The Confession thread

l3gacy

Dr. Awesomesauce
Staff member
We all have dirty secrets about us... things you hide from the rest of the forum, things you don't acknowledge you are guilty of. But you know. You know what you've done, or not done. So, clean your soul and admit it here.

My confessions:

I have not read any Patrick Rothfuss book, nor are his books particularly high on my to-read list.
I find the Lord of the Rings books quite boring.
I liked The Redemption of Althalus by David Eddings.
When reading all the Pug/Feist/Midkemia books, I skipped the Empire trilogy just because it was coauthored.
I thought Mistborn was just okay, and have read no Sanderson works other than Mistborn and his partial authorship of the final Wheel of Time books.

Don't you judge me. Your turn. 'Fess up.

Ok i wont judge, but i strongly advice the reading of Name of the Wind.
My biggest sins are:
- I think Silmarillion was so boring, i had to close it.
- I think Tolkien is really overated but shhh dont tell anyone.
- I haven´t read a single book of Wot and im not much eager to start it.

Hikerike

Owns a Ring of Power
I guess I feel the same about Mistborn, although i like Sanderson i thought that the final empire was very good but the rest of the series was okay.
I still love Harry Potter very much, it was together with Bilbo what got me into reading, and fantasy in particular.
I still own a copy of Twilight.
For some wierd reason some of my friends think im super smart because i enjoy reading and i have stopped trying to argue that.

Bierschneeman

Journeyed there and back again
I have More TBR books on my shelves than stuff Ive read.
I THINK Mark Twain is THE WORST American Author ever. and when I hear otherwise All respect from the person stating thus goes directly into the garbage.
I think Earthsea is overated
I have never read a word of Twilight, but I have very strong opinions on it, (and I hold True Blood to the same hatred.)

edit
Ohh I have tried three times to read Game of thrones and failed, I think GRRM is a lackluster predictable author who pulls out stops to convince you its worth reading (or at least thats the opinion I gather from only making it to page 100).....the tv show pretty awesome.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
Here's some from me:

I realized early on that Brandon Sanderson writes the same book over and over (I think Joao has brought up the Sanderson theme on other threads but was never so harsh as to call it the same book), but it took me far too long to realize Mercedes Lackey does the same thing. (For what it's worth, I'll read Sanderson again but not Lackey. Hopefully that redeems me a bit.)

Also, I've spent far too much time reading bad fantasy: Sword of Truth series, Sword of Shannara series, Recluce series, most everything I've picked up by Sara Douglass, most everything I've picked up by Karen Miller, the aforementioned Mercedes Lackey books, etc.

And, I've never read anything by Neil Gaiman. Lately he's been irritating me, anyway, because he's going around playing "professional author" (e.g. giving graduation speeches) and writing children's books and not coming out with new novels and defending George R.R. Martin's writing pace (according to a Gaiman fan I know -- I really don't pay much attention to the guy, honestly).

I'm sure there's more, but I think we had a thread like this sometime last year and I probably put it all there.

moonspawn

I have taken a vow never to read the wheel of time (I have good reasons for this "odd" decision).
I hated the simarillion
Terry Brooks is the author that got me really "into" fantasy. I think I would still enjoy the word and the void trilogy and the Genesis of Shannarah if I were to re-read them.

Amaryllis

I didn't know it was actually an orangutan when I took it on that date. The light wasn't very good, and they acted cordial enough at first. And so what if I decided we were going to finish the movie and go to dinner after? I had reservations already, and I didn't know it was being filmed...

Oh wait, wrong kind of confession? Oops.

Amaryllis

For realsies though:

I didn't like Lord of the Rings either. I did like the Silmarillion, on the other hand. Does this make me sort of cultured? Or still a total dunce, as the comment section for this series on this site likes to suggest?

I think the first book of Malazan might actually be one of the worst fantasy books I've ever read. Like, it's competently written, but...I don't care about anything happening in the world. And it's not that I have trouble keeping up with it (I have no trouble with names, but there's still trouble by default given that he never explains anything, ever). It's that it's just kind of there, and happening. How does immersion into a world not occur to someone as being a prerequisite to repeatedly dropping money to read its continuing story? Was this book ever supposed to be sold, or was it some weird personal fantasy that got wrestled out of his hands?

Neil Gaiman isn't that good an author. He's a GREAT idea man, but not a good author. So you aren't missing much.

Although the reasons may or may not be the same, I feel much the same way about Joe Abercrombie as l3gacy does about Rothfuss.

Regarding Malazan i´m the lawyer haha. What you have said about steven Eriksen is precisely what we fans of the books love about it. In the first book you are dropped in a void of action and most of the things you have to understand by yourself, he drop some hints though and normally explains it later. I could be defending is work( im in the middle of memories of ice) for hours, but you have to understand that these author demands some effort by the reader wich is well rewarded as soon as you start to understand the depth of his world. Its defenitely a master peace ( at least untill the third book). Sorry for the off topic.

Another confession:
-I do think that George R R Martin ain´t as good as everyone thinks and if some says he is the GOAT of fantasy writting i might chop is head off,:rolleyes: especially when its the only books you have read of this kind.
- J.K.ROwling i dont understand all the praise she gets, and i die everytime someone mention Robin Hobb in comparison, just because its a woman too.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
Regarding Malazan i´m the lawyer haha. What you have said about steven Eriksen is precisely what we fans of the books love about it. In the first book you are dropped in a void of action and most of the things you have to understand by yourself, he drop some hints though and normally explains it later. I could be defending is work( im in the middle of memories of ice) for hours, but you have to understand that these author demands some effort by the reader wich is well rewarded as soon as you start to understand the depth of his world. Its defenitely a master peace ( at least untill the third book). Sorry for the off topic.
I'm going to agree with you on that one, actually.

