The Blinding Knife - whole book - SPOILER thread

Derk of Derkholm

Journeyed there and back again
Hello,

this is the thread where to post ONCE YOU HAVE READ THE WHOLE BOOK!!!!

Otherwise, THE SPOILERS WILL SPOIL YOU.

OK, there you are, open the discussion :)

Best regards
Andy

Frizzo0133

Is a wondrous friend of modest Kruppe
Politics aside.

By far Weeks' best book and by a long shot.

We get the resolution to the Dazen/Gavin storyline, which surprised me a ton that it was dealt with so early, I believe it's scheduled to be 5 books if I remember correctly.

Kip's storyline as a whole was incredible. His growth as a character was simply remarkable writing, once he got into the Black Guard training program and he actually started interacting with all of the characters was a ton of fun. His storyline with his grandfather was intense, I know there's a complaint about the treatment of the female characters was abhorrent, which it was, but storyline wise it made sense that ol Grandad would put his friends in jeopardy, female, male, it didn't matter. The card games between the two were intense and it really lent to the story. It should be interesting to see just how the games plays out and what they mean to the series as we get more and more into the cards involved.

The battle scenes were superb, it was fast and furious every time a character gets into the action, which has always been a strength of Weeks'. The last quarter of the book or so as the rebellion was conducted and the Prince of Color's campaign progressed was plain and simply where the book really picked up the pace of the book. There was a constant sense of foreboding, either side could win as it goes forward, nothing is for sure. I love this type of writing, I'm pretty sure that the good guys, i.e. Kip/Gavin's side will win, but I wouldn't be surprised to see the Prince of Colors and the Wights come out on top of the revolution and affect change as the system in the books as it is completely messed up.

I know there will be a few complaint's about Gavin/Dazen's plot thread in this one, particularly the murder that occurs and politicking, but Weeks totally pulls a Jordan and really pulls off the loveable rouge off, as he has been through the series. He gets low toward the end of the book, and justifiably so. Gavin/Dazen was awesome in the book, but this one really felt like Kip's book. Gavin is around and doing big things, but he's essentially on the perimeter besides the politics.

Teia's storyline also roped me in. She's useless apparently, but then not so much. Her penultimate scene was absolutely mind blowing, we saw earlier what he color is capable of but to see it in practice was just about as disturbing to her as it was to me. There is always looming factor that Andross is threatening her out of the scene to add drama to her story. She disappears part way through the book, but when she comes back it's a ton of fun to get her POV again.

Liv's chapters and seeing things from the other side felt like Weeks started flexing his writing wings, it's easy sympathize with both sides, the system, as I mentioned earlier is completely out of whack, and the Prince of Colors isn't completely out of line in his beliefs despite him not being all that great of a person.

Now to get to the last couple of chapters... WOW! I didn't see allot of what went down coming. If you need more read my spoilerific review you know that I was surprised by the end of the book and can't wait for the next book to come out.

Laurentius

Super Moderator
Staff member
I dont have time to write everything down now. Eating breakfast and going to work in 10 mins.

Here's a preview of mythoughts:

What's so special about black and white luxin?

Why did he end off Gavin when he did. He build it up for 2 books. I was very unsatisfied by the way he chose to "end" that storyline. It was unnecessary to have it in either books.

Why is Gavin/Dazen not using Teia's color? He's a full spectrum polychrome AND the Prism to boot. Why whywhy? It turns outit crazy useful!!!

And the last thing I cantemember. Magic cards???????? Seriously. Magic cards... That does not compute. I was thoroughly disappointed by this. It's not justMagic cards though,it's also magic Magic cards.

Got lots ofquestions for thebook, but I think this is my biggestbeefs with the book. Will write therest when imoff.

