The Autumn Republic by Brian McClellan

Discussion in '2015 Published Books - Your Rating' started by Haven, Mar 14, 2015.

1. Haven

Haven Became a Faceless Man

A satisfying conclusion to one of the best flintlock fantasies out there.

This book really is all about wrapping up the threads created by the first two in the trilogy. A lot of battles, both political, real and personal.

Some really good tactical moments as well as political intrigue. The ending was pretty good, wraps up satisfyingly while leaving just enough to the reader's imagination. Also the origin of the so called "gods" is still left very much in question, and is could possibly be a target for future novels.

Some cons would be that there is somehow not as much a sense of urgency as before, and that Nila being one of the gifted doesn't really add much to the story, but I guess that can be explored in the future, and will be from the number of novellas he has written.

A solid 8.

2. Griffin

Griffin Journeyed there and back again

An 8 as well. Pretty much agree with everything Haven just said.

3. Sneaky Burrito

Sneaky Burrito Crazy Cat Lady Staff Member

I thought McClellan was going to explain:

why she can touch the Else without using gloves like all the other privileged

but he didn't.

4. Griffin

To pick up in a new book I suppose? He clearly loves this setting, what with all his Powder Mage short stories/novellas. I suppose we'll know more soon, since he was contracted for a trilogy and now he fulfilled that contract.

5. Jon Snow

Jon Snow No Power in the Verse can stop me Staff Member

Which ones are they? I've never knew there were any.

8 as well from me. A decent read and make me turn lots of pages very quickly.

If someone could explain to me how
    Tamas beat the Kez army. I don't have a military brain. But what I gathered was that Kez had overwhelming numbers. How could Tamas go on the offensive?

6. Griffin

https://www.goodreads.com/series/99602-powder-mage

Well, that part is indeed a bit unbelievable. McClellan suggests the Kez only use their overwhelming numbers and barely any tactics. Most of the battle is also brushed over as we see it from the micro-scale. And the fact that Tamas played it out the day before is even more unbelievable. This is one of the few small things that he could've done better.

7. Jon Snow

Jon Snow No Power in the Verse can stop me Staff Member

Thanks @Griffin

Thought it was just me that thought it was a bit unbelievable.

8. Danica

Danica Queen of the boards! Staff Member

8/10. Loved it but agree there was little sense of urgency, i found myself skimming over parts. I think book 2 was better. I am really glad I picked up the series

9. Reakon

Reakon Listens to The Unbeliever whine about life

8/10 for me too. Thoroughly enjoyable, but too many loose ends that I was
    Sure they would tie up. The 2nd book was the best of the 3

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Ryan W. Mueller

Ryan W. Mueller Ran bridges next to Kaladin

I loved this book and the trilogy in general. There was so much action, and I liked all the POV characters (which is more than I can say for a lot of fantasy lately).

9.5/10

11. kenubrion

kenubrion Journeyed there and back again

What a delightful, well written and exciting book. I agree completely with Ryan. Anyone who doesn't read the Powder Mage trilogy is depriving themselves of a great series that has already spawned a sequel trilogy starting with Sins of Empire.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017 at 12:58 PM