So what's new on the fantasy frontier?

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by Griffin, May 31, 2014.

1. Khartun

Khartun Journeyed there and back again

I didn't make a cover spread but here is a link to a great gallery of the April books.

http://www.sfsignal.com/archives/20...y-science-fiction-fantasy-horror-books-april/

I'm really looking forward to the new Marko Kloos.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Alucard

Alucard In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge! Staff Member

This one sounds interesting (reminds me of Dying Earth genre) and it's coming out on April 19. Never heard of the guy before. No pun intended :D
    It's damn short though, and it's only 2.99$
    http://www.amazon.com/Emperors-Railroad-Dreaming-Cities-ebook/dp/B0166PX2SY
    Published by Tor/Macmillan.

Global war devastated the environment, a zombie-like plague wiped out much of humanity, and civilization as we once understood it came to a standstill. But that was a thousand years ago, and the world is now a very different place.

Conflict between city states is constant, superstition is rife, and machine relics, mutant creatures and resurrected prehistoric beasts trouble the land. Watching over all are the silent Dreaming Cities. Homes of the angels, bastion outposts of heaven on Earth. Or so the church claims. Very few go in, and nobody ever comes out.

Until now…

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  3. TomTB

TomTB The Master Tweeter Staff Member

Dinosaurs? *hands over cash*

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Alucard

lol

Why couldn't it be mammals like saber-tooth tigers or mammoths? As far as I know scientist now plan to clone mammoths using elephant embryos or eggs (not really sure, not a genetic biologist) as we can extract DNA from their remains. Something we cant do with dinosaurs afaik, because of their age.
    Imagine if they manage to clone saber-tooth tigers and mammoths, and those things just go free in the mayhem of a global apocalypse?

5. TomTB

It would be another reason to lock your doors at night for sure! I'm pretty sure @Darwin does this kind of thing for a job .. if he comes back maybe he can shed some light :)

6. Maark Abbott

Maark Abbott Journeyed there and back again

"Why not sabre-tooth tigers and mastodons?"

Because you'd still need Pterodactyl, Triceratops and Tyrannosaurus to complete the lineup.

I do rather like the sound of that, though. Palaeontology is something I considered as a career when I was younger.

7. Alucard

What line up?....those didn't even live in the same age as mammoths and saber-tooth tigers. Mammoths and saber-tooth tigers lived millions of years after dinosaurs went extinct.

Nonetheless, for me personally no dinosaur comes as frightening as this thing.
    [​IMG]

8. Silvion Night

Silvion Night Sir Readalot Staff Member

That Megalodon is indeed pretty frightening. It would be easily avoidable though; just don't go swimming in waters where such beasts naturally occur.

• Like Like x 1
  9. TomTB

What if a T-Rex was chasing you though, and your only option was to jump in the sea?

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Silvion Night

Pff, I'd just chase it off with my pet Velociraptors:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  11. Alucard

Around half of world population uses oceans as their primary source of food. So yeah.
    Swimming is not even an issue. That thing could take on fishing boats.

12. Silvion Night

It's a frightening thing to contemplate. I wonder what it's behavioral patters in relationship to humans would be. If I remember correctly the Megalodon mainly feasted on whales, porpoises, dolphins, giant turtles etc (also many other species, as sharks are generally very opportunistic eaters). Would that mean sharks would go for fishing boats Sharknado-style (or Giant Shark versus Mega Octopus-style rather)? Could be. It's closest living relative, the Great White Shark, seems to sometimes attack humans (particularly surfers) because they resemble seals (one of the shark's main prey animals). Megalodon might try to eat fishing boats because they somewhat resemble the outline of whales. It's an interesting discussion.

The existence of such a creature has always been mind-boggling, but also strangely enticing to me. I'm fond of the world of crypto-zoology, but I know most sightings of these types of animals can be banned to the realm of fantasy (lo and behold a bridge is finally created between this topic and the forum as a whole :p). How cool would it be though if there is truth to the idle speculation and that Megalodon still roams the deep oceans? I know this to be a fantasy, but here I am; a fantasy lover, and I can't help but wonder.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Alucard

A few years ago I came across this book where one man tried to answer that question. Never read it though, so how cool the book itself is I have no idea.
    https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/5997846-meg

I guess reading about it didn't appeal to me as much as thinking about it.

14. Silvion Night

Hmm, I think we should get @TomTB to read and review it for us. After all, he's our resident dinosaur- (and other prehistoric fauna) expert.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  15. Maark Abbott

Sometimes I forget that not everyone will know of the Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers.

There was also (eventually) a dragon and all.

16. Alucard

Oh I see.
    Well I do know of them. But I was around 13-14 when they were on here. Puberty already hit me by then, and I was too old to get into that kiddie stuff.

17. Silvion Night

That's weird. In my case I started liking the Power Rangers right when puberty hit me. I particularly liked the Pink Ranger. :hungry:

• Funny Funny x 4
  18. Alucard

Yeah I was already in high school when I was 14. Believe me I had other crushes.

19. Maark Abbott

You dirty devil, Silv.

I'm gonna look into Haley, the prehisteampunk vibe I'm getting from that description sounds intriguing.

20. Anti_Quated

Anti_Quated Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune

It's ebooks like this that actually make me want to put aside my vehement disdain toward Kindle/Kobo/etc and actually buy one of the damn things. AH! There's a paperback! Djesssss!!! :oldman:

• Like Like x 1