Danica

Queen of the boards!
Staff member
Um i dont know but the knife seems to give and take away the ability to be a drafter. I guess that's why Gavin is still alive but not a drafter. Btw i hated it ending like that :(

KIP was the bomb! Weeks' nailed it! His growth, his understanding, his adult decisions, made sense and was written extremely well. The last book i felt Kip was handed a bit awkwardly, like Weeks knew kip was great but his greatness didn't really belong in the first book.

Teia is very cool, she is a sweet character, great for Kip to interact with and a powerful will of her own. Her scene was awesome too! She kicked arse and took names.

Liv was pissing me off. I started skimming her chapters. I was sick of her being like everyone thinks im awesome, oh wait i am? NOT She was annoying me!

Ironfist is a CHAMP! I think he is my fav character. Weeks did everything right with him. Ending with him getting his faith back and sobbing was really beautiful! Cruxer .... also a champ! Loved his scenes, seemed like a really decent bloke!

The Gavin/Dazen storyline ending was superb! It couldn't have gone better in my opinion. I felt bad he was stuck in the dungeon and he felt so close (i was really excited for the confrontation) but then he was mean and i admired Gavin finally getting the balls to kill the evil brother.

I didnt really get the magic card chapters but i'll figure it'll make sense later. I really liked the games between Kip and Grandfather Guile. It was a very good way to get the characters to develop.

I was really sad when Janis died.

Grandpapa Guile is a red wright! :O

I have a massive problem with the way things aren't finished. What was the deal with Ria? Rea? The girl who gave Kip help and sent him to Janis. Who killed the girl in the trial? What happened tot he White after she drafted? Did Dazen and his prisons have anything to do with Gavin losing his colours? What else did the Seer tell Karris?

And yea, this is Weeks' best book by far!

Frizzo0133

What's so special about black and white luxin?
Did they mention what the properties of the two luxins' are in the Black Prism? I recall that everyone assumes that they're nearly impossible to produce and Gavin was the first to do so in forever.

Why did he end off Gavin when he did. He build it up for 2 books. I was very unsatisfied by the way he chose to "end" that storyline. It was unnecessary to have it in either books.
Dazen was in a very low place and really did have the intention of releasing him assuming he would be doing a better job than him. When he started talking to him and realized just how bat shit crazy he was and how bad off the world would be if he really got loose and started running wild he finally got the guts to do what he should have done in the first place. I thought it was a huge turning point in the book for Dazen as a character.

Why is Gavin/Dazen not using Teia's color? He's a full spectrum polychrome AND the Prism to boot. Why whywhy? It turns outit crazy useful!!!
I'm assuming that they both can and it'll be a plot point going forward.

And the last thing I cantemember. Magic cards???????? Seriously. Magic cards... That does not compute. I was thoroughly disappointed by this. It's not justMagic cards though,it's also magic Magic cards.
Well the fact that Kip can see the memories of important political figures through his cards is probably going to become a huge thing. He learned his Grandfather was a Wight through the cards, so there is that, although that isn't quite true any more.

Ironfist is a CHAMP! I think he is my fav character. Weeks did everything right with him. Ending with him getting his faith back and sobbing was really beautiful! Cruxer .... also a champ! Loved his scenes, seemed like a really decent bloke!
Yeah, Ironfist's storyline was incredibly well handled, with Gavin/Dazen in lockup I'm assuming that characters like Ironfist and Cruxer might become POV characters.

I was really sad when Janis died.
She was a really well done as a side character and was one of the more entertaining characters in the book, I kinda figured she get offed, but it was still a hit when it happened.

I have a massive problem with the way things aren't finished. What was the deal with Ria? Rea? The girl who gave Kip help and sent him to Janis. Who killed the girl in the trial? What happened tot he White after she drafted? Did Dazen and his prisons have anything to do with Gavin losing his colours? What else did the Seer tell Karris?
All things I can't wait to see in the next books, lol! The only thing I can kind of answer is that it was the Blinding Knife is what took Gavin's colors, although I'm also assuming he still has the ability to draft Black, White, and non-specturm colors like Teia's.

