Spam that turned into a thread about measurement

Aakash1

A farm boy with a sword
Keeping this part or the post

Weight : 0.26 Kg

Length : 22.9 cm

Width : 15.2 cm

Height : 1.1 cm

and deleting the rest because I can't ban her from the site. We need to contact Ben about that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bierschneeman

Journeyed there and back again
yup, this happened....again.....at least it was in Anyrthing ...?

(sidenote I just tried to block the website, I already blocked it.)

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
Weight : 0.26 Kg
Length : 22.9 cm
Width : 15.2 cm
Height : 1.1 cm
All completely vital to deciding whether or not to buy a book. I'm going to Google straight away to convert those to non-metric measurements!

Boreas

Staff member
Pfssh, who needs imperial. The whole world should be under the thumb of the metric. It's the one tyranny I applaud.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
Pfssh, who needs imperial. The whole world should be under the thumb of the metric. It's the one tyranny I applaud.
I have a very strict division in my life. Anything related to science must be metric. Anything not related to science cannot be metric. Except for 2L bottles of soda, and 750 mL bottles of wine. I really have no concept of how many cm tall I am, or how many kg I weigh, or what is good or bad weather in degrees C.

Antoxx

I have a very strict division in my life. Anything related to science must be metric. Anything not related to science cannot be metric. Except for 2L bottles of soda, and 750 mL bottles of wine. I really have no concept of how many cm tall I am, or how many kg I weigh, or what is good or bad weather in degrees C.
If only wine bottles were standard metric size in height, then you'd have no problem. ;)

Bierschneeman

I too adhere strictly to what I know,
I hate measuring my height in inches, as much as cm, I think its dumb, so I go with feet and inches.

beyond that I generally pick the more accurate measuring system (so you will never see me using Celsius, as the less accurate method.) OR I have to adhere to an industry standard of measurement.
I use Bbls as an industry standard (that's the volumes we have to submit for tax purposes) that's 31 gallons, so I have to use gallons. (but we also use tuns, hogsheads, butts and ounces for starters)
hops are read as Bushels with %AAs we measure them out in lbs (better to work with gallons) and calculate out the IBUs (International bittering units, as oppose to European Bittering Units)
I prefer the more accurate metriclike plato (or balling) to specific gravity
the grain is measured in Lovibond, and the beer is easier to meaure in SRM so I use both.
its common for brewers to use 750ml, as well as magnum, Jeroboam, Methusala, salmanazar, Balthazar and Nebuchadnezzar. but those latter are for special purposes.

so im a hodgepodge of preference,

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
I only ever used metric. I know my height in feet and inches because I'm tall, and Americans often go, waaah how tall are you?? I have to answer in feet and inches because most of them have problem placing the height I give them in centimeters.

If I moved to US, I would be so lost. *sadface*

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
American recipes confuse me no end. I mean, it asks for (say) 2 cups of water ... well I have different size tea cups for a start, so which one to use?
And then i need to add 2.5 sticks of butter!!! A stick!!!! Where to start with this one ..

Give me grams and millilitres any day of the week.

I also can't do height in cm, but can't do distance in feet. I don't do kilometres, it's all in miles. Don't understand degrees F, has to be degrees C. I'm extremely British!

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
And then i need to add 2.5 sticks of butter!!! A stick!!!! Where to start with this one ..
I know right! Haha, just give me how much grams of butter do I need! They don't sell it as sticks in Europe!
I have less of a problem with cups and table/tea spoons, because I have lots of kitchen utensils including measuring cups and spoons. Its not the same as a coffee or a tea cup that is used for drinking.

Boreas

Staff member
beyond that I generally pick the more accurate measuring system (so you will never see me using Celsius, as the less accurate method.)
True, Fahrenheit is more accurate than Centigrade since each interval of a degree F is smaller than a degree C. However, the accuracy of C can be improved by using decimals, i.e. 18.3 degrees C, which probably makes it as accurate (or, nearly) as Fahrenheit. I've never seen F being used with decimals, whereas C is often depicted with decimals for further accuracy. And even though the measure of C is coarser than F, each interval of C is equal to an interval of Kelvin, which makes conversions to SI units much more convenient.

I'm definitely more comfortable with metric and SI units, but I can still think of my height in feet and inches (how I first learned to measure height), I'm fairly comfortable with Fahrenheit (my flat, when I was in Ontario, had a thermostat in Fahrenheit - no idea why, since everyone in Canada seems to measure temperature in Celsius) and I'm also fairly comfortable using miles (I still convert to kilometers in my head).

I have to admit that imperial measurements of feet and inches and miles and yards have a charm to them that works well with rhymes and poetry and adages.

Yeah, that is damn confusing.

Bierschneeman

American recipes confuse me no end. I mean, it asks for (say) 2 cups of water ... well I have different size tea cups for a start, so which one to use?
I'm extremely British!
thats 8 tbl. or 4 oz. per stick

but I will never forgive you brits that year I was racking my brain on an English eggnog recipe that measures it out in pecks and gills. GAH!! how do you guys deal with that. I ended up just drinking the rum because I couldn't figure out a conversion for an imperial gill to something I had a measuring device for.

Last edited:

Bierschneeman

True, Fahrenheit is more accurate than Centigrade since each interval of a degree F is smaller than a degree C. However, the accuracy of C can be improved by using decimals, i.e. 18.3 degrees C, which probably makes it as accurate (or, nearly) as Fahrenheit. I've never seen F being used with decimals, whereas C is often depicted with decimals for further accuracy. And even though the measure of C is coarser than F, each interval of C is equal to an interval of Kelvin, which makes conversions to SI units much more convenient.
for weather, yeah not that big of a deal.
but on my fermentation tanks at work, we deal with decimal points all the time. we measure out efficiency and try out the profile of the beer at different temperatures all the time, and the difference between fermenting at 68 degrees or 68.3 is pretty big in ester production

our house Belgian strain is pretty finicky it has a tendency to take a ciesta and stop working if we lower the tank temp by as little as .2, if we raise it the same amount, the esters and phenols will increase by 200% making the beer taste more like a fruit bowl.

Danica

Queen of the boards!
Staff member
cm, m, km, kgs that's my language. People in Aus still announce baby weights in pounds which i think is stupid because NO ONE uses that anymore so i google convert it or just sit there trying to guess how heavy the baby is in 1KG flour bags or something so I have some perspective. I know how tall 6ft is because my dad is exactly 6ft and so is my bf, but anything above or less I got no idea. It is so confusing!

Last edited:

Amaryllis

I don't actually care what system of measurement is used, as long as it's consistent. Canada does this thing where a bunch of things are metric, but then a bunch of stuff is in imperial instead. Fuck that stuff. One system please. I do think base 10 makes more sense than whatever acid trip imperial was on, but I am of course more familiar with imperial, being american. And switching to metric now would be squashing the freedom that made this country great (I'm not sure how, bu5 the news tells me so).