The book you don't like that most everyone else seems to like ...

Haven

Became a Faceless Man
And The Name of the Wind BETTER NOT BE CRAP ... I'VE BEEN SAVING READING THIS FOR YEARS.
I think you may be disappointed.

Don't get me wrong, I think both the books were fantastic, and I still consider them some of the best fantasy books out there( as does most of the fantasy fandom I believe). But there is no book or series that will 100% satisfy your expectations if you've put off reading for as long as you have.

What I can say for sure is that you will be spared the agony of having to suffer the ridiculous wait for Books 2 & 3.

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
When someones says they don't really like it (or haven't read it at all like @Alucard ), I feel incredulous. It's a gut reaction though, no rational thought behind it whatsoever.
I didn't read fantasy as a kid or a teen. I read kids literature and classics mostly. There's a sea of authors from Bosnia, Serbia and Croatia that I have read which were more available to me than foreign authors in those years due to language and library availability. Later came philosophy books and academic papers, and I was swamped with study books to even care about reading for pleasure.
I only started reading fantasy around 2008-2009 (in English), and that was only few books a year. I only really started reading a lot around 2012.

Sorry for my little book reading history, I just wanted to illustrate to you that depending on where a person is born and when personal reading histories differentiate substantially. There's no need to feel incredulous about our diversity. Although I completely understand that initial reaction.

I'm into that! :)
Just give me a sign when you'd Like to start it. I'll be starting MBotF soon, but viewing the enormity of the series I'll probably switch a bit with other books And series. LotR could be one of those series
I'm in the middle of MBotF as well, and I do exactly that. Maybe we can do that around autumn? I'll set up a book club, so we can discuss, and anybody thinking of re-reading the series is welcome to join. That way we can have a LotR reading event :)

Ser Pounce

Journeyed there and back again
I'm in the middle of MBotF as well, and I do exactly that. Maybe we can do that around autumn? I'll set up a book club, so we can discuss, and anybody thinking of re-reading the series is welcome to join. That way we can have a LotR reading event :)
Autumn should work for me
I'll be moving in the summer, but by September-October I should be settled :)
I'd be interested, too. Loved the movies but couldn't get myself to continue reading the first book after a couple chapters. A book club might be what I need to push myself since I do want to read LotR at least once.

afa

Wow. Pretty much all of the books I could come up with have already been mentioned.

Anything by China Mieville.
This! Ten times this!

Hmm, I wouldn't go as far as to say I didn't like The Broken Empire, but from the opinions I read about this series I probably liked it less than others.
Ditto.

The Hobbit: this thing was so God awfully boring that I gave up.
While I didn't give up on the book and did go on to finish it, I agree. It was a rather boring book.

One big problem with the Broken Empire trilogy by Mark Lawrence was that it was over hyped. It was a fast read and I did end up enjoying it, but not nearly as much as I thought I would. Lawrence kept my attention for all three books (except for part of the second volume in the swamps), so that's good. My favourite aspect of the books was the world-building.
This sums up almost exactly how I feel, including the bit about the swamps.

I'm also not overly crazy about The Lies of Locke Lamora, but I keep reading that series anyway.
Also and this is going to be controversial...but I wasn't bowled over by The Name of the Wind.
Oh, man! I was really, really hoping I would be the first one to bring those two names out! Dang it! I thought Lies was actually passable (though not great) but the sequel, Red Seas Under Red Skies, was horrible. I disliked it enough that I decided to give up on the series. Haven't read the third book, and I don't intend to read the rest of the series.

And Rothfuss - as with what @Boreas said about Lawrence, I feel The Name of the Wind was overhyped. Sure, it's good. But it's not that good. And The Wise Man's Fear I would say was outright bad. I kept getting increasingly angry the more times he mentioned whats-her-face (the love interest?). What an utterly uninteresting character. And the pacing of the series is puzzling. We're now two-thirds of the way through the trilogy, and Kvothe doesn't seem to be anywhere close to being the legend-inspiring king-killer he's supposed to be. Just how much action is Rothfuss planning on packing into the finale? Shouldn't something of actual interest have happened by now? Unlike with Scott Lynch, I will see this series through to the end, if only because there's just one more book to go. But I feel like Rothfuss gets a lot of leeway because of his writing. No one can deny that he has a way with words; his prose is masterful. But I feel people get so lost in awe over his prose, that they fail to realise there is very little actually happening in the story.

I want to add two more names. I don't if it counts, as it doesn't look like many here have read it. But as critically acclaimed as this book seems to be, I just didn't like The Mirror Empire by Kameron Hurley. The other? American Gods by Neil Gaiman. As positively received as both these books are, I just couldn't get engaged and at no point found myself looking forward to reading them. I've already offered more detailed thoughts on the BFB blog on Gaiman, and The Mirror Empire review should be up shortly, as well.

Last edited:

Jakyro

Fatal Rose said:
The Hobbit: this thing was so God awfully boring that I gave up.
While I didn't give up on the book and did go on to finish it, I agree. It was a rather boring book.
I wasn't a huge fan of The Hobbit either; especially the ending was lacking for me. I know it's a children's book, but the final battle didn't provide what you could expect from it. I'm glad I've read it, but I don't think it's something I'll re-read soon.