Laurentius

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ok, I've got the time and here's my thoughts on The Blinding Knife, aswell as the Lightbringer series as a whole so far.

The Blinding Knife was a really really good book. I would dare to claim it's his best book yet. And the Lightbringer series as a whole is a lot more complex and exciting than his Night Angel trilogy. If I have to put my finger on one thing, it would be the magic system. Luxin is awesome. I like magic being tied to the physical world (mostly) through Luxin and being bound by some physical laws aswell.

The Blinding Knife picks up the story from The Black Prism fast. I dislike having to read one, two or even three chapters telling what happened in the previous book. I absolutely love Gavin and hope to all things Brent Weeks that he will continue to play a large role in the last two books.
Kip developed a lot throughout this book. I liked some parts of his story a whole bunch, but I'm not into the scenes with him pitying himself unto death. He has a lot of bagage, emotional and physical which he has to shed to become the man we've seen glimpses of so far. It cannot come fast enough. Kip can be awesome!

Teia was sometimes a great character, and sometimes the most annoying part of the story. She went from awesome and badass, with a very rare magic which is extremely useful, to a whimpering girl ready to perform any task set by her master. I get she was a slave, but I disliked how much obediance there was the instant she met her first master, aswell as when she realised Kip had won her.

His classmates in Black guard Training I found to be great characters. The good aswell as the bad. I enjoyed reading about it alot.

I liked most of everything we learned as the universe expanded, the magic aswell as the characters. We have the setup for a very good fantasy series!

That's it for my likes about the book. Here's my questions, not only for this book, but also some for the series as a whole.

Missing things in The Blinding Knife or questions I'd like answers to:

1: Where's all the Mirror Knights at? They were used in The Black Prism to combat magic wielders. They are effective to some degree. Why are noone using it to battle against the color wights. It seems to me they would be extremely usefull against an army of color whigts!

2: What is black and white Luxin and what are the properties of both. I assume the Knife/Sword is made of black/white Luxin and infused with some sort of magic which we know nothing about yet. I want to know more about it!

3: What does Kip learn from the Black Deck stolen from his grandfather? It's mentioned in the alst parts of the book that he spends a night in a cabin pouring over the cards. Why isnt it mentioned what he learns? All those "visions" was important earlier.

4: Liv Danavis: Changed a lot during The Blinding Knife. I don't really care what happens to her anymore. She should either go good or bad. Her story is insignificant to me and I would much rather read about the other characters, especially Commander Ironfist!

5: Gavin kills Ana by throwing her over the balcony. It seemed very out of character to me. Furthermore, the Blackguards outside his room lied to get him off the hook. Out of character too.

6: Which other "luxins"/wavelengths haven't we heard about and how can they be used?

7: Can Teia split normal light? I can't recall her using any kind of glasses. If so, shouldnt she be able to do more than just that one Luxin?

8: What's up with those invisi-capes Kip gets his hand on? New magic. Tell me more please!

9: What function did the original Gavin serve in the dungeon? i found his storyline to be redundant. If anything, I kept hoping for him to escape and join the Color Prince. Maybe take the color princes place and restart the War of the false Prism. It could have easily have been left out and I would have enjoyed the story just as much. I was a bit disappointed Gavin/Dazen ended up dying so soon.

10: As a colorblind Prism, can Gavin learn how to use black and white Luxin? Brent Weeks, please make it a yes!

11: Which other Color Wights from the false Prism war are still alive? We find out in the end, that the partner of Purple Bear is kept prisoner and still alive.

12: About the knife/sword. Below is my speculation regarding this.

It seems obvious that the Knife can take away the colors of a Prism. It also seems like it can "drain" color(s) from other drafters, like Kips grandfather, who reverts from a colorwight to a man with 10 years of drafting left!

