The book you don't like that most everyone else seems to like ...

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by TomTB, Apr 26, 2015.

1. Darwin

Darwin Journeyed there and back again

This is absolutely true. It's a caveat I add whenever I recommend the first law. The whole point to everything in the first two books is only explained in the last 50ish pages of the 3rd book.

2. Alucard

Alucard In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge! Staff Member

[​IMG]

3. Vasher

Vasher Helped Logen count his fingers

Or, ya know, maybe genres aren't hard and fast rules and we should try and accept the way terms are actually being used by the people? Just saying, I mean, genre debates can be fun, but ultimately the word grimdark means what people think it means, and not everyone agrees. Apparently a lot of people argue abercombie isn't grimdark either (just found that out doing some research). I found this thread to be pretty interesting, and Mark Lawrence makes an appearance! Highly recommend checking it out.

http://www.sffworld.com/forum/threads/is-it-grimdark-or-is-it-not.47101/page-2

4. Alucard

Some people argue that the world is flat too. I don't give either much credit lol

5. Vasher

Well, the difference is one is provable lol.

6. Alucard

Not to flat-earthers it isn't. They're a stubborn bunch.

Look I agree that genres aren't hard rules, most writers write borrowing from a lot of them, like Martin, but there are also representatives of the genres. The people who pioneer something and put it on the map.
    Abercrombie is that figure for grimdark. Some people might disagree in one thread on some forum, but the overall consensus from his industry, his colleagues and his readers is that he writes grimdark fantasy. Heck, even his YA was pitched as different kind of YA, basically along the lines of: 'from the grimdark writer comes to you a new YA series, that is completely different from other YA because he Joe writes grimdark'. I imagine they would have the same pitch if Stephen King wrote a YA series. As in they just can't imagine YA material from people who write a lot of violence, brutality or horror.

Anyway...

The fact that some outliers think that the earth is flat and that Abercrombie isn't grimdark, doesn't really muddy the water in either instance in my opinion.

7. Bierschneeman

Bierschneeman Journeyed there and back again

Like Mandela effecters. No amount of reason will show them that they are D and F students in school, didn't pay attention, and just got it wrong.

8. Vasher

The funny thing is, the overall consensus on GRRM seems to be that he's grimdark. Other authors have called him that, readers of his work call him that, marketing calls him that, etc. Him and ambercrombie usually come up side by side in that discussion from what I've seen. And just like ambercrombie, some people on some forum (you) disagree that it's grimdark. I hadn't heard anybody argue that GRRM isn't grimdark until now. Like somebody earlier said, it's literally the third thing on the grimdark list on this very site (http://bestfantasybooks.com/grimdark-fantasy.html). Genres are weird, lol.

9. ExTended

ExTended Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune

I remember the days before Joe Abercrombie. Grimdark wasn't even on the map back then. And G. R. R. Martin was just as famous as he is now among the fantasy books crowd, so this goes to show that he was considered more epic than grimdark for a long, long time.

To be honest I wasn't even aware of grimdark as a thing until Mark Lawrence and Joe Abercrombie came into the stage and made books about raping human beings fashionable. Both of them could be attributed as the modern ambassadors of the sub-genre, with maybe Scott Lynch to a very small degree with his first Gentlemen Bastards book. After that all kind of folk jumped on the writing grimdark bandwagon.

10. Darwin

I think the issue here isn't what ASoIaF is, it's what grimdark is. There's certainly some seriously grimdark moments in ASoIaF, like

I've gotta catch a flight, but I'll expound on this in more detail if anybody cares...so probably not. Grimdark isn't really about realism, it's about cynicism.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Alucard

Well that's a crass remark if I ever saw one.
    It's also misguided and shows the complete misunderstanding of a subgenre.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Bierschneeman

Bierschneeman Journeyed there and back again

Does that rape definition mean piers Anthony is grimdark?

13. Alucard

You've put that so nicely.
    I would honestly love to see you expound on what grimdark is in detail when you have the time.

14. ExTended

Crassness + elitism in two consecutive posts, we rock!

15. Alucard

According to Extended that's what grimdark is, so...

16. Peat

Peat Journeyed there and back again

This thread's galloped on a bit...

Personally I don't think grimdark should be defined as a genre at all, but as a mood that can be applied to any genre. If you're trying to propose it as a genre, and including everything that can rightly be called grimdark, you've got a genre that straddles sci-fi and fantasy, ranges in scope from the world-shaking and saving (or dooming) to one woman's quest for vengeance, and probably throws up examples of just about everything that can exist in fantasy as long as it co-exists with plenty of violence. Fantasy genres are ridiculously poorly defined things its true, but if I say Epic you know it will be huge and sprawling and full of politics, if I say Heroic or S&S you know it'll be about a small group of people solving dangerous times with steel, if I say High you know it'll be full of knights and monsters and so on...

Grimdark? Blood and amorality and cynicism, right? Well... you can apply those things to anything. So mood not genre - makes sense to me.

Incidentally, this is why I'd agree that Martin doesn't feel grimdark. His characters aren't amoral and cynical enough. They're a step beyond a lot of the big names prior to that I guess, if you decide to forget about Moorcock, Cook, Howard and Anderson (not that I've read his books, but going by reports), but most of those considered big grimdark authors today take it a step further than Martin. A considerable step further. I know a lot of people call Martin grimdark, but I've yet to read any compelling logic for why he is that doesn't leave the label so broad and wide anything could count. Although not as wide as trying to fit in Gemmell and Sanderson, both of whom are about as amoral as the New Testament.

Unless Abercrombie. Personally I'd say any grimdark definition that doesn't include Abercrombie's First Law and spin-off books isn't fit for purpose.

p.s. Speaking of Abercrombie and The First Law and ExTended's post, I can't think of a single incident of rape in TFL apart from King Brat's wife getting blackmailed by someone else into going along with it, not that we see the deed on page. Google tells me I'm missing an incidence of Glokta threatening gangrape and West throwing a would-be rapist off a cliff. I don't think its fair to say the series is about raping people.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Darwin

That's sort of like when someone tells a racist joke but it's not funny because they seem to believe the premise.

18. ExTended

I was just poking at grimdark and we both know that, so why do you have to take it out of context?

I like epic fantasy, and I like grimdark fantasy. And to some extent urban fantasy. And each of those sub-genres have some over-exploited sub-genre specific gimmicks, or isn't that true?

I like the books I like and that's enough for me. Some may put aSoIaF in the epic fantasy shelf, others in the grimdark shelf - what is it to me where the book was shelved in the bookstore, if book 6 turns out to be as dissapointing as book 5?

EDIT: If I am crass about something, it's the ferver with which some fans would argue the sub-genre categorization as if it's the most important thing in the world. It's not. Every small fantasy community has its own standarts, every bookstore too - in the end of the day a book is more than one feeling, or theme, or sub-genre, hopefully.

19. Alucard

Sorry, didn't come of as joking to me. Came of as dead serious, as in you actually believe that shit.

20. Peat

Peat Journeyed there and back again

Would make Mercedes Lackey Queen of Grimdark though. I like the idea of her as Queen of Grimdark.