The book you don't like that most everyone else seems to like ...

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member

GreyMouser

Journeyed there and back again
I loved the First Law books but didn't like Best Served Cold and haven't been able to get through The Heroes yet. I've actually started it twice and put it down twice in the last 2 years.

It may be that I'm just not that interested in the characters. I miss The Bloody Nine!

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
I miss The Bloody Nine!
Well, without giving anything away, I suggest you carry on with the standalones, and you might possibly, although not saying you definitely will, be quite happy when you reach a certain point of one of them, but for reason which I will not go into any further detail on :happy:

GreyMouser

Well, without giving anything away, I suggest you carry on with the standalones, and you might possibly, although not saying you definitely will, be quite happy when you reach a certain point of one of them, but for reason which I will not go into any further detail on :happy:
Thanks Tom, I will definitely try to make it through to this certain point. There are just a lot of other books that have been able to draw me away. And I loved First law!

For some reason I just can't seem to bring myself to care enough about the other characters to hold my interest.

MorteTorment

Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune
It's mind bo9ggling to me that some fantasy fans haven't read LOTR. It basically is the foundation of the modern fantasy genre. Where I live the Hobbit and LOTR are must reads for Young Adults. Nothing against you guys of course.
Again, I tried. The books won't stop talking about locations that no one ever goes to.

Not everyone cares about world building.

MorteTorment

Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune
I think Abercrombie has become stronger and stronger as a writer, the more he's written. I generally prefer his standalones to his initial trilogy, and his new trilogy is shaping up to rival the standalones. Have you read The Heroes, Best Served Cold or Red Country?
Couldn't the same be said for all authors?

kenubrion

I loved the First Law books but didn't like Best Served Cold and haven't been able to get through The Heroes yet. I've actually started it twice and put it down twice in the last 2 years.

It may be that I'm just not that interested in the characters. I miss The Bloody Nine!
Well then you must have loved Red Country, right?

GreyMouser

Well then you must have loved Red Country, right?
I have not read it yet. I read someone's opinion that it was a disappointing return for Logen.

kenubrion

I have not read it yet. I read someone's opinion that it was a disappointing return for Logen.
Well by all means, listen to that advice and ignore the book, since you don't miss him. Oh wait...

kenubrion

GreyMouser

Well by all means, listen to that advice and ignore the book, since you don't miss him. Oh wait...
Didn't read it YET. I will definitely read it and I appreciate your help. Sheesh.

Anti_Quated

Tolkien's work certainly wasn't unique; there had long been fiction set on secondary worlds and he himself confessed that his desire was to create a mythology. There are obvious comparisons to Homer; while certainly shorter than Lord of the Rings, his Iliad and Odyssey were certainly epics - in fact, they're almost the textbook example of the epic.
This... so much. Homer's work is swoon-worthy; such grandiloquence and gorgeous descriptions which still the heart remarkably. I'm not as fond of Ionic Greek as I am Attic and Doric dialects (though Homeric Greek has a purity and timbre all its own), if you've sufficient time and resources on hand to pursue learning Classical Greek, it's utterly beautiful and sumptuous to read in the original language. Harvard University Press' Loeb editions are wonderful for this, sharing a solid translation alongside the original Greek text on the opposite page. $25 a piece, not too shabby either (though you'll pay a third of that for most Penguin/Oxford paperback translations).

GreyMouser

Red Country - It had Logen, but he wasn't the same and the story was weak IMOIMO.
This is the quote where I recently read that Logen was in Red Country for the first time. You have to admit, it would be a bit sad to read about a washed up Logen.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
Anything from the hands of Nicholas Sparks or Chetan Bhagat. Everyone love their love stories but they only serve to bore me.
Never heard of these authors to be honest, so I wouldn't say "everyone" loves them.

Nicholas Sparks is a love story writer and his novels are normally made into movies and liked by girls. Chetan Bhagat is a famous Indian writer, same love story writer that girls and boys both like. Mainly I guess I have problem with romance.