Take that Goblin scum! 1d8 Damage!

wakarimasen

Journeyed there and back again
I just played D&D for the first time in an age with at bunch of guys in the office at lunch.
Was awkward, stilted and slightly confusing. It was GREAT!

I've noticed quite a few RPGers coming out of the nerdy closet among grown ups now. Indeed, one of the conventions in the states has a gaming session where fantasy authors take part and folk watch.

Do we have any lapsed D&D fans, tempted to recapture their youth by slinging a frost ray here and a magic missile there?
And is it just me - or is it, like so many formally geeky things, gaining more credibility?

Boreas

Staff member
I once watched a bunch of kids play D&D at my school. A friend of mine also taught me to play Magic the Gathering over one long session, but I never played again.

As for the credibility thing, maybe Harry Potter is largely responsible for making it OK for adults to enjoy <derisive snort> fantasy in mainstream culture? Certainly after that there's been a slew of 'nerdy' TV shows widely watched by the general populace. Or even going as far back as Friends?

wakarimasen

Yeah, there can be no denying that Big Bang Theory has made shone a light on the nerdiest of behaviour but managed to promote nerds as real human beings, often even preferable mates to more atavistic types.

Keelan

Listens to The Unbeliever whine about life
I play D & D and Pathfinder, most of the time running the sessions. The most annoying part of GMing is when people in the party don't turn up, either telling you at the last minute, or not telling you at all. Once you play for a while, I've found the awkwardness goes away.

Shorty

Philosophizes with Kellhus
I had my first Pen & Paper Aventures this year but we play Savage Worlds: Hellfrost.
A fantasy Setting in a cold / northern region.
A bunch of 30 somethings enters a world, where the the head of the controlling dep. turns into a grumpy dwarf, a doctor of engineering shows up with a selfmade skeleton-hand-puppet because he is now a necromancer.
My teacher fiancee transforms into a gargoyle and I myself, become an acrobatic thief.

It wasn't as awkward as I thought. Actually it wasn't awkward at all, but only great fun.

Keelan

I suppose it depends on the group. I like to bring different people together for the sessions. For example, my current group has 2 people who were best friends, then two others who didn't know anyone else at the table, at first. Then there's me. I think RPing is one of the best ways to form bonds between people.

Derk of Derkholm

Does any of you have a good suggestion for a D&D style game that I could pick up with my kids (boys, 11&12)?

We really liked playing the antiquated but cherished 80's "Heroquest" game that I managed to buy on eBay, but without any add-ons available, that did not last too long.

What would be a good next step that does not require thousands to buy the paraphernalia, and be fun for adolescents?

Best regards,
Andy

Derk of Derkholm

Patrick (Shorty), thanks a lot for the suggestion.
Will have a look at it!!!

Keelan

There are some free RPGs around that aren't too complicated. Admittedly I prefer complex games, but open d6 doesn't look complex. Also, for something different, you could try microscope. It's more of a history making game than a traditional RPG, but it's light on rules and is enjoyable. Best with three players.

Placida

Owns a Ring of Power
Do a search for "micro dungeons" There are a lot of simple systems out there on the internet for ready playing. From there, you can decide whether or not to move into D&D or (my favorite) Rolemaster. At 10 and 12, your kids can handle it. As Game Master (Dungeon Master) you control the content of the game. My daughter started playing RoleMaster with us at age 9 and credits it with much of her math skills (Rolemaster has a table based combat system with lots of plus and minus modifiers).

wakarimasen

I started my 5 years old soff on Hero Kids as it's super simple. They are 6 now and we've got rid of the board (but map dungeons for them on graph paper as we go), added a few more stats, and nudged it towards D&D and they love it.
here's my "Hero Kids Turbo" Char sheet which I use for them...
character-sheet.jpg

wakarimasen

it's a great way to teach loads of stuff... basic numeracy, vocabulary, planning, logic, cognitive skills like reasoning and consequence.
In my opinion RPGs should be compulsory on the curriculum...