So what's new on the fantasy frontier?

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member

wakarimasen

Journeyed there and back again
That thread made me wince and smirk at the same time. Incur the wrath of BFB at your peril.

I love that fact that, obviously because of lapsed time, both his Robin and Mad Man accounts now have loads of credits. It gives them more weight somehow, like he was awarded a prize for Upstanding Douchbaggery.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
It gives them more weight somehow, like he was awarded a prize for Upstanding Douchbaggery.
I wonder if I can use my mod powers to go in and change his title?

wakarimasen

I guess it should Outstanding Duchebaggery, of course (fingers quicker than mind it seems). Not that I'm saying you should definitely do that. (once again I find myself distressed because I have to choose between rating something funny/agree and like)

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
I guess it should Outstanding Duchebaggery, of course (fingers quicker than mind it seems). Not that I'm saying you should definitely do that. (once again I find myself distressed because I have to choose between rating something funny/agree and like)
I figured out how to change his location and occupation although I didn't actually do that yet...

ReguIa

I so want that book. He finished it some months ago and it's up for a September release? The torture...:(

I'm in love with the title by the way.

Jakyro

I don't know if it has been mentioned on the board yet, but Butcher is publishing the first book in a new series this september:
http://www.tor.com/blogs/2015/02/jim-butcher-cinder-spires-fantasy-series-coming-this-fall
I haven't read any of his books (yet) but for now I think his Dresden Files books aren't really my cup of tea. I'm not (yet) into urban fantasy (maybe I'll give them a try in the future once I've finished more appealing books). This new series seems more interesting though.

Jakyro

That's what I thought too; I managed to prove myself wrong with Dresden!
That's why I will probably give it a shot in the (far away) future. I already understood that some people were in the end really surprised how good the series actually is. Someone already mentioned that the first three books aren't really oustanding and it's better to start with a later book. Plotwise I wouldn't miss out on much

Cyphon

I haven't read any of his books (yet) but for now I think his Dresden Files books aren't really my cup of tea. I'm not (yet) into urban fantasy (maybe I'll give them a try in the future once I've finished more appealing books). This new series seems more interesting though.
You should give Codex Alera a look if you aren't into UF. They are more "normal" fantasy.

Can't wait to check out Cinder Spires.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
Michael J Sullivan has signed a deal to release 4 new books http://riyria.blogspot.co.uk/2015/02/i-have-new-4-book-deal.html

His books are on my TBR list (I own two already) .. I'll try to get round to them before this new series kicks off!
I found his first 6 Riyria books pretty light reading. Easy to get through, nothing groundbreaking, though (except the self-pubbing success, though I read them after Orbit got ahold of them). But...he did clearly plan them out in advance and knew where he was going with them (whereas GRRM's first book jacket says book 2 will be called "A Dance with Dragons"...). And I think he writes pretty consistently so there shouldn't be a long wait. I have a couple of his other books in my TBR pile.

kenubrion

Michael J Sullivan has signed a deal to release 4 new books http://riyria.blogspot.co.uk/2015/02/i-have-new-4-book-deal.html

His books are on my TBR list (I own two already) .. I'll try to get round to them before this new series kicks off!
That is great news and I'm happy for Michael. He sometimes posts on the Amazon fantasy forum and seems like a swell guy. I really liked the Riyria books and always hoped that he would follow Royce back to the elves' world and chronicle his sorting them out. But a brand new series like this is even better.

Griffin

Cover for the fourth Gentlemen Bastards book 'The Thorn of Emberlain'

"The Gentleman Bastard is going to war..."

That's an interesting direction. I'm very curious.