The book you don't like that most everyone else seems to like ...

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
Safe to say I hope Sanderson doesn't return to that world.
Oh didn't you hear? He planned a sequel already.

Btw, I'm not giving up on reading him just yet. I sneak in a few pages here and there of The Way of Kings when I have the time, and so far it's ok. I'm not far in, but there's nothing that particularly annoys me as it did with Elantris.

Griffin

Journeyed there and back again
Well, I guess I don't have to read, although he has since much evolved. I don't know, I'll see when it comes around and the reviews are published.

The Way of Kings is way better, so that shouldn't give you problems. Especially since the sequel is even better.

ofer

Nothing like a good rant. Never got to read Elantris. Maybe I'll do it some day but it's not high on my list of priorities.
Safe to say I hope Sanderson doesn't return to that world.
http://www.amazon.com/Emperors-Soul...1431954442&sr=1-20&keywords=brandon+sanderson
http://brandonsanderson.com/books/elantris/the-emperors-soul/

Not a direct sequel, and it's only a novella (a long one, though - 177 pages). According to Sanderson's site it takes place in the same world as Elantris, but in a different region with different characters.

Griffin

@ofer, I've read (and loved) The Emperor's Soul. Clear example of his more recent work and apart from him actually saying it is in the same world as Elantris, nothing is similar to it.

Last edited:

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
I have to know some variables.

[INQUISITION_ON]How old were you when you read the books? Did you finish them? How old are you now? Did you read them in your native language? Where they the first fantasy books you've ever read? Did you read any other works by Tolkien? If so, what's your opinion about these other works?[INQUISITION_OFF]

Really, I'm dying to know the answers to these questions, as this would make me understand it better why you don't like LOTR.

kenubrion

I have to know some variables.

[INQUISITION_ON]How old were you when you read the books? Did you finish them? How old are you now? Did you read them in your native language? Where they the first fantasy books you've ever read? Did you read any other works by Tolkien? If so, what's your opinion about these other works?[INQUISITION_OFF]

Really, I'm dying to know the answers to these questions, as this would make me understand it better why you don't like LOTR.
No one expects the Silvion Night inquisition.

sonnet

Is a wondrous friend of modest Kruppe
how old were you when you read the books? Did you finish them? How old are you now? Did you read them in your native language? Where they the first fantasy books you've ever read? Did you read any other works by Tolkien? If so, what's your opinion about these other works?.
Ok, so, here is my why.
Firstly, I've not read The Hobbit. I've found my love of fantasy only a year or so ago so there is a lot I haven't read that the majority of fantasy fans have (like Wheel of Time is still on the to read pile). I used to read Crime.

My daughter is nearly 6 so The Hobbit is something I'm saving to read and discover with her.

I've tried to read LOTR, but I can not get into it. I don't know why I just can't get past the endless description of hobbits and hobbit culture and history and geography. I tried about a year ago and then I tried again before Christmas and got to the start of the journey at least. But, I really was forcing myself and I kept thinking that I could be reading something I actually enjoy.

I honestly can't tell you what it is. I've read very little, that wasn't forced upon me by school, that is older than me (I'm almost 30), so maybe there is something in that?

I also didn't like the films...the Hobbit ones were alright but the first three were boring....and long...and I didn't understand most of what was going on (maybe I'm just too thick?)

Axcellence

A farm boy with a sword
Outside of ender's game, anything that orson Scott card has written which I've read.

His mithermages series went downhill so fast after the first book, that I had to leave book 2 incomplete.

Completely shitlisted now!