The book you don't like that most everyone else seems to like ...

wakarimasen

Journeyed there and back again
I'm a terrible critic, or a lucky reader, I find it hard to think of any book which I haven't enjoyed something about. Maybe Catch 22 - but that's not really fantasy (and plenty of folk dislike it). What can I say? I'm just a fountain of universal love and brotherhood. I'll try to hate something soon though.

Boreas

Staff member
fountain of universal love and brotherhood
Read "The Fountainhead" for something to really dislike. As for "Catch-22", one of my favourite books! Irreverent and funny to start out with, bleak and serious by its end. How could you not like characters like Major Major Major Major?

dunebuggy

Knows the real name of Lower Corte
Read "The Fountainhead" for something to really dislike. As for "Catch-22", one of my favourite books! Irreverent and funny to start out with, bleak and serious by its end. How could you not like characters like Major Major Major Major?
URGH! The Fountainhead..agreed. That book, is on my shit list.

wakarimasen

As for "Catch-22", one of my favourite books!
Ah - then perhaps I do qualify for this thread. I heap scorn and vitriol upon the whole sorry lot of them in Catch-22. I found it bleak and serious from the start. Maybe if nobody told me it was supposed to funny I wouldn't have felt so cheated by it.

Boreas

Staff member
Ah - then perhaps I do qualify for this thread. I heap scorn and vitriol upon the whole sorry lot of them in Catch-22. I found it bleak and serious from the start. Maybe if nobody told me it was supposed to funny I wouldn't have felt so cheated by it.
Harsh words! Well, I didn't mean 'haha' funny, more in the 'absurdity and senseless in it all' kind of funny. Yes, if you go in expecting laughs, then you're bound to be let down. I had to read it for school and had no idea what was in store. Ended up being one the highlights of my last year in English Literature. You're right, it is bleak from the start, but the tone in how it's presented is more ridiculous in the beginning and becomes more overtly bleak as the novel progresses. Of those that I've read, it's my favourite anti-war novel together with "For Whom the Bell Tolls" and, to a lesser extent, "The Forever War".

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
Read "The Fountainhead" for something to really dislike.
Or the Terry Goodkind ripoff. I forget the name. But it was awful.

kenubrion

Wow, looks like the flood gates were opened with this thread.

Mine is Tad Williams' Memory Sorrow and Thorn. But right after I finished that boring tale, I read Greg Keyes' marvelous Kingdoms of Thorn and Bone, which was another trilogy but done right.

I don't have many dislikes as I easily stop reading something bad.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
I have to say that I was not blown away by Mistborn: the final empire. I thought the magic was great, and the characters were interesting, but they never really did as much as i wanted them to be. And Vin bugged me quite a bit. Overall, disappointed, and haven't ventured back to Sanderson yet. I hear good things about the other series, but I don't know.

sopranosfan

I'm a terrible critic, or a lucky reader, I find it hard to think of any book which I haven't enjoyed something about. Maybe Catch 22 - but that's not really fantasy (and plenty of folk dislike it). What can I say? I'm just a fountain of universal love and brotherhood. I'll try to hate something soon though.
Me too! I thought I was all by myself. I think we are the lucky ones though. I can only think of one book that I didn't like in the last year, Patternmaster by Octavia Butler, and I didn't hate it.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
For me it's the Wheel of Time. Loved it when I first read the series as a young adult, and even then I had big gripes with the series, for example with the way Jordan handles gender relationships. I re-read the final 3 installments a year ago (when the final book came out) and I hated it.

kenubrion

That one had four books!
Ha, just seeing if anyone was paying attention. No, I thought it was a trilogy but having just read the description of book four, sounds familiar. Oh well, I really liked it and I'll leave it at that. And always worry.

l3gacy

Dr. Awesomesauce
Staff member
As @kenubrion and @Laurentius said before I could....

Tigana was awful right @Danica ?
Memory Sorrow and Thorn I couldn't even finish it was so dull and frustrating.

So, to make sure I don't just repeat others, here's my original contribution to the thread:

Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell.

l3gacy

Dr. Awesomesauce
Staff member
Ok, so I'm reading both of these at the mo! Whilst I wouldn't go as far as to include them in this thread, they are both firmly sitting in the 'ok, verging on quite good' bracket!
Oh yeah, TomTB?

How about you verge on this quite good?