this-soon' books . And even if I read finished series, I tend not to read them back-to-back, but throw in other books between them.

• Agree Agree x 1