I want to add two more names. I don't if it counts, as it doesn't look like many here have read it. But as critically acclaimed as this book seems to be, I just didn't like The Mirror Empire by Kameron Hurley. The other? American Gods by Neil Gaiman. As positively received as both these books are, I just couldn't get engaged and at no point found myself looking forward to reading them. I've already offered more detailed thoughts on the BFB blog on Gaiman, and The Mirror Empire review should be up shortly, as well.
I also didn't like American Gods all that much. I gave it 3 stars on Goodreads, but after 2 months I'm thinking I maybe gave it too much. The concept of the book was interesting and the writing was good, but I agree with you that it wasn't all that engaging. At some point the story was just plain boring and I wasn't really looking forward to reading any further. But as I don't quit any books, I continued reading. The story did pick up afterwards and I liked the ending pretty well , but overall I wasn't really satisfied.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
I also didn't like American Gods all that much. I gave it 3 stars on Goodreads, but after 2 months I'm thinking I maybe gave it too much. The concept of the book was interesting and the writing was good, but I agree with you that it wasn't all that engaging. At some point the story was just plain boring and I wasn't really looking forward to reading any further. But as I don't quit any books, I continued reading. The story did pick up afterwards and I liked the ending pretty well , but overall I wasn't really satisfied.
It's certainly my least favourite of Gaiman's books - saying that I adored his other books (which I've read), Stardust in particular.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
It's certainly my least favourite of Gaiman's books - saying that I adored his other books (which I've read), Stardust in particular.
I thought American Gods was better than Ocean at the end of the lane. I really liked both though. His best book in my opinion is either Neverwhere or Anansi Boys.

SparklingLu

Philosophizes with Kellhus
The sword of Truth... i didn't make it past the first half of the first book. Another line of Richard moaning over Kahlan and i would have cut my wrists...

MorteTorment

Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune
I have no idea how popular he is here, but for the life of me I can't get into R. A. Salvatores work outside of The Dark Elf Trilogy(which I still have a lot of affection for.) I hate how he seems to do almost all the books in the Forgotten Realms too, because I'd really like to find more than one series there that I could enjoy, because I really love the concepts behind it.

Now for something that's a little harder to say.

Ok, I know that these ones are extremely popular, but please understand that I'm not being a troll here. I think that these two series deserve every single shred of admiration and respect that they've been given.

aSoIaF: Tried to read Game of Thrones and and made it to...the results of the boar hunt. Every day I'd go to borders, read several chapters, come home, and give updates to a friend that had read all of the books at that time. I loved probably about half of the book, and the discussions with him helped keep it fresh in my mind. I'd tell him everything that I considered important and interesting. Then I started reading so many chapters and I asked him what the fucking point of them was. He explained it, and I was always like ...okay? Essentially, the series is a bit to complex for me, and I can't help but think about how it might gets much much more complex from here. Shame too, because it's got some very compelling characters. My favorite of which is the boy who has crippled limbs, but yet can ride a horse like he's ridden one his entire life. He's so inspiring!

...here goes.

Lord of the Rings: I tried to read the first two books. gave up about halfway with each. The books spend way too much time telling us about lands in the world where no one in the present ever goes. It felt like there were full pages dedicated to describing just what the area looked like. It felt like there was more time spend towards world building than anything else. And I don't give two shits about world building. Oh, and btw, Peter Jackson's tmovie is my favorite movie. And yes, I consider all three movies to be all one long, epic movie, and I wouldn't have read them if it weren't for the movies. I also wouldn't have read as much as I have past my teens if It weren't for the movies, so even though I don't like your books, thank you Tolkien fans for making the movies enough of a success to get them all released, and getting me into books again! Seriously, just thank you!

MorteTorment

The sword of Truth... i didn't make it past the first half of the first book. Another line of Richard moaning over Kahlan and i would have cut my wrists...
From what I've heard about the main character, I don't even wanna touch the series. Mr. killer of pacifists.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
I think you will find that most people DON'T like that series, actually. I read the whole thing and I am sorry that I did.

MorteTorment

I think you will find that most people DON'T like that series, actually. I read the whole thing and I am sorry that I did.
Really? What did you hate about it? I'll never read it, so go ahead feel free to go spoiler crazy, just make sure to add a spoiler warning.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
I read the first book. It was by far the worst fantasy book I've ever read.

SparklingLu

Philosophizes with Kellhus
I'll paste here a piece of a review i found on goodreads that's pretty accurate, according to what i've read :D:

Richard and Kahlen's Relationship Timeline:

Day One:
Richard: "Kahlen, now that we just met, we're the bestestest friends aren't we?"
Kahlen: "We sure are."

Day Two:
Richard: "Kahlen, we're the bestestest of friends and I would give my life for you even though we just met."
Kahlen: "Me too!"

Day Three:
Richard: "Kahlen, I love you more than life itself. What? It's only been three days? Well, that still seems sensible."
Kahlen: "My sentiments exactly!"

Days Four through 20:
Richard: "Love, love, love."
Kahlen: "I love you, but we can never be together ever because of the magic."

Days 21 through 30:
Random Mord Sith comes in out of nowhere.

Days >30:
See Days Four through 20.