The book you don't like that most everyone else seems to like ...

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by TomTB, Apr 26, 2015.

1. TomTB

TomTB The Master Tweeter Staff Member

Do you have one of these?

Just read the post from @ofer saying he'd finished the Broken Empire trilogy. Nearly everyone on here and on other forums enjoyed these books, but I'd put it towards the bottom end of fantasy series I've read so far, if I were to rank them.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Sneaky Burrito

Sneaky Burrito Crazy Cat Lady Staff Member

Anything by China Mieville.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  3. ofer

ofer Journeyed there and back again

Hmm, I wouldn't go as far as to say I didn't like The Broken Empire, but from the opinions I read about this series I probably liked it less than others.

Anyway, here are some books that most people seem to like but I didn't. Apologies in advance if I'm trashing someone's favorite books:

1. The Darkness that Comes Before by R. Scott Bakker. It was a struggle to finish this book and yet so many people seem to love it.
    2. Elric of Melnibone by Michael Moorcock - I know it's supposed to be a fantasy classic but I guess it wasn't for me.
    3. The Warded Man by Peter Brett - The author comes off as a really nice guy from his interview with Wakarimasen but when I read the book it was sort of meh - and that was supposed to be the one that everyone liked.
    4. Tawny Man Trilogy by Robin Hobb - this one hurt because I really liked both her previous trilogies, Farseer and Liveships, but reading Tawny was sort of tedious - too long a series for the amount of actual plot there was there. It sort of put me off from trying her new Fitz book. Maybe I'll get over it and try it sometime.

And now it's tome to run for cover. ;)

4. TomTB

Sorry @ofer I was trying to convey that I didn't like it, after yet another poster (you) came on to say that they did.

5. ofer

ofer Journeyed there and back again

That's cool, nothing to be sorry about. You didn't misunderstand me - What I meant is that I liked the Broken Empire, but I didn't like it like it (hope it makes more sense to you than it is to me - it's the difference between mostly liking something and really liking it).

6. TomTB

Ah ok .. I see you have the same ranking system as me. Don't like, ok, like, really like, really fecking (context joke!) like!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Sir Arthur

Sir Arthur Journeyed there and back again

Mistborn. I really didn't like it at at all, and about everything else by Sanderson. Stormlight is passable, but I don't even consider reading anything he puts out these days.

Broken Empire. It was okay. but massively over hyped. I can't figure how people were so blown away with it.

Asimov's Foundation. It was mildly interesting, but slow paced and dated feeling.

8. Sneaky Burrito

Sneaky Burrito Crazy Cat Lady Staff Member

I'm not a huge Sanderson fan, either. I may stick with Stormlight but I'm not feeling the rest of the books he's putting out (most of which I can't even remember the names of). I feel like he writes the same thing over and over again.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. atheling

atheling A Poet of the Khaiem

The Malazan series (just the Erikson ones). Something about his style really drives me up the wall. Been a while since I read his books, so I don't think I remember enough to explain why that is. But lots of folks here seem to love them, so I mostly don't say much (don't wanna ruin it for you if you love it, you know).

10. Griffin

Griffin Journeyed there and back again

Echoes of Empire
    A series with all the aspects one could want (multiple races, cool tech, politics, fights...), but it just didn't work out at all for me. Found it utterly lackluster.

Farseer Trilogy
    This is probably the most obvious one. These books are too slow, characterization is good, but plot just doesn't progress and the certainly the traveling trope in book 3 is boring as hell. I really had to fight my way through the pages.

The Hitchhikers Guide to Galaxy
    The humour didn't connect at all, probably the biggest and only reason I didn't like it.

Long Price Quartet
    This series was refreshing in how things were done, but it just didn't hold my attention.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. Anti_Quated

Anti_Quated Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune

Game of Thrones. I started off enjoying it, but the more it dragged on, the less I enjoyed it, to the point now that the utter market saturation it has gained to me is unwarranted. I don't want to finish the series at all now, and that's quite rare for me as I'll suffer through something mediocre if I've invested sufficient time in it.

Harry Potter. I know it's for a younger demographic, but again, not worthy of the fuss IMO. I actually read half the first book and put it down, determined not to waste my time on such banal rubbish.

