The Abject God by Allan Batchelder

Discussion in '2016 Published Books - Your Rating' started by kenubrion, Jan 10, 2017.

1. kenubrion

kenubrion Journeyed there and back again

The fourth book of Allan's planned five books in his Immortal Treachery series introduces quite a few new storylines and characters while also filling out the storylines of the major characters from the previous books. All of them have new and exciting adventures and most also develop new abilities and talents, fleshing out their characters beyond what we already know about them. There are many skirmishes but the big battles are being held off until the finale, as the storylines develop to fruition and convergence. As a getting ready for the ultimate showdown kind of book, it's got a lot of new persons, places and action, as well as some pretty big shocks along the way. Faithful readers of the series will be happy with all the new stuff here while also getting ready for it all to come together. That's going to be a major task because of all the storylines and characters who are now involved.

Its made me want to see the conclusion even more and as such it has succeeded as a precursor to the finale. My rating is 9.7 out of 10.

• Like Like x 3
  2. TomTB

TomTB The Master Tweeter Staff Member

I've just finished reading this, and wow, what a book.. brilliant stuff from start to finish, which to be fair, is what we've come to expect from Allan!

The series has taken a step up with this book in my opinion. The first three books now almost seem to be scene setters for what's to come in this book, and undoubtedly the next one, because it's fairly clear that these last two instalments of the series are almost going to be a 'finale in two parts'.

As @kenubrion mentions there are new and old characters alike. The old crew have been developed beyond their earlier selves, and are growing nicely into their positions in the story. The new characters fitted in seamlessly and ended up being some of my favourite story lines, Qinsup and her relationships in particular.

All in all, 5/5 GR rating, and 9.5/10 for the purpose of BFB.

Now hurry up Allan and write book 5!

• Like Like x 3
  3. TomTB

Also, I'll add that throughout the latter part of the book I was concerned that the story was just going to abruptly stop, which in a way it did, but some of the revelations and twists in the last 25 or so pages were brilliantly done. It's left me pining for the sequel!

4. Silvion Night

Silvion Night Sir Readalot Staff Member

Thanks for the enthusiastic review Tom. I'm now really looking forward to reading this. Just 1 more Discworld book to go and I can devour Allan's book.

• Like Like x 1
  5. TomTB

It's nice when you've got something to look forward to which you're 99.9% certain you're going to adore :)

I think @Jakyro has finished this too .. would be good to know how he found it (hint hint ;))

6. Silvion Night

Silvion Night Sir Readalot Staff Member

(Review posted on Goodreads and Amazon)

I just finished this puppy and wow-ee, what a fantastic ride it was. As I've come to expect from Batchelder, the action in this book was fast-paced, the humour top-notch and the story engaging.

The Immortal Treachery books rely on a relatively small group of characters. Each of these characters is larger than life. Almost (but not quite) caricatures of themselves. There's the idiot shaper (wizard) Spirk Nessno, who is so ridiculously idiotic that you can't help but laugh at his antics. The taciturn one-liners by captain Kittens have the same effect. And then there is our protagonist Tarmun Vykers himself. Uncompromising and unyielding, the man simply waltzes over anything and anyone in his path. Although often violent, the Vykers chapters are always good for a laugh in a "oh no he didn't" kind of way.

Yes, dear reader: the keyword in this series, and so also in the Abject God, is fun. The characters are fun. The banter between them is fun to read, but above all: you can really tell the author had a blast writing the story.

Another cool thing about this book, and this also holds true for the previous installments in the series, is the way in which the story is presented. There are about 12 parts to the story, which are basically groups of chapters. Then there are the actual chapters, which are quite short. Each of these is introduced with a short introduction where it is stated which of the characters the chapter focuses on and what the location is. In the chapter you basically look through the eyes of 1 of the characters mentioned in the chapter introduction. This works -and let me emphasise here- extremely well. Each of the chapters is written as a mini-story (or an act, if you will) and has a proper start, middle and ending. Because the chapters are rather short it just makes you want to keep turning the pages. Anyway, I think this approach is quite refreshing. I'm almost certain Batchelder was inspired in this approach by his history as a playwright. In any case, it's awesome and in my opinion an example that I wish other fantasy authors would follow.

The only gripe I have is that the book ended quite abruptly in a cliffhanger. The book set the stage for the fifth and final novel, and I just can't wait for it to be released. Get to it Alan!

I rate this book with 5 stars (9.2/10)

Ps: thanks @ABatch for the acknowledgement. It was a cool surprise to be mentioned! I even shows my wife (who of course had a laugh when she saw the nickname I use on the forum).

• Like Like x 1
  7. ABatch

ABatch Ran bridges next to Kaladin

You're welcome, as always!

8. Khartun

Khartun Journeyed there and back again

Just finished this book. Another terrific installment @ABatch. Some crazy stuff happening at the end. Can't wait for the conclusion.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. ABatch

Thank you, kind sir!

10. Poorjames30

Poorjames30 Possibly a Darkfriend

Hey is there a map to this series?

11. ABatch

That's been a topic of much discussion. There is not. And there's a plot-bound reason for it. Next series, I'll give you TWO maps! :)