I think it's in book one Gavin talks to his father about the knife and some kind of ritual it was used in, in the originals Gavin youth. I specualte that this ritual may have been how the powers of a Prism has been transferred from one Prism to the next Prism for so very many generations. The Council chose one Prism who gets a 7 year period to be the most powerful man in the world. At his 6th year, he will be "stabbed" with the Knife, which will begin to steal the colors the Prism can draft. Once all colors have been drained, the Knife becomes a Sword, which can be used to transfer the power of a Prism to the next one chosen by the council.

Before our story beguns, we learn that the original Gavin left the Knife with Kips mother. Noone knows she has it and it's presumably lost. Therefore Gavin (our Gavin) is the only Prism to rule for 2 periods without losing his colors, and starting his third 7-year period!

There's a lot of holes in above, but that's what I think so far, based on what we know of the knife. I have yet to think of a good reason as to why and how our Gavin learned to split normal light. I have so far assumed it was because the 2 brothers are so much alike that when original Gavin recieved the blessing of splitting normal light, Good guy Gavin recied it aswell. I don't know. There's a lot I want to know more about as it stands.

13: Why does the Knife take away all of Gavins drafting abilitis, but only drain some from Guile?
a: It takes all color from a Prism
b: It drains a color whight back to a normal drafter
c: Something else altogether. What does it do to a normal drafter? Kill him/her?

14: Has the intention with which to use the knife anything to do with how it acts upon it's foes? It is a strange new magic and we know next to nothing about it.

15: Zynum is Kips brother. It was pretty obvious. Why introduce Zymun as the new badguy when you had the most epic lunatic badguy ready in original Gavin Guile, the Blue Beast?

16: What's up with the large sea-monster in chapter one. Noone knows what it is and we dont hear more of it. Extremely bad timing for it to come up now. Is it important to the story or just to lend some anticipation to the story?

17: We keep hearing stories about Sevastian, Gavins younger brother and supposedly a very nice person. Will he show up as a color wight in the later books?

18: We learn more can be done with Luxin than just casting it. There's also some "real" magic in this world. How does it work?

19: Gavin "dies" in the end, but is fished up by the master canoneer (can't remember his name), one of Dazens old friends. Will Gavin be dead from this point on and will he emerge as Dazen again? This could possibly serve to get past the dire prophecies seen by the seeress, wife of Corvan Danavis!

20: There's around 1500 Blackguards + trainees, so why does Commander Ironfist and everyone else believe it will take 10 years to replace the 50 dead Blackguards in book two? I mean, it sounds as if atleast 10-20 students is pushed onward every year (as I read it, they take in 7 trinees every 3 or 6 months = 10-20 a year) to the next semester. 10-20 should be trained blackguards every year aswell then, even if we assume some die/drop out of Blackguard training.

21: Who was this lady cardmaker, what could her magic do and how does it work?

22: Above cardmaker says she knows who the Lightbringer is. Who is it?

23: The Lightbringer will invent a lot of new magic. So far it sounds like Gavin to me. But is it Kip, Zymun or even the Color Prince?

24: the magic cards. I found it unbelievable. Even in a fantasy story. I like magic cards. I played with em when I was younger. It was great fun. But I find it totally unbelievable in a book.

That's what I wrote down about the book. Overall it was great, but it left me with a lot of questions. Some will be answered in the coming books, but I wish a few more where answered in this book.

I hope Gavin will become the Lightbringer. He's already capable of creating white Luxin. If he can master the drafting of black and white Luxin and learn their properties, he can be awesome once again. With Gavin as a galley slave, I expect to see him emerge at the end of book 3 as Dazen (once again), uber buff due to all the rowing, and more ready than ever to come and save the world.

I hope that Kip will move on to become the next Prism, with Gavin/Dazen as the new White.

If we compare Night Angel trilogy with the Lightbringer series, the parallels are very easy to see. Gavin = Durzo (before he lost all hope), Kip = Kylar. And so on.
The Lightbringer series is in my opinion a better series already and the characters are more vivid, but overall, there's the same set of characters in his story. I can see the story unfold in the same way, with Gavin/Dazen showing up in the end saving Kip, the way Durzo did for Kylar.