The Dragonlance Legends. I read these when I was in primary school, assuming they'd be somewhat LOTR-esque. They were all too LOTR-esque for me, and I felt really cheated because it seemed rather derivative (Tasslehoff Burrfoot the halfling, Caramon the warrior, the half-elven prince Tanis, etc, etc). It wasn't terrible, but I lent it to a few friends who all thought it was the best thing since the Conan cartoons, whilst for me, it just smacked of recycling. And I hate that I've such an early experience of being cynical.

• Like Like x 1
  12. dunebuggy

dunebuggy Knows the real name of Lower Corte

The farseer trilogy..really excited at the beginning,first book was,"okay,I can get into this",second book,going downhill and real fast. Hate the characters,except Nighteyes,the humans riled me up. Fitz,to be blunt came off as a jarhead with magic,led this way and everywhere by other people and whined about it. Hate Burrich,no humour,dullard with his damn leather harness fixing. Regal is a over the top asshole,couldn't even take him seriously. The raiders were interesting but again, seems overdone. Third book..my mental feet had blisters from all that walking,don't want to see the word,campfire for a while. So yep..hate the farseer trilogy.

13. Fatal Rose

Fatal Rose Killed a Balrog

The Riddle Master Of Hed: its regarded as a classic. However it was insanely boring with zero characterization, unrealistic dialogue, and a convoluted/confusing/ chore like plot. Why do people like the so much?

The Fionavar Tapestry: similar t the one listed above but far worse. Stupidly simple and unrealistic characters. Boring prose, zero characterization, and a lame story. How can the characters in this book be ok with being transported to a fantasy magic land? This books dialogue and characters are tragically stupid.

Dragonlance: unreadable. Vomit inducing dialogue and story. This is one of the reasons I hate elves/hobbits/dwarfs and all that other crap.

Dark Elf trilogy: read above.

The Hobbit: this thing was so God awfully boring that I gave up.

14. Laurentius

Laurentius Super Moderator Staff Member

I'm gonna say it, and I know you are gonna hate it:

Tigana

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Alucard

Alucard In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge! Staff Member

I was so bored with this one. Managed to read 2 books of the series, and I quit. Didn't make me laugh at all.

Assassin's Apprentice is and always will be one of my favorite books. But Royal Assassin just dropped the ball so badly it gave me apprehensions about Robin Hobb's books in general.

I don't have any fantasy examples, the closest I have is Gardens of the Moon. I was not impressed, but this book is not loved by almost everyone.
    My closest example would be in sci-fi. It's Neuromancer by William Gibson. I did not care. It was boring, it was confusing, bad writing and horrible cold characters. Not for me.

16. Alucard

Alucard In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge! Staff Member

I think Mieville is one of those writers that has such a polarizing effect. Far be it from everybody loving his stuff. His books are highly controversial, and either love or hate it seems to me. Not the one to provoke moderate feelings at all.

• Like Like x 1
  17. TomTB

Yep, this one for me too - although I can't really comment because I didn't make it past page 100 of the first book - I thought it was completely awful up to that point though.

I find this too often with 'classic sci fi'. It's my main reason for not connecting well with some of the SF classics which I think I'm supposed to like!

18. Boreas

Boreas Journeyed there and back again Staff Member

I don't think China Mieville is universally loved. There are lots of people that don't get on with his work.

One big problem with the Broken Empire trilogy by Mark Lawrence was that it was over hyped. It was a fast read and I did end up enjoying it, but not nearly as much as I thought I would. Lawrence kept my attention for all three books (except for part of the second volume in the swamps), so that's good. My favourite aspect of the books was the world-building.

I somewhat enjoyed reading the first three Wheel of Time books, but I started really disliking the series after that. Despite the slow, middle books, I think they're quite universally loved, but I don't like them, will never even attempt to reread them to finish the story, will never recommend them, and these books (together with Goodkind's) are the reason that I was so turned off the series format and prefer stand-alone, self-contained books.

Is Elantris by Sanderson well loved? I really disliked it.

I couldn't get past 20-30 pages of The Hobbit when I attempted it. It was right after I was done being blown away by Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit was so mind-numbingly boring and simple in comparison. When I reread Tolkien, I will start with The Hobbit and see if I can finish it.

I got bored watching the Harry Potter, so that precludes my ever reading the novels.

19. Haven

Haven Became a Faceless Man

Ouch.

For me it was probably Malazan...It was really great till HoC, after that I just couldn't keep up with the characters.
    It felt too much like History class after a while.

20. TomTB

Get out. Get out now. You're not welcome here!
    (joke!)

• Funny Funny x 1