Stranger of Tempest by Tom Lloyd

Discussion in '2016 Published Books - Your Rating' started by btkong, Jul 15, 2016.

1. btkong

btkong Journeyed there and back again Staff Member

This is the first in a new epic fantasy series by Tom Lloyd, author of The Storm Caller (and sequel books).

I've started it -- it's kind of like, for lack of a better comparison, The Black Company -- a gritty military fantasy about a mercenary company fighting with and against magic.

So far, pretty good. I suspect it will scratch your military fantasy itch if you have one.

2. Kalavan

Kalavan Ran bridges next to Kaladin

An extremely fast-paced and surprisingly engaging fantasy romp, with an extremely likeable MC and the supporting cast of a boisterous and well-individualized bunch of adventurers that was easy to root for – 7,5

3. kenubrion

kenubrion Journeyed there and back again

And it is $1.99 now. I just bought it.

4. Sneaky Burrito

Sneaky Burrito Crazy Cat Lady Staff Member

I thought it was OK but, like, this sort of book has been done about 100 times before.

5. Peat

Peat Journeyed there and back again

I thought the first half of Stranger of Tempest was a really good light adventure fantasy with some snappy interpersonal dynamics and lines.

The second half is more sludgy than snappy and I very nearly didn't finish it. If the first half is about a 4/5, the second half was struggling to get 2/5 from me. Such a shame.

6. Sneaky Burrito

Sneaky Burrito Crazy Cat Lady Staff Member

I've read the second volume in the series too (was just released in July). Big chunk of it is a lot like the second half of book one...although I actually liked it a bit better.

• Informative Informative x 1