The Blinding Knife - whole book - SPOILER thread

Danica

Queen of the boards!
Staff member
she seems to have slept with both Gavin and Dazen, either one could be his father. So it's also possible they're cousins. That would be a good ironic twist, I guess.
haha half-brother or cousin ... ahahah that sounds soooo messed up!!!

if i remember correctly she slept with Dazen, and he was all mean to her so he is probs the product of that .... relation. but then again doesnt it insinuate at some point that Gavin probs isn't even Kip's dad anyway?? it may just be one of Dazen's bastards

ahh the plot thickens.

Aikura

Became a Faceless Man
Okay, I’m going to have a go at this. The ‘whole book’ approach will make this post read more like a review than a book club, but I’m hoping to join one of the actual book club threads in the future and I’ll consider this practice. :bookworm:

First, a couple of thoughts on the series so far compared to Weeks’ last one. I devoured the Night Angel trilogy but, while it was definitely a page-turner and hard to put down, it ticked off most of my fantasy ‘pet hates’ and I find it hard to really recommend as ‘good’. Shallow and annoying characters; a whiny, angst-ridden protagonist for whom it was hard to feel anything but contempt; cheesy, over-the-top action with magical deus ex machina flying every which way; and ridiculous plot threads, particularly in the last book, which had little or no foundation in the earlier books. Still, I enjoyed it just enough to give Weeks’ next series a go.

The Black Prism and The Blinding Knife represent a complete maturation of Weeks’ writing ability. The page-turning style and over-the-top action of his previous works are still present, but are now complemented by strong, sympathetic characters with relationships that feel more natural and less forced, fuller and more thought-out world-building, a greyer moral compass and a tightly defined, rules-based magic system with clear limitations. So far, it really is a fantastic series.

Now to The Blinding Knife and its main character arcs:

Gavin and Karris – Although Kip played a more prominent role, Gavin was still the star for me and his whole arc was satisfying. The development of Gavin and Karris’ relationship was one of my favourite parts; a book and a half of rollercoastering tension made for a far more convincing romance that what Weeks attempted in Night Angels. Even more, I enjoyed the surprising resolution of the Gavin/Dazen story. Others here have voiced their disagreement, saying that it contributed nothing to the overarching plot, and I can understand that perspective. However I think that, as well as being one of the most interesting sub-plots in its own right, finally killing Dazen was a major character point for Gavin. I think it will continue to have an impact on him. I’m 50/50 on Gavin throwing that girl off the balcony, but everything else, politicking etc, his arc was great. The conclusion with him becoming a colour-blind galley slave is excellent, and positions him to learn to rely on his strength and wit alone to escape, and perhaps eventually unravel black/white drafting.

Kip – Kip was one of the weaker characters in The Black Prism. He wasn’t written badly, but for me it harkened back a bit too much to the whiny, angsty teenagers of Night Angels. He is far more sympathetic and enjoyable in this book though, and his training with the Black Guards and his relationship with Ironfist are great. A lot of people have said they felt The Blinding Knife was more Kip’s story, but I feel he has not crested his arc yet and may not until book four. He has a long way yet to develop, demystify his past, and come to terms with everything. I think book three will be his purification by fire, and in book four he will become The Hero. One part of his story that annoyed me was when he actually considered taking advantage of Teia after coming to ‘own’ her. I wanted to say “Dude…that would be rape.” It seemed out of character.

Liv – I think Weeks struggles with writing convincing female characters, but he is getting there with Karris, and Liv is not too far behind. I mostly enjoyed Liv in this book, and it is mainly through her that we get both a sympathetic view of the revolution, and an unflinching view of the crimes of its leaders. We come to condemn the methods, but perhaps not the cause. I think she yet has a major role to play, and a lot of development ahead.

Conclusion: I loved this book. The ridiculous action at which Weeks excels finally has a strong cast of characters to execute it, and a convincing setting to tie it together. I’m loathe to make predictions as to what might happen in the next two books; I don’t know how well Weeks has plotted it and he could just as well be making up large chunks of it as he goes along. But I’ll definitely be following it through to the end, and I’m looking forward to The Broken Eye (hopefully) next year.

Aikura

Became a Faceless Man
Oh, and also, I forgot to mention that Andros Guile is the motherfucking Tywin Lannister of this world. Awesome. :D

Hand of Fear

Journeyed there and back again
I haven't read the whole book yet but I wanted to post about how much I'm enjoying this book definitely his best work yet, and I'm going through this book pretty quickly because it's so easy to read.

Without a doubt Kip for me is the star of the show, he is so well written in that you can really believe the way he acts and what he is going through.

Most people in their life's know what it's like to be left out or different, being a victim or a loner and I think because of this that it really hits home for me and it's going to be great to read how kip overcomes this.

He isn't someone who can turn his hand to anything and you can see how much he is struggling.

Andros Guile to he is really getting my hate level up (leave Kip alone you old fart).

Did anyone else relish the idea of a 'fat' main character/hero/chosen one? It is so unusual that I kept forgetting it by Weeks was relentless in pounding it in. I found it a really good way to not only differentiate the series from more standard 'coming of age' (Al la Night Angel) but also a way to make Kip far more interesting (and give him another journey to take, his own personal maturity). Was I the only one who liked this?

TCSimpson

Might as well be a Malazan regular
I chuckled every time he referred to his fatness. I kept the image in my head of a fat kid with a grease-stained shirt, licking his chalky lips for the next meal, gaze following food whenever he saw it. Who would get his ass kicked and then I would laugh some more.