The best thief in fantasy literature?

So!

Who in your opinion is the best thief in fantasy literature?

Is it perhaps Tasslehoff Burrfoot of DL setting?

Or the heroic Gray Mouser?

Or perhaps the scoundrel Locke Lamora?

Or someone else?

Have your say!

P.S. I did search if there was a topic about thieves already, but could not find one. So hopefully this really is a new topic!

Danica

Queen of the boards!
Staff member
Locke! I love that he plans elaborate and intense cons. I enjoyed reading about them and putting pieces together. also, being a thief in rl is bad! just had to put that in ;P

l3gacy

Dr. Awesomesauce
Staff member
Good thread... I don't think thieves get a lot of attention anymore, it's always assassins, warriors, and mages. Certainly Locke is the most recent thief worth mentioning. If I remember, Silk from Belgariad/Mallorean was a thiefy character. Jimmy the Hand from Riftwar was an epic thief and ran the information network in Midkemia as he got older. I haven't read Gray Mouser so no idea about him.

Danica

Queen of the boards!
Staff member
Oh Silk! I loved him! he was my fav character in that series. Then when they get to that tower and he gets all badass ninja on the bad guys /fell in love.

But i think Silk and Jimmy are thieves and because they were part of the underground also a source of information and no how. Locke is a theif and conman and I think lives in a different kind of world. More high class crime.

I think Jimmy the Hand is my choise.
-because he is not superhuman or loaded with special gear. He is just your regular bloke, and very likeable as well.

as an aside I really dislike Raymond E Feist's latests books. His older books are so much better.

moonr

Killed in the battle against the Mad King
My vote is for Jimmy the Hand. Although would Jarlaxle the head of Breagan D'Aerthe count as a thief?

Technically I think Vin from Mistbourne started as a thief so she would have to be one of the most powerful. Another very powerful thief would have to be Althalus.

Bilbo would obviously have to win for most famous thief!

Tasselhof and Regis were entertaining in a really simple D&D way.

Sandman

Has been in the eye of the world
Kelsier and Vin are good choices however I never really considered either of them a "thief" like I think of Locke.
I need to find time to reread Mistborn.

Sotiris

Knows the real name of Lower Corte
Kelsier and Vin are good choices however I never really considered either of them a "thief" like I think of Locke.
I need to find time to reread Mistborn.
I kind of agree with you about Vin and Kelsier. Including Locke, I wouldn't so much characterise them as thieves, but as con-men. That been told, I would vote for Crocus from the Malazan Book of the Fallen

Hikerike

Owns a Ring of Power
I'd have to go with Locke too.

For some reason whenever i think of a thief Mat Cauthon from WoT come to mind. I know he isn't a theif
I don't think he's stolen anything except that damned dagger wich probably thaught him a very good lesson

João Ribeiro

Journeyed there and back again
Does Paolini count from thieving me out of some money?

Bierschneeman

Journeyed there and back again
Does Prometheus Count..?
I mean he stole FIRE... From the Gods
Thats probably the greatest caper accomplished in all of literature