The Confession thread

Maybe one day I'll change that! (I'm a woman and I write although I am not published yet.)

I hope you will change that seriously! Are you expecting to be published soon? Well since you like Malazan i can already tell that you have a good taste in books and that is certainly a good place to start=)

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
I hope you will change that seriously! Are you expecting to be published soon? Well since you like Malazan i can already tell that you have a good taste in books and that is certainly a good place to start=)
No, not expecting to be published soon. Decided after 1 rejection to do some editing, which has morphed into a substantial rewrite. Unwilling to self-publish, so realistically, it could be years.

No, not expecting to be published soon. Decided after 1 rejection to do some editing, which has morphed into a substantial rewrite. Unwilling to self-publish, so realistically, it could be years.
Rejection is the "tea cup" of a lot of great writers, dont worry about that. I would love to hear about what your writing.

Jon Snow

No Power in the Verse can stop me
Staff member
I have an idea for a book too, only like 2000 words though...been on the back burner for years. I'm waiting until I become a stay at home dad =P (keep dreaming...I know)

Jon Snow

Staff member
Haha. That's a tough gig, looking after kids! I go to work to get a rest. =)
I usually look after 30...so to go down to one seems like a dream!

Jon Snow

Staff member
That's what my wife thought! I stlll need to get myself sorted and pick up The Charnel Prince if you're still offering.
Yeah, it's still here waiting for you since...oh FEBRUARY!

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
You guys ready for it?

I don't watch Game of Thrones.
I'm still working my way through the 2nd season. I'll get to the 3rd season this time next year, I imagine.

Riposte

Philosophizes with Kellhus
I can't get into urban fantasy. Tried Daniel Abraham's urban fantasy and found it dreadful which is a shame since I like everything else he's done. Dresden Files is 14 books and no end in sight so I'm going to pass on that series which leads to my next confession.

For now, I'm done with series that are planned to go longer than 3 or 4 books. I used to seek out series like this and I do still intend to finish the ones I'm in the middle of reading, but I've found the results of the long series I have read to be mixed at best. So many things can go wrong the longer a series stretches and I'm just washing my hands of these mammoths, at least for the time being.

moonspawn

Journeyed there and back again
I think the name of the wind is grossly overrated, especially on this site.
The way of kings is the best fantasy novel I have read. It should be at number 1!
I thought the Lord of the Rings was boring.
I think most of the lists on this site are ordered badly (name of the wind at 4 and Mistborn at 45 - how does this make any since at all).

Who said Mistborn wasn't the best. I think it was Jon Snow. I have to disagree with that.

Jon Snow

Staff member
I think the name of the wind is grossly overrated, especially on this site.
The way of kings is the best fantasy novel I have read. It should be at number 1!
I thought the Lord of the Rings was boring.
I think most of the lists on this site are ordered badly (name of the wind at 4 and Mistborn at 45 - how does this make any since at all).

Who said Mistborn wasn't the best. I think it was Jon Snow. I have to disagree with that.
Ah see but then you only half quote me. Did you not see that I said that Mistborn is probably the most important book to fantasy in the last 10 years? It also happens to be one of my top 5 books. The series is good, not great.

The reason why Way of Kings is not number one is purely because it is only one book. I would say Lies of Locke would be much higher if not for the second book.

My confessions: I absolutely despised Thomas Covenant, and never finished Canticle for Leibowitz due to extreme boredom. I also thought the Silmarillion was garbage. I tend to read my kids YA books, and have enjoyed quite a few of them.(especially the lightning thief, and Fablehaven series) I also would take the Chronicles of Prydain from Lloyd Alexander over C.S. Lewis any day. Lastly, if there is some kind of weird religious aspect to a fantasy book, I'll like it.(Deryni books-Kurtz, Psalms of Isaac-Scholes, Left Hand of God-Hoffman)

l3gacy

Dr. Awesomesauce
Staff member
I've only read one China Meiville book (for the first book club here on the site), Un Lun Dun, and thought it was meh. I haven't read any other books of his because of this.

Once upon a time, I thought Piers Anthony's Xanth books were good.

I think GRRM is overrated and only 3/5 of ASOIAF is good. The last two have been dull and I only read Dance with Dragons because I felt like I had to. It took me 2 months.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
I've only read one China Meiville book (for the first book club here on the site), Un Lun Dun, and thought it was meh. I haven't read any other books of his because of this.
I read The City & The City and Perdido Street Station and I wasn't wowed by either of those. I haven't read any of his other books after those experiences, either.

Sandman

Has been in the eye of the world
Wow confessions............hmmm where to begin

I, too, think GRRM is overrated. He is good but not great. His last couple of books in ASOIAF were not nearly as good as the first couple. The HBO show, imo, is much better than the books. It takes the best parts of the books and ignores the parts that I had to trudge thru........

Lord of the Rings is overrated. Read them once and have no interest in reading them again. Should not be rated as high as they are.

I like many YA fantasy novels. Rick Riordan and Cinda Chima I think are very good. The Artemis Fowl series started off well but each succeeding book was worse than the previous one. It was hard to finish the last couple in the 8 book series.

And lastly, I seem to like the Eragon series more than most on here. It was not great but was good. For comparison, I'd rather reread Eragon than the Daylight War (which was a huge disappointment).

Doing the confessions makes me think a new topic should be started listing the books you absolutely just could not finish because they were so bad.

moonspawn

Journeyed there and back again
Ah see but then you only half quote me. Did you not see that I said that Mistborn is probably the most important book to fantasy in the last 10 years? It also happens to be one of my top 5 books. The series is good, not great.

The reason why Way of Kings is not number one is purely because it is only one book. I would say Lies of Locke would be much higher if not for the second book.
I actually did see that you said Mistborn was the most important fantasy book in recent years. I definitely agree with that; very original and innovative trilogy. However, I disagree with you that it's good but not great. Mistborn is a true masterpiece in my opinion. It is masterfully handled and everything that happens seems to have significance and all of the threads are tied perfectly at the end. It is also extremely unpredictable. Something is supposed to happen a certain way and the opposite ends up happening. I love how Sanderson twists the prophesy and dark lord cliches. I don't understand why you say Mistborn isn't great. I understand the well of Ascension isn't as good as the other two books, but I think a little leeway can be allowed there considering the fact that it is a transition book between the first and the third. Point B in this case is boring to some, but I still really liked it.