None the less, if you for some reason haven't read these books, but took the time to read this wall of text, I urge you to go read this book. It really is very good. Better than the Night Angel trilogy and it is a good story with a lot of promise!

If you have read the books and read this whole post, then comment. I really want to talk about some of the questions above concerning the book, but also the series!

Danica

Queen of the boards!
Staff member
Yea I think the magic system is far more awesome, but I think Weeks has created a far more interesting world than the one from the Night Angel books. While I find his political story lines leaving a lot to be desired I think he did much better with that in this book too.

Kip was much better in this book. I guess our comments are all much the same. If we just were introduced to Kip in this book his development is sound and makes sense. Seeing as we have had helpless and hopeless Kip for one and a half books now, I can see how that would get annoying for some. I still think his moments of uncertainty passed but I agree, there was a fair amount of self-pity and uncertainty. I do feel we know how Kip reacts to feeling self pity though, he feels all scared then is all I WILL DO THIS TO PROVE EVERYONE WRONG AND MAKE IORNFIST AND GAVIN PROUD! ROOOOAR. We know that is how it will end, so I guess we didn’t need to see so many little trials. It didn’t bother me so much but I can see how it would bother others.

I have so much hope for Gavin. I get that he is colour blind and like you all I hope he has a big part to play in the coming books. I loved your comment about him becoming uber buff lol, it sounds like something I would say.

It has been a very long time since I have read the Night angel trilogy and so I didn’t see the parallels. My thought on that is that I don’t mind so much as along as he gets better at it. I think his niche is the fast paced action novel and that kind of storyline works well. As you have mentioned though, different magic system, new world and if he can keep creating different and better settings and characters I’ll keep reading his stuff.

Danica

Queen of the boards!
Staff member
1: Where's all the Mirror Knights at? They were used in The Black Prism to combat magic wielders. They are effective to some degree. Why are noone using it to battle against the color wights. It seems to me they would be extremely usefull against an army of color whigts!
I think the Chromeria (sp?) are arrogant in that they have drafts and epic fighter (blackguard). I think maybe the mirror men where to counter both the drafters and the blackguard.

2: What is black and white Luxin and what are the properties of both. I assume the Knife/Sword is made of black/white Luxin and infused with some sort of magic which we know nothing about yet. I want to know more about it!
I have no clue, not just that but no theories either. But that's part of how I read a swell. I don't try to guess. Means I can be surprised at the end.

3: What does Kip learn from the Black Deck stolen from his grandfather? It's mentioned in the last parts of the book that he spends a night in a cabin pouring over the cards. Why isnt it mentioned what he learns? All those "visions" was important earlier.
+1 I want to know too. I think i'll go back and read the last little bit again to see if I can gleam more information. this answer goes for all the other luxin questions too. so i'll delete those comments to condense the post. SOMEONE ANSWER THIS PLEASE

4: Liv Danavis: Changed a lot during The Blinding Knife. I don't really care what happens to her anymore. She should either go good or bad. Her story is insignificant to me and I would much rather read about the other characters, especially Commander Ironfist!
+ 1 million.

5: Gavin kills Ana by throwing her over the balcony. It seemed very out of character to me. Furthermore, the Blackguards outside his room lied to get him off the hook. Out of character too.
I didn't think it was out of character. I mean I know he doesn't go throwing people of roofs all the time. I think it had a lot to do with Karris, and him being all like NOOOOOOO /chucks her off the roof.

9: What function did the original Gavin serve in the dungeon? i found his storyline to be redundant. If anything, I kept hoping for him to escape and join the Color Prince. Maybe take the color princes place and restart the War of the false Prism. It could have easily have been left out and I would have enjoyed the story just as much. I was a bit disappointed Gavin/Dazen ended up dying so soon.
See I feel very different to you. I loved the mini suspense storyline. I was anxious the whole book about all the trouble he was going to wreck once he got out. I think when Gavin killed him there was so much crazy going on in his world there was enough for me to anxious about with adding Dazen to the mix. I felt that it was both and appropriate way to end the storyline and an appropriate time also.

