Spam that turned into a thread about measurement

Derk of Derkholm

Journeyed there and back again
And switching to metric now would be squashing the freedom that made this country great (I'm not sure how, bu5 the news tells me so).
Haha, that must be Fox "News" :)

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
Aus switched and a history tells me no ones freedom was squashed ... so maybe America could do the same thing.
That would probably require Congressional action. Good luck getting those guys to agree on passing a budget, immigration, unemployment benefits, minimum wage, or about 200 other things that are probably higher on the priority list than measurement systems.

Danica

Queen of the boards!
Staff member
gun control worked here too, which might be more important than changing the measurement system.

Although I will be honest, in Aus people are always complaining about unemployment benefits and why people should get them or that no one should get them , thankfully, our government rarely listens to them.
- Budget UGH! don't get me started on our newly elected prime minister.
- Immigration, I am in favour of a more compassionate approach, but sadly I am in the minority. I read a sample resume somewhere that had U.S. Resident Alien. and I completely freaked out that that is an actual term and people use it. Even now I still can't get over it.
- Minimum wage here is good, and really should be implemented in America.

Not to say our country is better than use nah nah nah naa nah. Mine has lots to work on too. More compassion i think would be a good start for both our countries.

Hand of Fear

Although I will be honest, in Aus people are always complaining about unemployment benefits and why people should get them or that no one should get them , thankfully, our government rarely listens to them.
People come from all over the world to the U.K for benefits and free health care, and we let anyone in all to sponge off tax payers and the government.

Then we have people that have lived in the U.K all their lives trying to get out, due to the way the country is run.

João Ribeiro

Pfssh, who needs imperial. The whole world should be under the thumb of the metric. It's the one tyranny I applaud.
It would be worth conquering the world just to get everyone in the metric system I 'll give you that.

I don't actually care what system of measurement is used, as long as it's consistent. Canada does this thing where a bunch of things are metric, but then a bunch of stuff is in imperial instead.
Both Canada and the UK.

Boreas

Staff member
That would probably require Congressional action. Good luck getting those guys to agree on passing a budget, immigration, unemployment benefits, minimum wage, or about 200 other things that are probably higher on the priority list than measurement systems.
So true. The U.S. seems to like legislating everything it possibly can.

I read a sample resume somewhere that had U.S. Resident Alien. and I completely freaked out that that is an actual term and people use it. Even now I still can't get over it.
I thought that was pretty common...to refer to non-citizens as 'aliens' in immigration documents.

Danica

Queen of the boards!
Staff member
I thought that was pretty common...to refer to non-citizens as 'aliens' in immigration documents.
in Aus, you can be an Australian citizen and resident or you can be an Australian resident but not an Australian Citizen. I ave friends who are from NZ and want to remain NZ citizens but are Australian residents. We don't use the term alien.

Bierschneeman

yeah the same here, its generally messed up with too little help for those who need it, and too many loopholes for those taking advantage of the system. I think it would be in our interest to drug test the applicants. that's a law that everyone should be able to get behind.
- Budget UGH! don't get me started on our newly elected prime minister.
ahh yes, prime minister mmmbghtyaussiejoektrayine ....*darts eyes
- Immigration, I am in favour of a more compassionate approach, but sadly I am in the minority. I read a sample resume somewhere that had U.S. Resident Alien. and I completely freaked out that that is an actual term and people use it. Even now I still can't get over it.
my mother inlaw is one of those (I think). she's a british national living and working in the US and has been for at least 29 years
- Minimum wage here is good, and really should be implemented in America.
we have minimum wage here, problem is it varies from state to state.
the federal mandate is $7.25.
and some states like Washington and Oregon constantly increase the wage rapidly causing a lower standard of living for much of the skilled workforce in order to provide a better standard of living for the unskilled workforce. (im not saying they are necessarily unskilled, that's just the economic jargin for a worker at a job that doesn't require college education, or apprenticeships)
and I hear that some states have pre existing laws with lower standards than the federal mandate like $4.00 or something.... if this is true....that's pretty ridicules

*edit, doing some extra research, found an interesting tidbit, if you look at the stats on oecd, the countries with larger unskilled laborforce have lower median wage than the countries with laborforce deficits.

Last edited: