The Aeronaut's Windlass by Jim Butcher

btkong

Journeyed there and back again
Staff member
Just got the audiobook and will start listening to it.

Post your ratings here when you guys have read it.

Haven

Became a Faceless Man
It definitely feels more YA than is advertised.

Somewhat reminiscent of the Codex Alera series, and has the potential to be great, depending on how the books pan out.

7/10

João Ribeiro

Just finished the Prologue in the Amazon site, looks promising. From the Prologue alone I also have the YA vibe.

Still, after Abercrombie's Half a King series and Sanderson's Rithmatist, I came to realize that there's YA and there's YA-done-right.

Also, in Butcher we trust.

Going to get the Kindle edition and dive right into this.

Derk of Derkholm

Great to hear that this book is out now!

Will check it out shortly...

Best regards,
Andy

João Ribeiro

Will check it out shortly...
Beware, it's really hard to put down. Classic Butcher to take the usual tropes and rub them in your face. I'm missing a bit of the Dresden typical humor but it's still really good.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
Damn, I'm too busy at work this week to get to this one...

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
Damn, I'm too busy at work this week to get to this one...
Total off topic and perhaps a bit audacious, but I've been wondering what line of work you're in Sneaky. Do you mind me asking? I'm intrigued because you once mentioned you have a degree in Chemistry (of I remember correctly). Sounds exciting.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
I work at a patent law firm. But I am not an attorney. I generally help the attorneys with their work. But sometimes the work has been slow. Which is my cue to read novels on the Kindle app on my work computer.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
So you're a nice person :)
Actually, patent attorneys are generally nice. They're out to help inventors and they're usually science nerds. And they rarely go to court (there are usually separate litigators for that) so the stress level is low, which makes them much more pleasant to be around than trial lawyers.

At any rate, I bought this book for my Kindle today. $13.99. Not sure when I will get to it. Could've had same-day delivery of the hardcover from Ammy for a few bucks more. I have yet to try the same-day delivery from Ammy, though. I think the delivery people expect tips and I don't have any cash.

João Ribeiro

At any rate, I bought this book for my Kindle today. $13.99. Not sure when I will get to it. Could've had same-day delivery of the hardcover from Ammy for a few bucks more. I have yet to try the same-day delivery from Ammy, though. I think the delivery people expect tips and I don't have any cash.
Not sure about the delivery people in the US.Here in Portugal they don't expect tips, they just expect you to sign as fast as you can to continue their route and deliver the rest of their stuff.
It's probably a cultural thing, I was in San Francisco a couple of weeks ago and found it funny that the total in the receipts was always blank and had a entry to fill out with the tip before calculating the total total amount. I'm used to paying for the meals and then leave tips (whenever I get above average service) on the table on the way out.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
Not sure about the delivery people in the US.Here in Portugal they don't expect tips, they just expect you to sign as fast as you can to continue their route and deliver the rest of their stuff.
It's probably a cultural thing, I was in San Francisco a couple of weeks ago and found it funny that the total in the receipts was always blank and had a entry to fill out with the tip before calculating the total total amount. I'm used to paying for the meals and then leave tips (whenever I get above average service) on the table on the way out.
You can still leave tips on the table on the way out. (Tips are expected in the US for servers but you don't have to put them on your card. In fact, if you leave a cash tip, the waiter is more likely to get all of it. Sometimes the restaurant takes a cut of stuff that's charged. But a charge is still better than nothing.)

Most delivery people in the US don't accept tips. I've just heard the tip thing about Ammy's same day delivery drivers. Here we can now get stuff in one or two hours from Amazon. I'm usually OK waiting longer than that. Or will just buy what I want at a store instead.

OK, enough off-topic stuff from me! I think I will start this book once I finish Rivers of London #3, which I am maybe 20% of the way through.

Derk of Derkholm

At any rate, I bought this book for my Kindle today. $13.99. Not sure when I will get to it.
I don't fully understand this ... when I buy a book for my kindle, I go online and it typically gets delivered a few minutes later, at the most.
Have you faced problems with non-timely kindle deliveries?

Best regards,
Andy

Derk of Derkholm

Ah yes, that makes sense.

I misread "when I get to it" as "when I get it", and as she was mentioning the "same day delivery" I was afraid there might be some places where kindle books take longer to be delivered :p

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
@João Ribeiro has it right. I am in the middle of another Kindle book and just remembered I am supposed to review yet another one for the BFB blog by October 16 (I promised the publisher). So sadly, Jim Butcher will be put off for awhile.

btkong

Staff member
Finished this one. Overall, quite liked it. Parts, especially the early parts were a bit slow, but this is not necessary a bad thing. Butcher just info dump you with the world building -- things about the world are gradually revealed to you over the course of the book, keeping a sense of mystery and wonder to the world. I liked this.

I especially liked how thing ended -- on a nice big bang and a good setup for the next.

This is the first book and, like a first book, there's a lot to cover. Butcher does take his time. There is action, ship to ship battles, and a potentially interesting magic system (still being revealed). The world created is interesting and I'm interested to see what else is revealed in book 2.

Butcher does very well with tactical ship to ship battles, creating a real sense of military tactics and air to air battles between airships. I just wish there was more of it (in the book there was only two such parts, the very beginning and very end). I hope in the next book, Butcher spends a lot more time on the airship in general -- by far the best part of the book.

Overall, a good effort and a great change of pace from his Dresden. I'm looking forward to his next, and I hope he puts more emphasis on airship life.

I give this a solid 8/10

João Ribeiro

Finally finished the book
Loved some of the character:
  • Rowl - is awesome, an excellent portrait of a cat (voiced by António Banderas)
  • Grimm - Part Dresden, part Han Solo. I'm expecting some more development and exposure to his past
  • Folly - Just too cool
  • The Auroran Marines pair - Bad guys but deep down just soldiers

Wasn't so hot for other
  • Bridget and Gwen - Maybe they'll step up as characters in the future
  • Ferus - Meh

The Predator crew was rather enjoyable altogether.

The airship combat was really well done and I have a feeling it will become more and more important in the future due to:
The crystals in the the Predator haven't really shone so far and Folly's "dream" of crystal ships for the future. Also, the ships with personalities thing needs to be explored further.

Also any similarity between Grimm/Predator with Solo/Falcon are pure coincidence since Butcher is not a Star Wars fan at all. :D

I rate it 8.5/10

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm pleased this is getting good reviews! Would anyone who's read both compare this to Tales of the Ketty Jay series by Chris Wooding?