12: About the knife/sword.
This is so infuriating! we know its intensely magical and shouldn't do in the wrong hands but we don't quiet know what it does! It's cruel Mister Weeks, just cruel!

15: Zynum is Kips brother. It was pretty obvious. Why introduce Zymun as the new badguy when you had the most epic lunatic badguy ready in original Gavin Guile, the Blue Beast?
Not to me! I understand your point, and because we aren't reading about the war, it would still be interesting for us to read the second one. I feel though, that it is time for second generation to some forward, under the influence of the old (Prisim War antagonists). I find Zymun to be more annoying then badass. I know he is all epic and can cast all this things but he just seems like a douche. I think if you need a badguy, make him a BAD guy/misguided/intelligent to the point of crazy or something not just arrogant and stupid.

16: What's up with the large sea-monster in chapter one. Noone knows what it is and we dont hear more of it. Extremely bad timing for it to come up now. Is it important to the story or just to lend some anticipation to the story?
huh?

17: We keep hearing stories about Sevastian, Gavins younger brother and supposedly a very nice person. Will he show up as a color wight in the later books?
Yea that was definitely something that was missing. It was in the book too much to just be a dot point but not fleshed out enough to us to have a real understanding. If Seb influenced Gavin that much wouldn't he have seen the difference between his older and younger brother and not admired the older one so much? It seems very simplistic and unrealistic for him to live in such a fantasy land. It doesn't really explain much at all! now you have got me thinking about its making me angry. I can't see why it's there. If it's there because Gavin needs to hate wrights, it still leaves us questions Seb anyway. So that wasn't effective at all.

18: We learn more can be done with Luxin than just casting it. There's also some "real" magic in this world. How does it work?
huh?

19: Gavin "dies" in the end, but is fished up by the master canoneer (can't remember his name), one of Dazens old friends. Will Gavin be dead from this point on and will he emerge as Dazen again? This could possibly serve to get past the dire prophecies seen by the seeress, wife of Corvan Danavis!
fingers crossed! and yea, don't like that whole seer, wife of Corvan, better have a plan for them in the next books, else I be annoyed. You don't get to marry for connivence and then be sickly in love in rl or books.

20: There's around 1500 Blackguards + trainees, so why does Commander Ironfist and everyone else believe it will take 10 years to replace the 50 dead Blackguards in book two? I mean, it sounds as if atleast 10-20 students is pushed onward every year (as I read it, they take in 7 trinees every 3 or 6 months = 10-20 a year) to the next semester. 10-20 should be trained blackguards every year aswell then, even if we assume some die/drop out of Blackguard training.
where did you get that number from? I hadn't noticed that and to be honest just believed Iornfist, If you hadn't noticed. He is an upstanding kinda dude.

22: Above cardmaker says she knows who the Lightbringer is. Who is it?
She could only paint truth. I think she was also the maker of the cards that you draft onto/into/at? but as for how she does it, no idea. Lightbringer? i'm going to try and not think about it in order to be surprised.

Frizzo0133

I wondered that myself, I'm assuming this was more Grandpops messing things up for the Chromeria/Dazen's forces, I thought it was pretty obvious that he was in collusion with the Prince of Colors forces, being a wight himself it makes sense.

It is made from both. As far as I recall we don't have any information on what the properties of both are. With Dazen color blind I'm assuming we'll see something significant next book concerning them.

3: What does Kip learn from the Black Deck stolen from his grandfather? It's mentioned in the alst parts of the book that he spends a night in a cabin pouring over the cards. Why isnt it mentioned what he learns? All those "visions" was important earlier.
I'm assuming that the visions we saw throughout the book were what Kip was seeing in the cabin. We know he knew that Grandpa was a wight because of the cards, I think the deck he got is going to be a big time plot item in the future.

