So what's new on the fantasy frontier?

Laurentius

Super Moderator
Staff member
Among Thieves and Sworn in Steel - book 1 and 2 in a series that is the closest you will get to Locke Lamora, but in my opinion it is superior.
Shadow Ops trilogy by Myke Cole - good and new urban military fantasy. I founf it wortwhile to read this series, which is complete.
Red Rising by Pierce Brown - fantastic sci fi book. Hunger games for adults with a more exciting story.
Ready Player One by Ernest Cline - If you havent read this book yet, do this one first. One of the funnest and exciting rides which has been published in the last decade.
The Magician series by Lev Grossman - complete trilogy. Excellent writer. Highly recommended.
The Golem and the Jinni - published a few years back - good one.

If you are feeling it, i would recommend these self published guys.
Hugh Howey with Wool Omnibus and Sand Omnibus. They are both a great read.
Blood Song by Anthony Ryan - now published, but he started out selfpublishing. Blood Song is amazing, the sequel less so.

My highest recommendation is Ready Player One and Red Rising. Both a fantastic thrill ride and can be read as stand alones.

Hand of Fear

Journeyed there and back again
Among Thieves and Sworn in Steel - book 1 and 2 in a series that is the closest you will get to Locke Lamora, but in my opinion it is superior.
I would say the 1st book by Scott Lynch is better than the 2 books by Douglas Hulick, but Douglas Hulick's 2 books are better than Scott Lynch's 2nd book.

wakarimasen

guess he might have handed over his unused idea notebooks to some copywriters and artists to make something out of it....
On the subject of these kind of "source books". I've seen a few, interactive versions, go through in the course of work and from what I've seen its material provided by the publishers. Much of the visuals are created by designers to a style guide, or just off their own backs. The better designers at least read the books but often are fans anyway so what they turn out can actually be alright. In some cases the author gets final approval. In rare cases the author actually avails themselves of it. The children's author Julia Donaldson really takes the time to say whether she likes stuff, plus her stuff (as a dad) is great, so good for her...
Personally, the fantasy ones I've seen I wouldn't bother with.

btkong

Staff member
I think the big hitters have been released for the year now (the last one was Richard Morgan's The Dark Defiles and Garth Nix's new Old Kingdom book was also released last month).

The sequel to Red Rising is being released January though. Science Fiction, but that's my most look-forward-to book next year.

Scorpio1990

Has been in the eye of the world
After I finish the below average book that I am reading I think I am going to give The Malazan books a try, you guys mention them so much I thought it's about time!

kenubrion

Boreas

Staff member
OK, what's ARC? Thanks.
Also called a Galley copy or Galley proof. Such copies can become highly sought after by collectors for those books that become very famous, and especially if the original run of 1st printings was also extremely low. Most such ARCs or proofs are very difficult to find in unread condition.

Derk of Derkholm

Of course, those ARC are only sent out to very trusted reviewers to help improve the quality of the final product.

Some authors (like Rothfuss or Peter Brett, if I am not mistaken) sometimes post contests on their websites to their most avid readers to send them applications why they should be included in the circle of pre-reviewers.

Best regards,
Andy

Derk of Derkholm

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member

kenubrion

http://brandonsanderson.com/state-of-the-sanderson-december-2014/
Apparently we have TWO new Mistborn books set in the Alloy of Law world releasing pretty soon. I own Alloy of a Law but still haven't read it, even though I think it was a Christmas present from last year.
Thanks for that State of Sanderson newsletter, sf. It's amazing, really. What an incredible talent. I won't complain ever again about waiting for a sequel, no matter which series. He's doing so much it's just hard to believe. Couple that with the quality of the writing, we're very fortunate that he exists.