Try reading Sword of Truth sometime. After about the 100th explanation of how Richard and Kahlan met, or some other thing (blah, blah, blah), you're like, STOP EXPLAINING IT TO ME. I GOT IT THE FIRST TIME. But that's because I HAD read Erikson first. Actually, I read the first couple of books multiple times. It puts an entirely different perspective on things when you know who Shadowthrone and Dancer are. There's a secret identity character like that in Memories of Ice, too, but I won't spoil it for you. It's just interesting to go back and read scenes with him in them, again, after you're onto the secret.

I do agree that there's a personal fantasy element to the Malazan books, though. Probably because it evolved from Erikson's and ICE's role-playing sessions...

Im glad you agree. Eriksen has a master degree on doing plot twists and foreshadowing for sure. When you find the identity of shdowthrone and cotillion ,everything you´ve read in Got starts to make more sense and you look at it with a new perspectve. I found extremelly funny when im trying to take my own conclusions and foreshadowing even more that Steven Eriksen does,and in the end im wrong! On the other hand Steven Eriksen "duos" are pretty awesome (ex: Shadowthrone and Cotillion, Mappo and Icarium). Im still baffled how he manage to have some many characters, some times its almost impossible to say wich ones are main ones, and you still develop a really deep relation with all of them ( Coltaine for instance) and all the Bridgeburners.
I need to stop trying to shove these books down people throats but they are so good, and i think they are not "Hail" enough.

Another confession:
- I respect more a man as a writer than a woman i dont know why , exception Robin Hobb.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
Another confession:
- I respect more a man as a writer than a woman i dont know why , exception Robin Hobb.
Maybe one day I'll change that! (I'm a woman and I write although I am not published yet.)

I do think a lot of women writers (in fantasy) suck: Karen Miller, Sara Douglass, a good chunk of Kate Elliott, Mercedes Lackey, etc. -- and I just do not see what the big deal is about Jo Walton (I hated Among Others, and it won all kinds of awards); also, I do not think Elizabeth Moon is fun to read at all -- her characters are boring and have no personalities (and I'd put Paks front and center among those)

Although there are also some good ones: Carol Berg, Robin Hobb, Catherynne M. Valente, N.K. Jemisin (depending on your tastes), Octavia Butler

Amaryllis

I have long since had Malazan 'spoiled' for me by people posting blithely about it on a different forum, and me having never even heard of it, so I was just like 'eh, what will reading this hurt.' I do know who Ammanas and Cotillion are
(although I don't know exactly how it happened to them, if it's ever explained). I know about Kallor and what he used to be, and about the crippled god, and what happens to him
, because I have a fantastic memory for things I don't need to remember. So really, the intangibles have a little more weight for me, as I'm unlikely to be surprised by the majority of plot twists, already knowing how the series ends.

Antoxx

My confessions are:
I haven't read either of GRRM or Rothfuss yet.
I have a spreadsheet of every fantasy book I've read and ranked every single one of them.
I really enjoyed Harry Potter.

Jon Snow

No Power in the Verse can stop me
Staff member
Yeah I haven't read Rothfuss or Erikson yet. Though I do have the latter on my shelves.

I also agree with the Mistborn trilogy wasn't the best out there, BUT I do feel that The Final Empire book is probably the most important book to the fantasy genre in the last 10 years.

Beginning to feel that Abercrombie is overrated as none of his books after First Law are inspiring (maybe The Heroes...maybe).

corfe99

Killed in the battle against the Mad King
I find Jim Butcher to be an overrated author. I just finished his "Codex Alera" series and I thought they were somewhat forgettable. They were heavy on over-the-top action and shallow on character development.

I've also read eight out of the ten books in Steven Erikson's Malazan series. I don't know if I'll finish them because I think the series fell to pieces in "Toll the Hounds". I felt like that book had nothing to do with the overall plot. Erikson also desperately needs a good editor.

Antoxx

I've also read eight out of the ten books in Steven Erikson's Malazan series. I don't know if I'll finish them because I think the series fell to pieces in "Toll the Hounds". I felt like that book had nothing to do with the overall plot. Erikson also desperately needs a good editor.
I tend to think of Malazan as stand alone books loosely tied together as a collective for the purpose of plot progression. They rate as my favourite of all times albeit I'm not so blinded as to not see faults in the series. All that aside i don't know if I could get through 80% of the series and see the end in sight and not finish them off (and technically you're 89% finished as final two novels are supposed to be the final novel but split in two).

yobtaf

A farm boy with a sword
Well...my confessions.
First off I don't actually like reading all that much and I haven't read a lot :p
So many people think Tolkien is overrated lol. Hehe I love Tolkien.
Although I'll admit I liked the Silmarillion and the Children of Hurin and the appendix of ROTK far more than the actual LOTR books :p
And I dislike hobbits
I used to like Twilight (very ashamed of this -.-)
I hated Eragon from when I first set eyes on it as a 10yr old. I felt the need to include this redeeming statement after the aforementioned one.
I kind of think GRRM is kind of overrated and I didn't actually like a Game of Thrones (Clash of Kings got me into the series)
Never read MBOTF or WOT or most other notable fantasy books (i will get to them one day)
I often read the full plot summary before reading a book...
Deltora Quest was the first fantasy I can remember really liking

Sir Arthur

I enjoyed the Hunger games books.

I also really liked the Dragonlance trilogy

I've never and will never read any Harry Potter, in fact I don't even like the films.

I've never read a book twice, I just can't do it.

As much as I enjoy reading, I'd rather go mountainbiking.