I didn't particularly care for Liz, but what we learned during her chapters drew me in. Seeing the conflict from the other side always grabs my attention. The rebels aren't particularly out of line in their wants and beliefs.

I'm with everyone though, we need some Ironfist POV chapters.

This was pretty much the weakest part of the novel to me, it seemed out of place to me as well, but it did lead to the big resolution, which I thought was one of the strongest moments in the book. So I look at it as taking the bad with the good.

6: Which other "luxins"/wavelengths haven't we heard about and how can they be used?
Like I said earlier, with Dazen being color blind I think we'll see some development in this front in the next book along with the Black/White Luxins.

7: Can Teia split normal light? I can't recall her using any kind of glasses. If so, shouldnt she be able to do more than just that one Luxin?
That's what I assumed as well as it's not part of the spectrum so she didn't need glasses to filter the light spectrum. Hopefully we'll get a whole lot more exploration into what else is out there in the next books.

8: What's up with those invisi-capes Kip gets his hand on? New magic. Tell me more please!
It sounds like it's a different take on using the spectrum in ways the Chromeria doesn't, light bending some how.
13: Why does the Knife take away all of Gavins drafting abilitis, but only drain some from Guile?
a: It takes all color from a Prism
b: It drains a color whight back to a normal drafter
c: Something else altogether. What does it do to a normal drafter? Kill him/her?
a: We know this is the case out of the end of the book.
b: See above.
c: Can't wait to find out! What if it takes drafting ability away all together from non-wight drafters, a very dangerous weapon if that is the case?

14: Has the intention with which to use the knife anything to do with how it acts upon it's foes? It is a strange new magic and we know next to nothing about it.
I'm assuming it's the combination of Black/White Luxin, but there might be more magic involved as we learned there's more than than just Luxin out there.

I don't recall there being 1500 Blackguards, I thought it was a couple of hundred.

I doubt we'll ever really know exactly who she was, but her magic looked to capture events as they happen and trap them in the cards.

That's what I've got for the moment, keep it all coming, love the discussion!

Laurentius

Super Moderator
Staff member
It has been a very long time since I have read the Night angel trilogy and so I didn’t see the parallels.
Gavin = Durzo (at the hight of Durzos power and while he still did good).
Kip = Kylar (Young poor boy who has to learn the art of combat and later to master magic)
Cruxor = Logan Gyre, Kylars best friend. Both come from rich/well known families and are honorable to a fault.
Karris = Durzo Blints love
Teia = Elena/Viridiana
Liv = Elena/Viridiana
Color Prince = Bad Guy, can't remember his name.

I might just be grasping at straws, but the abovementioned seem to be almost identical characters, with a few minor fixes/changes.

I got the figure of 1500 Blackguards from the last test they had to complete. I think it says there's 1500 people on the ledges and most, if not all are Blackguards. If this is not the case and there's only ~200 Blackguards, I cannot how it can take 10 years to replace the 50 dead.

Frizzo0133

I'm assuming we'll see more of how the elimination process to become a Black Guard proper, but I got the impression that the reason the trainees we forced into combat towards the end of the book was because of how decimated they were from the battle in the Black Prism.

I'm assuming if there are 1500 people in training that the final elimination process is very strict. Again, I'm assuming we'll see more as Kip gets further into training.

SQLGuy

Possibly a Darkfriend
Good points here, and I really enjoyed this book. A lot of interesting characters - Andross, in particular, kept me guessing throughout.

I agree with what a couple of other people have said about the white and black luxin. Throughout, Gavin/Dazen's only been able to draft the colors that he can see (or vice versa)... now that he can only see B&W, maybe that's what he can draft.

One other point I didn't see mentioned: when Liv aims the mirror from the pyramid, she thinks something about how she's bringing the light. Maybe she is the light bringer?

Interesting parallels also between the two older and the two younger Guile brothers - both polychromes, one good one bad, both interested in the same girl (Karris or Liv). Wonder why Zymun goes by White Oak instead of Guile... also wonder who Kip's mother really was - don't think she was just some village tramp.

Danica

Queen of the boards!
Staff member
Liv aims the mirror from the pyramid, she thinks something about how she's bringing the light. Maybe she is the light bringer?
refresh my memory? what was this??

Kip's mother really was - don't think she was just some village tramp.
haha nor do i.

great to see you posting in the book club!! its a great way to have an in depth discussion on a book n go spoiler crazy :)

SQLGuy

Possibly a Darkfriend
refresh my memory? what was this??
Towards the end, when the Color Prince's army was attacking Ru, Liv snuck into the city with a small team (9 total). They had paid off the leaders of the city's mercenaries to help them take the great pyramid that also seemed to have some of the town's leadership at the top. Besides the leadership at the top, there was also a giant mirror that was controlled by superviolet. Liv directed the mirror at the green bane when it rose and either it already was green tinted, or she did something to make it green. There were other magical properties about the mirror as well, because she was thinking about how the beam from the mirror was so intense you could see it in the air even in daylight.

The last thing in that chapter is Liv thinking back to the conversation she had with the Color Prince the evening before. He had asked her if she knew what Atirat (the green god to be born from the bane) needed. She guessed "sacrifices" and he said, "Light. Every god is birthed in light." 'And, weeping, light she brought.'

Atirat (at least this incarnation of her/him) didn't last long, but there are supposed to be other banes rising frequently now that the Prism no longer controls any colors. Maybe she will be similarly involved with other ones... or maybe she'll help birth a better god somewhere down the road. Green drafters make green wights, and are candidates for green godhood... reds for red (which is or was Andross' goal)... what happens if you similarly invest a polychrome?

Regardless, it does look like Liv has an important part to play in future books.

Danica

Queen of the boards!
Staff member
ah yes yes! i remember. she was the daughter of the prism's general friend! She annoyed me. All young and idealistic. how'd you find her character?

SQLGuy

Possibly a Darkfriend
ah yes yes! i remember. she was the daughter of the prism's general friend! She annoyed me. All young and idealistic. how'd you find her character?
I found her to be about the least developed main character in this book. But Zymun, who spent a lot of time with her, was about as annoying, if not worse. Zymun and Liv together reminded me a lot of Zane and Vin in Mistborn. Liv is supposed to be about 17, though, so she may just be typifying teenager insecurity and growing up problems. Hopefully both of these characters will get more interesting as they get older... I doubt we would have seen so much of Liv if there wasn't some importance to her character; and we now know that Zymun's kind of important - about him, at least, there seems to be a lot to know that we haven't seen yet.

Sandman

Has been in the eye of the world
The lightbringer is a good series. I have enjoyed all of Weeks books so far even the Night Angel trilogy which has drawn some bad revies for more than a few. There are so many questions posted above and I have my share of them as well. There was so much going on in the Lightbringer series that I will have to reread both books before the 3rd comes out just to refresh my memory.

Sandman

Has been in the eye of the world
Magic cards???????? Seriously. Magic cards... That does not compute
Yeah, magic cards. Tons of people have them and use them all the time. There are even tournaments around the world where people gather to compete with their magic cards. :wacky: (I apologize. I couldn't stop myself)

SQLGuy

Possibly a Darkfriend
ahh yea doesn't he call Kip brother??
Yes. That was a revelation at the very end of the book. He's (probably) Kip's half-brother. I say probably because Karris is apparently his mother (having born a child was not something I remember her ever telling anyone about) and, since she seems to have kept him a secret, and she seems to have slept with both Gavin and Dazen, either one could be his father. So it's also possible they're cousins. That would be a good ironic twist, I guess.